Beginning of the end for suburban NRL stadiums?

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Boba Fett
Silver

Re: Beginning of the end for suburban NRL stadiums?

Post by Boba Fett »

Egan wrote:If Sydney NRL clubs want to stay regional they have to get smarter in how they bid and lobby.
But totally agree with this comment.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

If the state can deliver a regional stadium commitment to a region of 500,000 in Newcastle, or 300,000 in the Illawarra, but not 500,000 in Sydney, then the underlying instrument is broken. I like cities, but I'm glad I don't make the compromise of living in one.

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

I see a problem coming for the Central Coast Bears bid (formerly North Sydney Bears) for getting one game a year at North Sydney Oval if Libs are re-elected and this policy stays.

adamj1300
Bronze

Post by adamj1300 »

Egan wrote:How financial are the councils around Liechardt, Manly, Kogarah, Penrith etc etc?

Economic stimulus on game days, any studies been initiated?

If fans and clubs of the NRL want to stay in their grounds they have to look at a new plea to government at a different level - local councils. I see a role for some councils to be the primary funder of development and top level stadium redevelopment. You have to get councillors and business owners seeing the value of hosting NRL games. It seems it's been accepted that state government will spend all the money and I expect some councils have large rates revenue and an ability to loan money to get upgrades to a certain level.

If Sydney NRL clubs want to stay regional they have to get smarter in how they bid and lobby.
no how about use some of their profits from their league clubs to pay for something?
the council owns the land. builds an oval there, the NRL club puts a league there & keeps all of the money.
while the tax payer still has to pay for appearance fees for the clubs and stadium costs, for a grounds that only gets used a hand full of times a year.

why not NRL invest something back?
why the hell does the tax payer has to keep funding the NRL & all of its clubs

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

adamj1300 wrote:
Egan wrote:How financial are the councils around Liechardt, Manly, Kogarah, Penrith etc etc?

Economic stimulus on game days, any studies been initiated?

If fans and clubs of the NRL want to stay in their grounds they have to look at a new plea to government at a different level - local councils. I see a role for some councils to be the primary funder of development and top level stadium redevelopment. You have to get councillors and business owners seeing the value of hosting NRL games. It seems it's been accepted that state government will spend all the money and I expect some councils have large rates revenue and an ability to loan money to get upgrades to a certain level.

If Sydney NRL clubs want to stay regional they have to get smarter in how they bid and lobby.
no how about use some of their profits from their league clubs to pay for something?
the council owns the land. builds an oval there, the NRL club puts a league there & keeps all of the money.
while the tax payer still has to pay for appearance fees for the clubs and stadium costs, for a grounds that only gets used a hand full of times a year.

why not NRL invest something back?
why the hell does the tax payer has to keep funding the NRL & all of its clubs
Exactly.

The professional sporting clubs in Australia are run in a fashion that all available cashflow goes to the player salaries, and the tax payer foots the bill for the infrastructure. It's fundamentally wrong.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I couldn't tell you what those clubs do with their pokies money. Panthers appears just to buy other clubs around Sydney, Blue Mountains and call them Panthers too.

adamj1300
Bronze

Post by adamj1300 »

Simmo79 wrote:I couldn't tell you what those clubs do with their pokies money. Panthers appears just to buy other clubs around Sydney, Blue Mountains and call them Panthers too.
thats pretty much it, by other league clubs.

every other state in Australia has funding models, that every large sum of money they spend has to make money in the long term.
NSW is playing catch with the rest or Australia
every NRL club has had millions spent on their home venue's for decades and they are only used a few times every year, the tax payer never seeing s return for their dollar.
allianz stadium was built in 1990 odd?
and in 1999 ish
they are used a few times every couple of weeks and aparently not good enough

in melbourne Etihad is was built with private funding, with the AFL paying off the venue & MCG the money coming from the MCC

here is a tip NRL make your game profitable
prove that you are more than that amateur league
you have had the ultimate helping hand, packer taking you from the abc for channel 9, the Murdoch superleague wars for foxtel
the clubs living off poke money for survival
had millions in tax payer hand outs for decades
what more else do you want
no other code or competition has any where near that help
start paying your own way

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:I couldn't tell you what those clubs do with their pokies money. Panthers appears just to buy other clubs around Sydney, Blue Mountains and call them Panthers too.
Raiders leagues discloses what organisations they fund. They basically fund every community club in Queanbeyan, junior grades, even a rugby union junior grade. Every single sport you can think of - except (soccer) football.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

adamj1300 wrote: no how about use some of their profits from their league clubs to pay for something?
NRL leagues clubs are usually completely separate entities whose members are more concerned about getting a $10 parma and pint than rugby league. Why would those members want to see their money put into a stadium?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

I'm wondering how much of the $1.1b poker machine tax raised in NSW each year should go into sport rather than general revenue.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

gyfox wrote:I'm wondering how much of the $1.1b poker machine tax raised in NSW each year should go into sport rather than general revenue.
It's how Beattie redeveloped GABBA, Suncorp, Ballymore and Queensland Athletics Stadium...

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Rob wrote:
adamj1300 wrote: no how about use some of their profits from their league clubs to pay for something?
NRL leagues clubs are usually completely separate entities whose members are more concerned about getting a $10 parma and pint than rugby league. Why would those members want to see their money put into a stadium?
You're correct, but you could make the same argument about taxpayers. For instance, why would I want to see my tax dollars be spent building a 40k seat stadium in Penrith that I'll never go to?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Boba Fett wrote:
Rob wrote:
You're correct, but you could make the same argument about taxpayers. For instance, why would I want to see my tax dollars be spent building a 40k seat stadium in Penrith that I'll never go to?
Or for a sport I don't support.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Boba Fett wrote: You're correct, but you could make the same argument about taxpayers. For instance, why would I want to see my tax dollars be spent building a 40k seat stadium in Penrith that I'll never go to?
It is the same argument. You then go to an election and decide if the people that spent your money deserve your vote. It's the same principle for a member owned club, just on a smaller scale.

But the great majority of government spending won't directly benefit you. That road they just built between Albury and Wagga for instance. A new police station in Dubbo. Social workers in Nimbin. You get the idea.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:It is the same argument. You then go to an election and decide if the people that spent your money deserve your vote.
I go to an election to elect a law maker.

I decide how my money is spent by spending it.