A-LEAGUE launch: "New Football"

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
dibo
Gold

Re: A-LEAGUE launch: "New Football"

Post by dibo »

It'd be an interesting thing for football to pop up on 7Mate. They've done pretty well with the AFL on 7Mate; my partner's dad gets to see a lot more Port games than he used to and they could perhaps fit it in around the tennis, and get a really competitive alternative to international cricket on 9 and the hit-and-giggle on 10.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Network 7 bought the NSL rights specifically to create a media blackout of the sport, all in order to improve their negotiating position with the AFL for its media rights.

No forgiveness, no exceptions, f**k that network forever.

That, and their presentation of the All-Stars games. f**k me, 2 hours of cross promotion with Paul Wade stamped on it to make it look like football.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

dibo wrote:
yob wrote:I came across the article because I was interested to learn what the media deal with Sky was worth. I also assumed it was worth something.

$180,000, under duress. f**k off. 15,000 viewers. f**k off. 3,000 members. f**k off.

I really went in to this trying to find reasons to keep them. Not only have I found the opposite, but if replaced with a better contributer on our soil, that frees up dosh for clubs like the Mariners. At least their something is something.
Add to this (for context) that FFA wants to reduce visa players to increase spots for Aussies. Move Wellington to Canberra (sorry Yob, but I reckon they are just about turn-key ready to go) and you create a whole bunch of extra spots for Aussie players, and we get a big step closer to having every A-League club having a W-League and NYL team as well (and vice versa!).
Canberra is not turn key ready. The culture here is one of basic entitlement.

We have a large local competition, but not a good one. In the top divisions we have national league players beating up on us. As in, W-League players romping the mens divisions. My team 'only' has a w-league subbie, and she's so fricking fast on right wing that it makes our team look like a corkscrew.

We produce a good player now and again, and a couple of permanent scouts from Eng/Scotland live here. If you're good you leave.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

The point is making it so that if you're good, you go there. Build it and they will come. Canberra's got at least as much basic football reason to have a licence as Gosford, and much more business/commercial reason.

If you announced tomorrow that in the 2016/17 season Canberra United will be competing in the A-League and NYL out of Bruce Stadium, you're laughing.

Plenty of time to start tapping the networks, local Aussie players start driving their bargains harder at their clubs knowing that there's another club in the mix, you'll get a whole bunch of players (and clubs) banking on players making moves to the new club for that season.

Create the expectation and build the hype, start with a bang and make sure it runs pedal-to-the-metal from the start.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I understand your sentiment. I mean, it's sport, we gotta be excited about something. And I wasn't suggesting we wouldn't be able to field a competitive team, because ultimately we all fish in the same pond. But rather to say that if there is any momentum behind getting a team it isn't firing on all cylinders.

Just a few personal thoughts from living here:

Capital Football is not a strong federation. If it is cobbling together an aleague bid then frankly that'd explain why we can't get them to provide us with f***ing refs and corner flags at half our games.

Canberra's local, loyal, parochial community is small - and doesn't know it. As an example, they think Canberra is bigger in population than Adelaide, or equal. Only 1 million off. They are middle class, and they are entitled. They don't view the world in terms of viability, but in terms of what the budget allows. That means pay up front. If there is an aleague bid it is with someone else's money.

The most popular a-league brand penetration in Canberra is Wanderers. Buy a game, market satisfied.

Canberra doesn't have real local television media besides ABC. This was a real adjustment for me in moving here. There's no centralisation on Canberra, even for news bulletins - it's everything from Gundagai, Goulburn, Cooma, to the Gong. You don't have the parochial weather man stirring up the Canberra Farkn in us, like a place in Adelaide.

People in Canberra just don't give a sh*t. If they want something they leave. Ghost town on public holidays. The whole town drives to Batemans Bay for water. The whole town goes to "real home" for holidays.

Canberra is primarily a rugby code town. Logically it shouldn't. But even football is small game fishing here, and aussie rules piss in a bucket.

I can not, have not, will not ever be able to name an ACT chief minister.

And finally, why would you go Canberra when it's all Queanbeyan fukn.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Can Melbourne derby give 50k a shake this weekend?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Nope - they're bringing the seats in so capacity drops to about 47k.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Boo!

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Look; you can have a monster crowd (half of whom can see f**k all) or you can have a slightly less monster crowd (but still pretty f***ing big) where people can actually see the game they've paid to see *and* still enjoy what will likely be the biggest regular season crowd this year.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

They're Victorians, f**k them. I want it to look good on my TV!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Oh dear. David Villa already wants out :lol:

skippy
Bronze

Post by skippy »

dibo wrote:Nope - they're bringing the seats...
Hooray. After paying a fortune for centreline level 1 seats at a Wallabies match in oval mode I swore I'd never return. If Etihad are bringing the sides and ends in then I will definitely give it another go.

Having said that, the Victory vs. Brisbane fixture would be much better at AAMI.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

dibo wrote:Look; you can have a monster crowd (half of whom can see f**k all) or you can have a slightly less monster crowd (but still pretty f***ing big) where people can actually see the game they've paid to see *and* still enjoy what will likely be the biggest regular season crowd this year.
I believe if it's a sell out even in rectangle mode it might still be the largest non finals crowd at that stadium this year(including AFL) confirm?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Not a-league, but league in development news - MLS side Chivas has gone under after 10 years. Not unexpected in American media. But as an outsider looking in it's interesting - with exception of last 2 years, they averaged between 14 and 19k a game. They ground shared with LA Galaxy, but strategically aimed at the Hispanic population of California - 38% of the population. A huge market. But perhaps crucially, they were a baby club for C.D. Guadalajara in Mexico which may have cut the product a few too many times to survive in the market.

A fair few similarities to the Melbourne City experiment from my viewpoint.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

With Vincent Tan supposed to be involved in the replacement club isn't it similar to Melbourne City still.
Troubled Major League Soccer club Chivas USA will cease operations, effective immediately, and will be replaced by a club that will begin play in the league in 2017, MLS announced on Monday.

The new ownership group -- which, according to SI.com, includes venture capitalist Henry Nguyen, Mandalay Entertainment Chairman and CEO Peter Guber, former NBA executive and current ESPN analyst Tom Penn, and current Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan -- will be officially introduced on Thursday. That announcement will also shed light on the group's plans to build a soccer stadium in the Los Angeles area.
http://www.espnfc.com/chivas-usa/story/ ... rn-in-2017