Redfern Oval, the traditional home of the South Sydney Rabbitohs Rugby League Club, underwent a complete overhaul in 1999 to transform it into a facility for the wider Redfern community. The venue which had previously hosted Rabbitohs home games was bulldozed and reborn in a $19.5 million redevelopment. Today, it features a grandstand with tiered-seating for 2,500 spectators, player facilities and a community meeting room, while further facilities for the Rabbitohs are situated in the basement level. It remains the main training headquarters of the foundation NRL club and at least one pre-season game per year has been played at Redfern since the redevelopment. The venue can comfortably host crowds of around 5,000.
Prior to the redevelopment, Redfern Oval had a capacity of around 20,000. The South Sydney Rabbitohs played at the venue between 1948 and 1987. Both before and after this time, the club played at the nearby Moore Park. Since 2006, they call Stadium Australia in Sydney’s west their home ground. It contained a main grandstand on the wing and extended red and green seating on either side with a hill surround the majority of the playing arena.
How Redfern Oval looked prior to the redevelopment: