AFL 2012

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
IanRitchie
Platinum

Re: AFL 2012

Post by IanRitchie »

that's racist.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Who is Hamish McLachlan and why is BigFooty ripping the piss?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthrea ... 761&page=8

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

^^ His brother is Gillon McLachlan, COO of the AFL.

Google tells me he has hosting gigs on Ch 7. BF tells me he's part of a company that was controversially awarded rights to run the AFL Hall of Fame and he's not the best company director going around.

The LOL about that thread is it appears he's a serial editor of his own wikipedia page and was outed by his use of an identical pseudonym on Big Footy.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

OMG that thread is incredibly hilarious. Read it, everyone.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I've read another 60 pages and it's not bad. It got written up in Crikey yesterday (I missed it until BF reproduced it):
Users of popular football forum Big Footy uncovered what they considered to be an hilarious example of a celebrity micro-managing their wiki profile, suggesting that Channel Seven personality and host of AFL show Game Day Hamish McLachlan appeared to be the creator and editor of his own Wikipedia entry. But in an email to Crikey, McLachlan has denied these allegations, saying that it was a friend -- not him --who made the changes.
This is how the wiki storm has played out since yesterday.
Bigfooty user "questionable" noticed that McLachlan's Wikipedia page had been created and solely edited by a Wikipedia user named "Rompingwins".
"questionable" then came to the conclusion that a YouTube user with the same handle "rompingwins" was, in fact, Hamish McLachlan:

"rompingwins" -- the YouTube user -- also has a video where it appears the Channel Seven commentary team are having farewell drinks.
McLachlan told Crikey that he is "not that inclined to get involved other than to say I know 'Rompingwins', as they are a good friend to me and the family."
"They manage my YouTube uploads too, as I can't do them and I need to for work.
"The name 'Rompingwins' is named after a horse they backed that I owned with mates. "
On Big Footy "questionable" summarised the edits by "Rompingwins" to McLachlan's Wikipedia page as:
9 December 2010:
• creates article. poorly formatted. hagiographical.
25 July 2011:
• re-words a few sentences to make his prose really stand out.
• removes implication that his brother's connections influenced AFL reporting at fairfax.
• adds more minute details about his career
• notes that triple M's spring racing coverage is "award winning"
• inserts the word "currently" into the sentence about him and his wife having no children (getting clucky, ham?)
25 July 2011 (an hour later):
• makes his title at entertainment sports properties seems more impressive
• inserts this laughable paragraph: "Through Elite Sports Properties, McLachlan was often asked by company director and part owner Craig Kelly to host the companies sporting events that they managed, whether they be golf tournaments, lunches or testimonial dinners. This role suited Hamish and through Kelly insisting he continued to host events, a new career developed. By design or accident, Kelly's role would change from being Hamish's immediate boss to his manager."
• and this one: "After being seen doing work in Melbourne across horse disciplines in which he was comfortable given his families farming background, Hamish was asked to call equine sports in England and did so for 3 English summers. It was here he spent many hours behind the microphone to became a polished host and caller."
26 July 2011 (forgot to log into his account for this one):
• more pointless details about his childhood
• inserts this sentence "He felt if he couldn't compete at the highest level, he would like to work and be inspired by those who could."
28 September 2011:
• removes all tags saying that the article is unreferenced and unverified
27 October 2011:
• adds a link to his personal website http://tengoals.com.au
• struggles really hard to get the formatting for the link to work. requires a dozen attempts
29 February 2012:
• changes his former ambition to play professional tennis to professional "sport"
• adds some info about charity work
• more rewording
The Wikipedia page was locked last night.
McLachlan manages his own website and twitter account.
questionable wins the internet

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

That thread is unforgettable.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

As is Robbie Gray's knee injury from the last round. In the scarring way.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Legs aren't supposed to bend that way.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

That was nasty.....

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Went to the Gabba on Saturday Night.

These new teams have created some absolutely awful football for what you pay to go and watch. $37 and the standard was atrocious.

Clangers a plenty...won't be heading back to a game in a hurry.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I hate Melbourne when it's cold & wet :(
I love Melbourne when footy is on. :lol:
Fantastic game today.
Great pic on the cover of the Record.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Ben Cousins is expected to make a comeback for Port Lincoln

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PORT Lincoln Football League in South Australia is investigating claims a coach lured junior grade footballers to play for his team by offering them marijuana.

The league's football operations manager, Robyn Rowsell, confirmed the allegations had been raised about three weeks ago.

The league boss says she reported the claims to police on Friday.

But Port Lincoln police yesterday said they were not aware of the allegations and would investigate.

The South Australian National Football League also has not been advised of the claims despite junior football leaders in Port Lincoln knowing of the claims for at least two weeks. A young indigenous player in the league is understood to have spoken of the deal to be supplied marijuana in return for playing for a side in the under-17 competition.

The coach at the centre of the allegations could not be contacted last night.

At least three key football leaders in the district say they have knowledge of the allegations and some evidence to support the claims, which include:

A NUMBER of indigenous youths playing in the association's under-17s competition being provided marijuana by a coach as an incentive to play in his team.

PLAYERS as young as nine using marijuana.

A YOUNGSTER developing an addiction after being lured from one club to another by the incentive.

A text message intercepted by club officials is understood to add weight to the claims.

http://www.news.com.au/national/footbal ... 6342232851

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

being provided marijuana by a coach as an incentive to play in his team

not exactly a PED, Coach.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

The Police Inspector in Port Lincoln has discredited that report 100%. More up to date news reports next time, please!

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Love Richmond's special jumper for the Dreamtime match on Saty night :D

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Gr8 game in Adelaide tonight. Maybe a preview of GF? Loved the silence from the Crows supporters at the end :wink: