White City,Sydney

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.

Post by Guest »

I know I am old fashioned, and that it will never come back, but I still believe the Australian open lost something when it stopped being played on grass. You cannot have the same "feel" for a plastic surface and these old pictures only reinforce that. Was Rafter the last great grass court ever to come out of australia or indeed the world..now all players seem to be baseline sluggers.
Even if there was a desire to bring back the grass ( am I right in believing there is not a hint of desire for this from anyone??) if would probaby be too big and unnecessary expense in the organisers view.
The only realistic way it could happen would be for the grass to be grown in trays similar to cricket pitches and then brought into the arenas and out again after the tournament, so the arena can still be used for other things.. well who knows in 20 years perhaps..
great pictures!

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

I agree with you about the grass!!!,but even the US Open was on grass many years ago too....times change,and we do miss the class of the true grass courters!!

Cam...Can you please put that White City aerial with the record crowd on your website?..Feel free to put the other historical photos of the other venues that Ive posted on your site as well!!..Ill probably end up losing most of them!! :)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Great photo Dan. That's the one I saw at the White City Tennis Museum some years ago. Please add it Cam.