WACA ground close to sell out

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Egan
Platinum

WACA ground close to sell out

Post by Egan »

The WACA ground is nearly a sell out for the first three days according to channel 7 news, If this is true the WACA would be ecsatstic to this boyant responce to the Ashes. The ground would be brand spanking new with everything finished and having just finished the final touches putting a green roof around the members seats next to the Lille Marsh stand.

When Shane Warne was asked about the WACA he said he loved it. The WACA has a capacity of 28,000 seats an increase of about 1,000.

If a super 12 side was to be formed in Perth my guess is the WACA ground as they would put a very attractive offer to them to get them to use it as the base of the team.

tailz
Bronze

Post by tailz »

you got any pics?
from the of the redevelopment, it looked as if they started from scratch. should be good though

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

There is a great arial photo of the WACA during redevelopment - click here: http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/rede ... t/waca.php This shows the ground totally stripped.

Will they be having a temporary stand set-up on that concrete platform for the test match, or for the 1 dayers? I remember they used to have a temporary stand for all the footy matches - is this the stand which is now used at Perth Oval behind the goals?

I think the Perth Glory should play their big h/a games at the WACA, such as the match when they play Olympic (probably 1st v 2nd), many people don't like going to Perth Oval at the moment due to its poor facilities.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The Glory will never go to the WACA for the simple reason it wouldnt fill the ground up. People over east think that Glory has a huge market over here, but that is not the case you would probably get the same amount going to the WACa as to Perth Oval but as Perth Oval is smaller it creates a great atmosphere. That temporary stand is not the one they used at the football as i have sat in both of the stands and i can say the one at the football was twice as big. The facilities at Perth Oval arent that bad. The facilities are not the reason that people arent going to the soccer its due to the fact their is no media coverage that is the reason here in Perththat the crowds have dropped. And the Grand Final loss.

The ground is almiost unrecognisable from a last year and they have worked so well on completing the ground, the roofs are almost identical to the roof at Adelaide oval except their green.

Should be a good test.

joel

Post by joel »

I bet you that if Perth Glory played the Olympic Sharks in round 23 @ the WACA, they would get over 20,000 (it's more that likely that it will still be 1st v 2nd by rd 23). Face the facts - the facilities at Perth Oval are crap. I've been there many times, like yourself. I cannot wait until next season following the redevelopment (and hopefully a re-vamped league!!).

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Yes the facilities arent the best, but i dont think thats why people arent going to the soccer.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I am going to the WACA on Friday for the Ashes so i will be able to comment on the ground after Friday but im extrodinarily excited. Even though people think that the MCG has better lighting then the WACA its an actual fact that the WACAS lights are better then the MCGs and is amongst the best in the country. They were so good that the Eagles moved to the smaller capcity stadium to have night games at home.

Egan
Platinum

The first day officialy a sell out FINALLY

Post by Egan »

Third Test to break records
November 27, 2002

AUSTRALIA may have strolled through the first two Tests of the Ashes series, but demand for tickets remains higher than ever with the WACA Ground set to break attendance records during the third Test.

The Perth stadium has undergone a $12 million facelift and officials this evening confirmed Friday's first day to be a complete sell-out of 21,500.

Perth's biggest previous first day crowd was 16,849 recorded on December 1, 2000 when Australia played the West Indies.

Western Australia Cricket Association president Brian Rakich said: "The WACA is absolutely delighted with the manner in which the public has embraced this Test and the occasion of launching our redeveloped ground."

Perth's highest aggregate Test attendance is 84,142 for the game against England in December 1970.

For the WACA to break that record, this match could have to last into its fifth day - something England has not managed thus far.

AAP

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

perthsmike

Post by perthsmike »

the waca will be a total buzz over the next few days! it is great both for the waca and cricket in perth. GO AUSSIES!! :D

mike

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Well it looked good yesterday. I think the shorter boundaries brought about by the construction of the hills are fantastic for cricket and for fans (as well as if they play a rectangle-field football game). Great job WACA.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well I went to the groiund yesterday and the ground looked good it doesnt look like a stadium now just like a cricket ground like Adelaide Oval and such. The grass banks look bigger on tv then what they actualy are the are very small and dont fit many people on them. Like they said they would have liked to do more but had only 12 million dollars due to the fact that they have to repay that 12 million dollars. The members are furious with the WACA for the huge cues and lack of seats there is 10,000 WACA members but only 8,000 seats are allocated to the members. They plan to redevelop later will i percieve they do as they said Stage 1 of the WACA Redevelopment.

Post by Guest »

i read a few days ago they need $500,000 more to totally finish of this stage. That would be used for upgrading upper teir seats, upgrading entries and exits and few more minor details. I think that in a couple of years (4 or 5) it will be developed again.

mike

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

You're right Egan, it does look like a cricket ground as opposed to s stadium. I think that is a good thing. It has charm and character, which is the good thing about cricket grounds. It reminds me of some of the English cricket grounds with singe tiers of seating and the odd members/upper tiers.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.