Australian Sport Attendance Records

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

cam wrote:Fox Sports and Sportal aren't credible? :lol:

Gee, all the websites use the term 'Association Football' don't they!!

As I said, we've had this discussion long before your time bud.
Get used to it.
Out of sheer interest, who were the people on the side of referring to a match played 20 years before the AFL existed as an 'AFL grand final'?
Other than your good self of course, to which i'm sure you take your role as a history revisionist very seriously. :roll:

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

The way I see it:

The dominant code in my house: Association football
The dominant code on the planet: Association football

So when I say football, I mean association football.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Rob wrote:Out of sheer interest, who were the people on the side of referring to a match played 20 years before the AFL existed as an 'AFL grand final'?
Other than your good self of course, to which i'm sure you take your role as a history revisionist very seriously. :roll:
Coming from you... where the AFL doesn't even exist yet considering in your little part of the world, Perth, you're 30 years back in time.

I love your tone & attitude in regards to suggestions to the site, you really make me want to listen to your advice and volunteer even more of my time to make changes. :roll:

You could argue either way in regards to the 1970 Grand Final, yes obviously back then it was the VFL Grand Final, but mention that today to someone from NSW and QLD, and they'll probably think you're talking about the current VFL (former VFA). Out of principal, I reckon I'll leave it as it is. And I'll give you a tip, next time you have a suggestion, maybe don't be so aggressive or don't make it at all, mate.

Paul.
Bronze

Post by Paul. »

http://www.austadiums.com/sport/crowd_records.php

The 99 NRL GF is 107,999. Originally it was 107,558 but at some point later on it ws amended.

mattwinter
Bronze

Post by mattwinter »

Rob wrote:
cam wrote:
Rob wrote:FFS, at least get the terminology right man. 'AFL' is not a type of football, in any case the AFL wasn't around in 1970, and that particular game was most certainly not an AFL grand final.
Get a grip Rob. I'm more of a "Australian Rules Football" person than you. However, we've had this discussion on here before. As a Melburnian, I refer to the sport as "Footy" or "Football", however calling it that is going to confuse the hell out of everyone isn't it! Soccer is now Football. If the term "AFL" is used, everyone knows what we're talking about. As for "Aussie Rules", that's a sh*t Sydney term. "Australian Rules Football" is too long winded to be used on a website. Think: AFL, AFL Victoria, AFL Queensland, AFL Sydney, etc.

Maybe send an email to the two biggest Australian sports websites: www.foxsports.com.au and www.sportal.com.au , get them to change it from "AFL", then I'll follow. :roll: In the meantime, get over it.
The correct name of the game is 'Australian football'.

The correct name for soccer is, and has been for a long time, 'Association football'.

'Aussie Rules', 'Australian rules' and whatever other name, much like 'soccer' is a colloquialism.

I don't mind the term AFL football if you're talking about football played in the AFL. But if you're talking about the sport, clearly the term 'AFL' is not appropriate, simply because it's incorrect. It's not even an appropriate colloquial name of it anymore than soccer is called 'EPL' or American football is called 'NFL'.

And just because some latte drinking knobspank from Sydney with blonde streaks through his hair sitting in the fox sports offices calls the game 'AFL' doesn't mean you have to as well.

It's really not that hard to get the correct names of sports right. the way you talk it's like a fcuking chore to do so.
This isn't a sport vs sport thing, it's simply a matter of what purports to be a credible sporting website getting the name of Australia's most watched game right.
The AFL are the authority on Australian Rules football, and hence they have the right to decide the name of their game.

They have been heavily involved in starting organisations like "AFL Queensland", so clearly they have decided that AFL is now the name for the sport. Take a look at this link: http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=10244 - the title of that page? Play AFL. The page is not talking about playing in the national Australian Rules Football competition, it's talking about playing the sport called AFL.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Paul. wrote:http://www.austadiums.com/sport/crowd_records.php

The 99 NRL GF is 107,999. Originally it was 107,558 but at some point later on it ws amended.
Im aware there are many media outlets that list it at 107,999...I have no idea why..

The attendance of 107,558 was announced during the game and on the TV coverage....Also the ANZ Stadium website list the attendance of 107,558.

107,558 must be the official figure.

Paul.
Bronze

Post by Paul. »

The official crowd is 107,999.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Id say the ANZ Stadium figure is the official.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

One of the interesting things about the Telstra Stadium tour, was that crowds that had been publicly announced, they recounted and got a different figure. Think there was around 130,000 for the Opening Ceremony.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Egan wrote:One of the interesting things about the Telstra Stadium tour, was that crowds that had been publicly announced, they recounted and got a different figure. Think there was around 130,000 for the Opening Ceremony.
The Olympic football final crowd was announced at around 98k at the time only to be amended to 104k at a later date.

Very odd indeed...

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Egan wrote:One of the interesting things about the Telstra Stadium tour, was that crowds that had been publicly announced, they recounted and got a different figure. Think there was around 130,000 for the Opening Ceremony.
Cant see how they do that...
The official opening ceremony figure is just under 100,000....and even adding the athletes and performers on the actual figure,it has to be well short of that...
Remember the opening ceremony had many seats taken out for the stage area and cauldren/waterfall zone...As for the Closing ceremony,the seats were back and there was no stage apart from the centre on the field....Official figure for the closing was just under 115,000...so with all the athletes/performers on the field,125,000-130,000 is more realistic.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

thats because they count the athletes aswell i think

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

The "World Record" for Baseball is officially gone...

115,300 recently packed the LA Colisuem to see the Dodgers play the Red Sox.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Not too sure how we get 115,000 into LA Coliseum,but there you go..

dan027
Bronze

Post by dan027 »

Dan wrote:The "World Record" for Baseball is officially gone...

115,300 recently packed the LA Colisuem to see the Dodgers play the Red Sox.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Not too sure how we get 115,000 into LA Coliseum,but there you go..
how close is the left field wall :shock:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Too bloody close.