New NQL Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Timbo
Silver

New NQL Stadium

Post by Timbo »

A bit of buzz over on LU about the Cowboys getting a new ground.

I've found nothing anywhere else, anyone have any idea what it's all about?

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Re: New NQL Stadium

Post by Orel Puppington »

Thats Bullshit and I have no idea about whatever this is

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Probably means a cyclone is on the way.

KeyserSoze
Bronze

Post by KeyserSoze »

The plans for a new stadium are very real. The proposed site is very close to the CBD and transport(rail) compared to where Dairy Farmers is located.

beaves NQ
Bronze

Post by beaves NQ »

I have a pic of it but until more is released, I am not allowed to post it up. It's basically a copy of GC Skilled.

KeyserSoze
Bronze

Post by KeyserSoze »

beaves NQ wrote:I have a pic of it but until more is released, I am not allowed to post it up. It's basically a copy of GC Skilled.
Which is exactly what is needed. Let's just hope Stadiums Queensland don't charge the same prices as Skilled Park.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

How much money does QLD have to spend? Bloody hell.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ They love their stadiums even if they are the only state without a AAA credit rating.

A pity the move to the city came after the Fury died.

How far from the CBD in walking distance is it?

wolves and victory man
Silver

Post by wolves and victory man »

Jeffles wrote:How much money does QLD have to spend? Bloody hell.
Must be from the excessive rent stadiums Queensland charge for the rectangular codes :wink:

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

When was the site acquired? What happens to the rail yard? It seems like a good site for a city stadium.

beaves NQ
Bronze

Post by beaves NQ »

A lot of the railyard activities have moved out of town (Cluden). I guess the government still owns the land and can do with it as they please (within reason). Look it will be awesome if we get this but the main issue I have is that if they want to charge the club $300k a game like they do the Titans then they can jam the new stadium up their ass. I would rather have the team I love exist in a half assed stadium like DFS than have 3-4 years in a superb joint and then have to fold because we are broke from ridiculous rental fees. In the pics I got there is a leagues club right next door that will be great for the club overall, DFS has the Brothers Leagues club next door to it and has made a motza over 15 years off the cowboys, it's time we got some of this cash.

beaves NQ
Bronze

Post by beaves NQ »

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/ar ... _news.html

HE North Queensland Cowboys have launched a bold bid for a new football stadium in the heart of Townsville's CBD.Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini met with Sports Minister Phil Reeves yesterday ahead of last night's sold-out Cowboys v Broncos NRL clash to discuss the proposal.

The 30,000-seat stadium is expected to be built within the next five years on QR (Queensland Rail) National land fronting Flinders St West.

The land has been earmarked for a new sports stadium in Townsville City Council's CBD Masterplan.

The State Government and the council have thrown their weight behind the bid.

Mr Reeves said an official decision was still to be made as negotiations with QRN, which had no plans to stop operations at the site, were still to be held.

"Today I received a proposal from the North Queensland Cowboys for a new stadium and possible location," he said.

"Obviously, as I've only just received the proposal, it would be far too early to make any sort of judgment.

"It's my understanding that QRN, the present owners of the proposed site, have no desire to stop their operations there," Mr Reeves said.

"Since January 2004, the State Government has invested $36.3 million into Dairy Farmers Stadium."

Thuringowa MP Craig Wallace said securing the land would be the biggest hurdle.

However, once that was sorted, the stadium would be a major coup for the North.

"It would mean we were in a better position to attract things like semi-finals of the rugby league," he said.

"I would sincerely hope that one day, if we get this world-class stadium, we would get a State of Origin game played in Townsville and further rugby league Test matches."

Townsville Mayor Les Tyrell backed the bid, which could one day put Townsville in the frame to host a State of Origin match.

"We're always willing to look at those sorts of sporting events," he said.

"We've got a pretty good track record on that with the V8s, and our support for the Cowboys and Crocodiles."

Cr Tyrell said the Townsville CBD Masterplan identified South Townsville as an ideal spot for the new sporting facility.
Cowboys management was reluctant to discuss the plan until it had been developed further.

beaves NQ
Bronze

Post by beaves NQ »

the pic I have of the plan has the stadium running what looks like an E-W orientation, I hope that is just a mistake and it will eventually be built to run N-S because if we ever have to have day semis up here in September, it would be a bitch to play in a stadium that makes one team run straight into the blazing sun.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

So where is that pic then? Running it east west is just plain stupid.... Some one needs to give Townsville council better advice....sounds like a bit of a pipe dream if they don't have access to the land as yet.

beaves NQ
Bronze

Post by beaves NQ »

I will throw it up on here later in the week when I get back from Sydney.