Another Upgrade for Aurora Stadium.

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Simmo79
Platinum

Re: Another Upgrade for Aurora Stadium.

Post by Simmo79 »

registration to be closed in 5, 4, 3...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Launceston City Council is to vote on another upgrade to Aurora Stadium including a drop in pitch.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/118770 ... ora/?cs=94

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

"Can't afford to slip behind Hobart"

f**k me......

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It's like the famous fable of the Tortise and the Tortise.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

With the demise of Gunns the grandstand at Aurora Stadium in now the RACT stand. RACT have doubled their sponsorship of the venue. They already had naming rights for the Railway Workers Hill under the scoreboard.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/122974 ... ame/?cs=95

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Well I learnt something today I didn't even know Tassie had trains!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

the crow wrote:Well I learnt something today I didn't even know Tassie had trains!
Freight mostly. They have a logistics company named ANL. Unfortunately for this company they sponsored the AFL at York Park with signs reading "Try ANL." Apparently nobody in their marketing department figured out the lolz as fast as the viewers on television.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Oh, they knew. And were really pleased with themselves.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

the crow wrote:Well I learnt something today I didn't even know Tassie had trains!
The stadium is right next to what used to be the main workshops for the Tasmanian Main Line Railways. There is a fantastic little book written about the stuff ups made in the initial development of the railway system entitled (from memory) TMLR - Too Many Loose Rails. They ordered the rails from India and the locomotives from Britain. They didn't realise the rails were rejects and the wrong weight for the locomotives they had ordered. For some reason they had quite a few trains depart the tracks.

The major structures of the workshops have been re used with the projects winning RAIA awards. The School of Architecture and Design is in the 1950's Diesel Workshops and the QVMAG and School of Contemporary Arts are in the 1920's Stone Building, an early reinforced concrete building complete with reinforced concrete trusses that support the overhead crane which is still in place. Both buildings are worth a visit for anyone that is down this way.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Aurora Stadium is now University of Tasmania Stadium. UTAS new northern campus will be built right beside the stadium.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

The first of a 3 stage upgrade to UTAS Stadium was announced by the Premier today. The temporary stand on the Eastern side of the ground will be replaced from the scoreboard to the southern stand. This will increase capacity by 1000 and will include improvements to facilities. The estimated cost is $65m.

The second stage will be the replacement of the hill and the Northern temporary stand and is subject to further funding.

The third stage will be the replacement of the Southern temporary stand and the inclusion of a 3 court basketball stadium that morphs to a 5000 seat show court.