Kogarah

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Dave
Bronze

Kogarah

Post by Dave »

Ok, I've asked about WIN, now does anyone know any thing about the final plans for Kogarah? Realistically the Dragons need something that holds around 20-25 thousand in Sydney

DH
Silver

Post by DH »

yeah a 25,000 capacity Oki Jubilee would be ideal hey...

I don't know too much as to what is happing but I hope this helps... there are even some dodgy construction pics toward the bottom

http://www.r2k.info/index2.html

It details the works for the next stage (2,200 seats + amenity and ground works)

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

In 5-10 years I see the NRL pushing the Dragons to become the 'Illawarra Dragons' anyway so I dont think Jubilee will see any major changes.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Timbo's views seem to be popular amongst everyone except St. George Illawarra fans. There simply is no movement for the Dragons to move to the Illawarra. None. We are a two-town team and frankly that is working out pretty well. Indeed, it is likely that Kogarah will get more games in the future, not less.

During the election campaign there was 8 million promised for Kogarah. That will be spent on lights, replacing other seating (definitely benches, maybe some grass) with actual seats and other amenity stuff including some pretty decent training facilities. There might be a minor increase in capacity, but I'd be suprised.

The works will be done over the next three years. The first lot (lights, seating) will be done in time for the first Kogarah home game in Round 10 vs. Penrith in mid May.

I don't think the actual plans to spend the money have been finalised and development approval hasn't been sought with council yet.

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

Wasn't the main complaint from local residents of OKI the whole issue of the lights? surely the sydney games can be daytime only if this is a major concern?

There is no reason why the dragons can't be a viable co-location team in the future... in fact, the fewer games at each venue should theoretically increase the crowds at either end...

just a question... [from someone who watched a state of origin there one year] is steelers still operating?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Ahh residents impacting on sports stadiums...you think theyd be glad they only had a stonesthrow walk to a great stadium...I know I would be :wink:

I wonder if that block opposite MES has sold yet?

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

I just think that the biggest problem facing the NRL is too many teams in Sydney and eventually they'll force the Dragons out.

DH
Silver

Post by DH »

It true about the amount of teams in Sydney... especially south of the harbour... as mentioned in the SMH today, it may just be that the Sharks or Souths may sneek up to Gosford as it maybe a great business opportunity -

http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/Centr ... 28899.html

Personally, I wouldn't like to see the Big Red V leave Sydney, it is too great a club.

Illawarrior
Bronze

Post by Illawarrior »

HMS Cheesemaker wrote:Timbo's views seem to be popular amongst everyone except St. George Illawarra fans. There simply is no movement for the Dragons to move to the Illawarra. None. We are a two-town team and frankly that is working out pretty well. Indeed, it is likely that Kogarah will get more games in the future, not less.
In the short term, maybe it will go back to 6-6.

In the long term... don't hold your breath. Illawarra St.George Dragons or Illawarra Dragons rolls off the tongue much better. Next season may see all sorts of 'things' happening. Watch this space.

Illawarrior
Bronze

Post by Illawarrior »

redback_original wrote:Wasn't the main complaint from local residents of OKI the whole issue of the lights? surely the sydney games can be daytime only if this is a major concern?

There is no reason why the dragons can't be a viable co-location team in the future... in fact, the fewer games at each venue should theoretically increase the crowds at either end...

just a question... [from someone who watched a state of origin there one year] is steelers still operating?
Yes Steelers is certainly still operating. The Steelers still exist, just not at the elite level.

St.George people would have you believe that they own the club, which couldn't be further from the truth. The Steelers wanted to expand to help it become richer and eventually match St.George's contribution to the Dragons. St.George Leagues granted them a loan of 8mil bucks, a wise investment.

Unfortunately, many pro-St.George people seem to think that it now entitles them to ownership and that they own the place. It would of worked out better if they raised funding from somewhere else to avoid this confusion (well it actually only confuses some people...).

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Illawarrior wrote:In the short term, maybe it will go back to 6-6.

In the long term... don't hold your breath. Illawarra St.George Dragons or Illawarra Dragons rolls off the tongue much better. Next season may see all sorts of 'things' happening. Watch this space.
Nah... look, I'm an Illawarra firendly St. George fan and big supporter of the merger. But there is simply too much money in the St. George name. Plus, why limit yourself to one market when you could easily have two? In any case, they are spinning bigger profits out of Kogarah then they are out of WIN.

We are in no mode to move.

If teams are going to move out of Sydney, it won't be the Saints. As much as it might seem we have the strongest oppurtunity, we arguably have the weakest demand to do so out of the possible contenders.

Bunnies, Sharks and Wests are the most likely. I'd say the Bulldogs would be a more likely team to relocate then St. George.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

It really wouldn't be a relocation though, would it?

If the NRL really wants the Saints to move to Illawarra, they can always declare Jubilee unfit for the NRL again.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Get this through your heads people.

St. George Illawarra is NOT going to move from Sydney. Everyone is very happy at Kogarah. A lot of money is being spent there. If the NRL declared it unfit, we'd find another Sydney home.

St. George is the most recognisable name in the NRL. By far.
St. George is the most supported team after Brisbane in terms of survey results.
St. George is one of the richest Leagues Clubs in Sydney.
St. George is one of the most historic clubs in Rugby League.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Then why did they merge?

I'm not trying to be a tool - I identifiy myself as a St George fan. But serioulsy, if it's so popular and financially solid, why merge?

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Numerous reasons. A lot of them financial.

But we have to look at the situation today. The St. George Illawarra Dragons as they stand are in fabulous position.