Old Photo's of the MCG

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
The Holy Boot
Bronze

Post by The Holy Boot »

The top right hand corner of the stand still wasn't quite finished in 1967, but you can't quite see it in this photo. I'm guessing that's the same scoreboard on top of the western stand that was at the back of the "concrete" stand?

The Northern stand before the olympic stand gets my vote for the most pleasing on the eye, but the atmosphere down the richmond end in the 2nd tier of the old southern stand. . . nothing can quite beat that!!!

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

stanga wrote:The top right hand corner of the stand still wasn't quite finished in 1967, but you can't quite see it in this photo. ...
Yes - it wasn't completely finished until 1968. This shows up in the GF attendances ...
1967 - 109,396
1968 - 116,828
stanga wrote:... I'm guessing that's the same scoreboard on top of the western stand that was at the back of the "concrete" stand? ...
I'm guessing your'e right
stanga wrote:... The Northern stand before the olympic stand gets my vote for the most pleasing on the eye, but the atmosphere down the richmond end in the 2nd tier of the old southern stand. . . nothing can quite beat that!!!
Yeah - IMO, the 'beauty award' contenders from the MCG stands is between the 1884 Northern Stand (with the 1897 additions at each end) and the 1881 Members Pavilion.

As for the atmosphere at the old Southern Stand - that would've been back in the days of lots of standing room, full strength beer and Richmond victories.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

I still get a chub thinking about the front wall of the second level of the Southern Stand with Esso Tigers hoardings from one end of the stand to the other.

The Holy Boot
Bronze

Post by The Holy Boot »

Here's one from 1990, Richmond v St.Kilda, that my mum took! I've also got some footage my grandpa took that day, including the richmond cheersquad on the southern wing, and a sensational goal to Michael Mitchell from the boundry! He was my favorite player as a 9 year old!

Yep, born in 1981, can't remember the days of richmond victories . . .except we won this day, i think the week after we beat Carlton in David Clokes 300th! What a day.

Anyway, you can see the old yellow richmond cheersquad seats behind the goals, 2nd deck, which were back in use for the famous 1990 GF, when the southern stand, roofless, held centre stage for one last time!

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

stanga wrote:Here's one from 1990, Richmond v St.Kilda, that my mum took! I've also got some footage my grandpa took that day, including the richmond cheersquad on the southern wing, and a sensational goal to Michael Mitchell from the boundry! He was my favorite player as a 9 year old!

Yep, born in 1981, can't remember the days of richmond victories . . .except we won this day, i think the week after we beat Carlton in David Clokes 300th! What a day.

Anyway, you can see the old yellow richmond cheersquad seats behind the goals, 2nd deck, which were back in use for the famous 1990 GF, when the southern stand, roofless, held centre stage for one last time!

Awesome pic.

Makes me wish i brought a camera to all the games I went to around this period.

I still somehwere in Melbourne though have a Football Record Richmond v St Kilda from around 1988 or 89 which has Shane Warne #60 listed for the Saints.

The Holy Boot
Bronze

Post by The Holy Boot »

I still somehwere in Melbourne though have a Football Record Richmond v St Kilda from around 1988 or 89 which has Shane Warne #60 listed for the Saints.
Now that's gold!

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

That should be worth something if you, say, put it on e-bay.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I just had to look it up.

Round 12, June 16, 1990.

Richmond 18.20 (128) defeated St Kilda 16.12 (108) at the MCG before 31,180 fans, includiong stanga and possibly Hot Dogma.

cam
Gold

Re: Old Photo's of the MCG

Post by cam »

Just stumbled across this thread. Amazing old photos of the MCG. Great content - and plenty more to be found throughout this forum. While not much in the way of posts these days, so much quality there from years gone by. Tip: open the photos in a new tab to see them without the watermark.

OWilson87
Bronze

Re: Old Photo's of the MCG

Post by OWilson87 »

Wow! Where do you find such old photos! It is a pleasure to look at such a thing, that now that then he is ideal. I would even say that it was even better before!