Rod Laver Arena vs Vodafone Arena

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Jeffles
Platinum

Rod Laver Arena vs Vodafone Arena

Post by Jeffles »

Disregarding the tennis of course, I'd like to know if these venues are in a strong competition with each other to attract clients. I'm talking about a similar feud along the lines of the Sydney Entertainment Centre and the Sydney SuperDome.

I figure that the two cities would have a similar line up of events able to be held in indoor arenas. Basketball, concerts etc. Now in Sydney this is the case and one venue appears to be leading the other. So, if there are the same amount of events in Melbourne, I infer that one venue would be struggling or both venues are neck and neck keeping their heads above water.

Being part of the tennis centre, these venues would have the same owner, so I figure the competition isn't as fierce. Even so, could the guys in Melbourne fill me in on the status quo. Disregard the tennis please.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Both venues are owned by the 'Melbourne and Olympic Parks Trust', so there really is no competition. As you know, all NBL was moved across to Vodafone. However most special events are played at Rod Laver such as concerts & The GF Footy Show. However there are still a few concerts at Vodafone and the odd special event such as Boxing - i think they got about 8,000 to the last fight. And also a lot of cycling is held at Vodafone. There is also a conference centre at Melbourne Park, so a majority of them are held at that venue.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Thanks Cam. It seems like it is quite evn down there. And with the tennis, both venues get some great use. Shame the Tigers had to move. Another basketball team playing at Vodafone would've been good.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

It was a great idea to have Vodafone as a convertible velodrome.
If you watch a match there during the Australian Open you might notice between the grandstands some of the cycling track.
Its better than building two single-purpose arenas. There should be more of it.