Berri Oval SA

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
U REDS
Silver

Berri Oval SA

Post by U REDS »

Went to the Riverland town of Berri a couple of months ago and decided to pay a quick visit to the Berri Memorial Oval, home of the Berri Demons in the Riverland Football League. I was there when West Adelaide took their home match against Central District there in Round 9 of 2007. The Crows played the Hawks in a pre-season NAB challenge match there too, I forget when though.

It's close to the riverfront area, nestled in the central business precinct behind the Berri Resort Hotel. Quite handy indeed for post-match. Here's a few piccies.

This is the western entrance gate named Gate of Honour for WW1 vets, behind that is the grandstand and an RSL memorial wall for the WW2 vets from Berri & surrounds.

Close up of the grandstand wall with the honour roll of WW2.

Eastern wing side, with Berri Demons clubrooms on left and the RFL HQ on the right.

The single grandstand, I should have got a better look at the name up top.

The northern goals.

Southern goal and scoreboard.

Egan
Platinum

Re: Berri Oval SA

Post by Egan »

Great photos mate, its somewhat of a South Australian Riverland cultural thing. Barmera sports ground also has memorial gates at its football ground. Took some photos of that when I was there.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

This was a 1992 Cricket World Cup venue. Sri Lanka v West Indies. The Lankans were lucky that tournament. As well as playing in Berri, they got a gig at Pukekura Park in New Plymouth, Ray Mitchell Oval in Mackay and Eastern Oval in Ballarat.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Jeffles wrote:This was a 1992 Cricket World Cup venue. Sri Lanka v West Indies. The Lankans were lucky that tournament. As well as playing in Berri, they got a gig at Pukekura Park in New Plymouth, Ray Mitchell Oval in Mackay and Eastern Oval in Ballarat.
Gold!

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

That piece of sh*t ground hosted a cricket world cup game?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Even as a 9 year old it was weird that those places got games but not larger centres like Wollongong, Newcastle, Geelong etc.

They won't be making that mistake in 2015.