Telstra Stadium to become ANZ Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Re: Telstra Stadium to become ANZ Stadium

Post by Orel Puppington »

yob wrote:Maybe they can play AFL at the SCG
Duh

skippy
Bronze

Post by skippy »

[/quote]
The point (I think) was that rectangular sports shouldn't be played within 5 days before an oval sport fixture - e.g. no Friday night NRL games followed by Sunday AFL games.

When the stands are extended for the rectangular sports and rolled over the pitch, it buggers the turf underneath, and he's staying that they should ahve 5 days recovery time. You can have the oval sports before the rectangular, but not vice versa.[/quote]

Ground surface tonight much improved, a few weeks without rolling the seats in makes all the difference. Disappointing crowd for a prelim final though, considering perfect weather and Swans in peak form. The official attendence of 48k seemed a tad generous - I thought it was a just under half full at the ground.

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

24k in tonight for the T20, first time I've seen the 6th deck open for an event with fewer than 35k there.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Should have held the game next door at Spotless. Would have been a great atmosphere there.

skippy
Bronze

Post by skippy »

The pitch orientation is a joke for cricket, with the straight boundaries too short and the square boundaries too far. Presumably the pitch is orientated 90 degrees to the regulation alignment to have more fans behind the bowler? Whatever the reason, let's keep the cricket at SCG or Spotless.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

I'd never even looked for this but a friend on the WSW forum found it this morning.

A summary of the Stadium Australia contracts is accessed via this link:-

http://www.treasury.nsw.gov.au/__data/a ... e_2002.pdf

Page 19 gives details of the restrictions applying to other stadiums within 50km of Stadium Australia.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The NSW government is an expert at creating legislative instruments that pump up an individual's asset values, and fucks everyone else over.

That said, 35k is still plenty for Parra.

St James
Bronze

Post by St James »

yob wrote:The NSW government is an expert at creating legislative instruments that pump up an individual's asset values, and fucks everyone else over.

That said, 35k is still plenty for Parra.
Indeed it is. And that's all the Wanderers want. It is surely the perfect capacity for the Wanderers atm.
Parramatta Eels on the other hand have been very quiet on the subject.

The team I've followed for 2 and a half years is making far more noise on this subject than the other team I have followed for over 40 years.
Given that the current known support of the Eels is far greater than the current known potential support of the Wanderers, the approach from the Eels has been extremely underwhelming.
Very disappointing considering they have always believed they have a mortgage on the place.....erecting statues, colouring dressing rooms blue and gold, naming stands and terraces and bars after former players etc.......

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

gyfox wrote:I'd never even looked for this but a friend on the WSW forum found it this morning.

A summary of the Stadium Australia contracts is accessed via this link:-

http://www.treasury.nsw.gov.au/__data/a ... e_2002.pdf

Page 19 gives details of the restrictions applying to other stadiums within 50km of Stadium Australia.
Interesting that they state that the renegotiation can be triggered if the NSW govt :

Provides a closed or closeable roof for the Sydney Football
Stadium
or Parramatta Stadium
Increases the roof area of the Sydney Football Stadium to protect
an additional 5% or more of its seats from the weather.

Obviously they're aware of the way inclement weather affects crowds..which makes it doubly odd that only now they're considering a roof for their stadium.