Bob Jane Stadium redevelopment

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
cam
Gold

Bob Jane Stadium redevelopment

Post by cam »

I drove past Bob Jane Stadium today and noticed temporary fencing has been put up around it. Also noticed the "Bob Jane" sponsors sign on the grandstand had been replaced with Watpac. Looks like the redevelopment is commencing.
A visit to the SMFC website confirmed that - they've relocated their remaining VPL games to John Cain Memorial Park.
We won't see Bob Jane Stadium like this again... http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.840422,1 ... d=20100416

Jeffles
Platinum

Re: Bob Jane Stadium redevelopment

Post by Jeffles »

It was a great venue for its purpose.

blackmissionary
Bronze

Post by blackmissionary »

I've been trying to keep up with the latest goings on with this redevelopment, but it's harder to do when the club doesn't put out any info, and when one doesn't have a reason to go past there every second week at a minimum have a look/take photos. Anyway, work finally started after the various government departments eventually sorted their stuff out. The initial phase began very late last month I believe, setting up all the construction necessities. They've dug up all the terracing - the awful scoreboard which ran on a 386 is gone, as is the rickety media tower, the wooden seats which were from Waverley Park.

http://southmelbournefc.blogspot.com/se ... evelopment.

Major Projects Victoria has a 40 second animated video showing what they think it will look like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcn21eKSpMk

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

To this day, I am still suprised that the quarter-billion+ dollars spent on AAMI Park actually came to fruition, when in the first place all of the stakeholders would have settled for an EAS Johns Stand style grandstand on the hill side of Bob Jane (with minor upgrades to the rest of the stadium and doing something with the original stand).

I can't believe it didn't become Melbournes' premier rectangular stadium... But for the best that it didn't in the end.

blackmissionary
Bronze

Post by blackmissionary »

I noticed someone hit my blog from this thread recently, so here's a minor update. Three of the light towers have been removed, the hills that formed the basis of the terracing are also gone, and there appears to be the beginning of a structure on the outer side. One light tower has been retained for the time being at least, perhaps because it has a Vodafone transmitter on it. The 1926 stand has had its insides ripped out, and is being held up by steel girders.

http://southmelbournefc.blogspot.com/20 ... orner.html

http://southmelbournefc.blogspot.com/se ... evelopment

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

Was in the nearby lake and saw the progress and it looks like it will be a copy of WA Athletics Stadium but with 3 stands.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I remember there was a potential issue regarding funding for lighting for the new state athletics venue. However I drove past tonight and noticed four brand new towers have gone up. Must be nearing completion now. Not sure if there's any photos floating around.

Oriolus
Bronze

Post by Oriolus »

cam wrote:Not sure if there's any photos floating around.
Saw a photo posted by stadium king in this thread back in April - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3710

Someone in that thread asked why the blue track, which is an interesting question - that seems to be what all the cool kids are using now. Berlin had a blue track for 2009 World Champs, Daegu has gone blue for this years World Champs. It was said that Berlin was blue because that was the colour of Hertha Berlin, who play at the stadium, and I've also heard that blue makes for better TV pictures. Maybe they realised that after Berlin? Someone also said birds wont crap on the track cause they think its water :)

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Whatever the reason, it looks f***ing sexual.

add0001
Bronze

Post by add0001 »

NO RUNNING TRACK PLEEAASSEEE

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

I reckon the ship's sailed on that son.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

It was re-purposed as the states premier athletics venue. Of course there's going to be a bloody track.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

add0001, Yob or sophisticated spambot?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

acts like a spambot but there's no spam content. I'm confused. Maybe he does malware instead