NEW: Subiaco Masterplan

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
perthsmike
Bronze

NEW: Subiaco Masterplan

Post by perthsmike »

Subi name sale to fund stand
http://www.thewest.com.au/20040911/news ... 29310.html

The WA Football Commission will consider offering the naming and management rights for Subiaco Oval to private property developers to help underpin a major redevelopment proposal for the premier sporting venue.

The offers are included in an information memorandum which the WAFC has sent to at least four Perth property developers who have been invited to come up with "innovative and commercially viable ideas" for a multi-million-dollar redevelopment at the western end of Subiaco Oval and the old three-tier stand.

According to the WAFC documents, that redevelopment could include a supporters club for the West Coast Eagles, a new office building for the WAFC dubbed Football House, a new AFL merchandise shop, restaurants and "other food and beverage outlets".

Those new buildings are earmarked for the western portion of Subiaco Oval bound by Haydn Bunton Drive and Subiaco Road - a 7900sq m leasehold area which includes the Subiaco Football Club building and the adjoining 170-bay carpark.

The documents also detail a broader master plan by the WAFC to not only redevelop the old western three-tier stand, but to also add another tier to the current two-tier stand "such that the proposed three-tier stand extends both northward and southward and wraps around the entire western end of the oval".

The WAFC has given the private developers the option of including the redevelopment of the three-tier stand in their tenders. It hopes that redevelopment will help increase Subiaco Oval's seated capacity from 42,922 to as much as 48,000.

The WAFC has thrown the lucrative naming and management rights into the mix because it wants to ensure the redevelopment proceeds without saddling WA football's governing body with any additional debt.

WAFC chairman Neale Fong said that debt, incurred during the last major redevelopment of Subiaco Oval in 1999, stood at around $24 million.

Dr Fong said the WAFC hoped the tender process would result in innovative financing, management and lease proposals from the private sector to fund the redevelopment of the western end of Subiaco Oval and the three-tier stand, which was opened in 1969.

"The financing of this could be very substantial so we have to be open to something potentially out of left field," Dr Fong said.

The documents reveal those proposals could extend to naming and management rights.

"The naming rights of Subiaco Oval could be incorporated into the funding package," the documents state.

"At present, the WAFC manages Subiaco Oval. However, the WAFC may consider proposals which incorporate management rights as part of their funding package."

WAFC chief executive Wayne Bradshaw stressed yesterday the WAFC was investigating its options and that a range of issues would have to be addressed before any development commitments were made, including consultation with the City of Subiaco council, the State Government and Subiaco Football Club.

"We are simply exploring the potential for this site for the benefit of all of football, not to mention improving the visual appeal of the western end of the ground," Mr Bradshaw said.

-----------------------------
There's a large rendering of the proposed new stand which I'll scan and post later on.

It seems like a great idea, getting a private developer to fund the expasions, but are these expasions the solution? I think not. Getting the capacity "from 42,922 to as much as 48,000" is joke, especially considering it will cost in excess of $25 million easily. Surely they can't lack that much foresite. I guess the WAFC are just anxious that any move will have a negative effect on the game, such mentality i don't understand.

The one good thing that comes out of this is that they have realised more seats are needed. Just not at Subiaco.

mike

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Sensational stuff perthsmike, I eagerly await a render 8)

Observations:

Haydn Bunton spent most of his time at Norwood (was at 5 SANFL clubs over his career) and grew up a Port Adelaide fan - but they named a street around Subiaco after him? From memory he was only there for 4 years or so. He won a couple of premierships, but I don't see a Malcom Blight Drive anywhere around Adelaide :p

Observations that are actually on topic:

Extending the 3rd tier around the side will create one huge overhanging structure over the road. Big money.

The WAFC didn't get a naming rights sponsor through the first time, what makes them so sure this time?

If they're planning on replacing just that 3 tier stand with a stand that hold 5,000 more people... if you consider how far around the stadium it goes... that will be ONE BIG STAND. I remember reading that it was originally envisioned that the current 3 tier stand would've gone around the whole field, giving the ground a 100k capacity - so this new stand must be of... Waverly proportions :O

Subiaco is going to have one damn small capacity while that new stand is being built. Probably 30,000 or so. Start lining up for your next Eagles ticket now :)

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

And Dockers if it gets to 30,000 the whole season will be sold out - as was the Eagles games when redevelopment took place previously and capacity was limited to 35,000.

I was looking at the renderings this morning, and Im thinking why not demolish the second and third tier stands and build a three tier stand around that side of the ground at MCG proportions.

Im also thinking why does the Eagles need to have their clubrooms right outside the gate on Hadyn Bunton Drive - when this land could have been used to increase capacity substantially with a larger third tier - the current third tier will be constructed along the western side - thus only creating shadow onto the ground.

Yob, Haydn Bunton won three sandover medals, coached premierships in WA, I think and is a legend in WA. He was not the first however, Graham 'Polly' Farmer has a freeway named after him - which links East Perth and West Perth.

Yob the stand is going to stretch from the end of the ANZ stand to the old two tier stand near the media boxes - thus overlapping would only be evident on the southern side.

48,000 is great - but imagine the traffic hassels at a sell out. They need to work out a suitable traffic solution, spending 30min going about 1 km is not suitable these days.

I reckon though eventually Subiaco will only hold the Eagles with all other sporting events being constructed at a new stadium. The Eagles have put their roots down with a state of the art facility.

The WAFC will not get a naming rights sponsor as long as they belong to the Subiaco Council - heritage fanatics.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Egan wrote:48,000 is great - but imagine the traffic hassels at a sell out. They need to work out a suitable traffic solution, spending 30min going about 1 km is not suitable these days.
They should get people out of their cars and onto public transport. Suncorp works well in this way.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Getting Perth people to part from their cars in travelling is a major problem.

For our population our dependence on cars is amongst the world's highest.

Unfortunately until the southern railway is completed and years of advertising about the benefits of public transport before the results are shown - such as the caimpaign presently for the new meterorail.

Hopefully theirs some scop for future redevelopment - although this is unlikely.

I was just thinking Perthsmike the redeveloped stadium in the picture may be different as each company will get to choose the design of the stadium and the WAFC will choose the best design.

You may see Alia Holdings (aka Perth Glory) bidding for the contract - they already own half of Members Equity Stadium

Wouldn't that be awesome :D :!:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

One of you is going to scan the image soon. I can feel it.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

Here's the rendering, hopefully it clears up a few things.

So the new structure won't have to hang over the road and will be spread over the entire western end. I agree with Egan though, if they are going to redevelop it they might as well do it properly, ie build the stand to MCG proportions. Stuff adding "5000 seats" by creating a pissy little 3rd tier, make is deeper adding a few extra 1000 seats so that in years to come when they realise the mistake they dont waste further millions extending it.

Egan the Eagle club rooms are on Roberts road (the one running past the ANZ stand) and they are brand spanking new. The talk of eagle facilites on that car park site is a supporter facility which plans to include clubs, pubs, etc . there was even talk of a mid-rise hotel being incorporated (around 8 levels i think) but all of this will be paid by the eagles for the eagles.

I too am concerned about parking hassles, and I can assure you the trains are PACKED so they'll need to increase public transport if Subi gets too much bigger.

From my reading, the naming rights will be granted to the company who performs the redevelopment - as a form of incentive.

And lastly (and most importantly) cast your memories back a few years... doesn't this new proposal look familiar? It should...
Image :wink: :D

mike

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I wonder if this will add to the neverending stadium proposals in the west. This one looks like it may happen.

Im glad we have a diagram of the stadium though, but that third tier really pisses me off :wink:

I think their making bigger trains with the new train project, they have two stations, more trains is needed though. Get a traffic jam of trains servicing those stations - that will bring them in.

it must have been wierd photographing a paper :wink:

This morning on the radio I thought they said the capacity was going to increase 78,000 so I was excited and ran out to get the paper only to be dissapointed :(

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Well now i'm thoroughly confused :) When the article said redevelopment,
I thought that meant a date with a wrecking ball and a whole new stand
being built. But they're just extending the old stand? That stand is 35
years old already, you'd want to have a great deal of faith in the engineers
who say it's still up to the task!

That end of the ground is going to look like an absolute monster. It's a
pity that a disproportionate number of spectators will be seated in less than
optimum viewing areas, but it'll make great viewing on television that's for
sure!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The offers are included in an information memorandum which the WAFC has sent to at least four Perth property developers who have been invited to come up with "innovative and commercially viable ideas" for a multi-million-dollar redevelopment at the western end of Subiaco Oval and the old three-tier stand.
Yob Im absoloutley positive that the demolition blocks will come in after sitting on the third tier recently.

Hopefully, they need to spruce that end of the ground up, since its the main enterance.

Also the reason why Subiaco has such a small capacity at the moment, is the amount of boxes and suites that where constructed on the northern side in the development. Capacity would probably be 46,000 if it wasnt for the corporate boxes their.

I just hope the design changes, but it will make the stadium's appearance alot better.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

You should have patented that idea Mike :lol:

This is gret news for Subi. That end will become a huge source of noise etc. It could swing matches.

Any chance of a third tier at the other goals as well?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I'd doubt it as currently the present second tier is only 5-6 years old, when the last development took place, people complained that it lacked foresight and reduced the prospect of expansion at a latter date.

The area behind that goals is Kitchener Park which would allow expansion to increase - but I highly doubt it as the structure is very new. The area of the present expansion is the oldest part of the ground, thus the depreciation of that stand means that it is suitable for development and is probably the only area likely to be developed in the future, unless the WAFC buy some house across the road from subiaco and make the ANZ stand bigger.

Lets hope the third tier becomes bigger :!:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Whatever choice they make to expand the capacity, it'll cost a shitload. I'd
prefer a tier over the ANZ stand (would require buying up properties on
the other side of the street), that way a majority of people would be in
premium viewing areas, instead of behind goal ends.

Expanding the goal ends will make a great home town advantage though.
When Mark Ricciuto wins the coin toss, he always elects to kick to the
southern end of AAMI Stadium, so they can kick to the huge northern
stand end in the final quarter. Well, it didn't work this year.. .at all... but in
theory it works :)

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

I should have Jeffles :wink:

lol ok this is a break down of it all:
A) its 99.99% likely that whole western end will be demolished (its gaaawn!) and redeveloped. Don't take much notice of the rendering, its just showing what it will generally look like, not an actual proposal. Chances are the new stand will be bigger (well me and Egan are hoping so :wink: ).
B) the western end is the only area of the stadium which will even be considered to be altered in the next 10 years. All other areas require massive structural changes in order for more seats.

So now put in your wish lists. what do we want in this new stand? Huge open spaces, lots of glass, "sky-bars" and most importantly NO corporate boxes, there are heaps as it is.

mike
Last edited by perthsmike on Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The biggest winners out of this would be the Eagles - can increase their membership from 40,000 to about 45,000.
That will leave 3000 seats for the general public as it does currently.

Dockers will be happy - but just as empty seats at Dockers games was slowly dissapearing, more empty seats will appear.

Although that is a good thing it might force ticket sales for Dockers games even lower.