The best essay to write ever

Anything relating to the Australian Stadiums website such as comments, updates, etc.
User avatar
Egan
Platinum
Posts: 16921
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:14 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Postby Egan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:07 pm

:lol:

Yeah leaving to head to one of the best Archaeology Universities in the country, because UWA is way too sh*t for Archaeology.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EST-1996-New-Football-begins/305721319556718

User avatar
redback_original
Silver
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 11:03 am

Postby redback_original » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Egan wrote::lol:

Yeah leaving to head to one of the best Archaeology Universities in the country, because UWA is way too sh*t for Archaeology.


That's great.

Where is it on the THE - QS?

User avatar
Egan
Platinum
Posts: 16921
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:14 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Postby Egan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:26 pm

redback_original wrote:
Where is it on the THE - QS?


Don't know what you are trying to say.

But I was recommended Flinders and Sydney University. I was recommended Flinders over Australian National as well...

I was told to not even look at going to UWA. Although there could be other reasons for that as well...But have heard from various people that they are not well thought of by employers, including people who I have talked to within UWA.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EST-1996-New-Football-begins/305721319556718

User avatar
redback_original
Silver
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 11:03 am

Postby redback_original » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:39 pm

Egan wrote:
redback_original wrote:
Where is it on the THE - QS?


Don't know what you are trying to say.

But I was recommended Flinders and Sydney University. I was recommended Flinders over Australian National as well...

I was told to not even look at going to UWA. Although there could be other reasons for that as well...But have heard from various people that they are not well thought of by employers, including people who I have talked to within UWA.


That's the world rankings. Places a big emphasis on research. Where did Flinders come in the GUG?

User avatar
Egan
Platinum
Posts: 16921
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:14 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Postby Egan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:45 pm

I know where you are coming from in regards to university wide results.

But every university has specialisations. People from Adelaide know that Flinders are a very good medical and archaeological university.

Dr Mark Staniforth
Dr Lynley Wallis
Dr Heather Bourke

All three professors have a great reputation, all three will be teaching me next semester. Dr Mark Staniforth is probably the leading Maritime Archaeologist in the country...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EST-1996-New-Football-begins/305721319556718

User avatar
Egan
Platinum
Posts: 16921
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:14 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Postby Egan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:19 pm

So Redback

What do you do with yourself?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EST-1996-New-Football-begins/305721319556718

User avatar
redback_original
Silver
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 11:03 am

Postby redback_original » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Egan wrote:I know where you are coming from in regards to university wide results.

But every university has specialisations. People from Adelaide know that Flinders are a very good medical and archaeological university.

Dr Mark Staniforth
Dr Lynley Wallis
Dr Heather Bourke

All three professors have a great reputation, all three will be teaching me next semester. Dr Mark Staniforth is probably the leading Maritime Archaeologist in the country...


That's great. I'm sure you're in the right place.

And you're right - specialisations are what's needed rather than the blanding that Julia Gillard wants. She wants all unis to teach the same stuff - so that people like yourself don't have to move.

K Rudd wants trade certificates to be the equivalent of uni degrees.

I must admit however, you're the first person I've spoken to who has preferred a non-Go8 over a Go8.

User avatar
Egan
Platinum
Posts: 16921
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:14 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Postby Egan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:38 pm

redback_original wrote:
That's great. I'm sure you're in the right place.

And you're right - specialisations are what's needed rather than the blanding that Julia Gillard wants. She wants all unis to teach the same stuff - so that people like yourself don't have to move.

K Rudd wants trade certificates to be the equivalent of uni degrees.

I must admit however, you're the first person I've spoken to who has preferred a non-Go8 over a Go8.


Cheers. I used various factors on my decision.

Sydney - Bigger city, more expensive to live in,
Canberra - More expensive to live in, no sport and was told Flinders was more worthwhile to go to then ANU. I
Adelaide - Cheaper city to live in, no Force, but other sport I can watch. The response I got from one of the lecturers was over 1000 words wanting me to come to Flinders and study. Compared to the three line response I got from ANU. Closer to Perth
Perth - I didn't get accepted into Honours at Notre Dame. So I decided I would go national - Flinders and ANU where my picks. I chose Flinders over ANU.

Plus I am never one to go to a university based on reputation...otherwise I would have transferred to UWA before graduating from Notre Dame. I pick as i do my politics based on wide ranging factors.


And you're right - specialisations are what's needed rather than the blanding that Julia Gillard wants. She wants all unis to teach the same stuff - so that people like yourself don't have to move.

K Rudd wants trade certificates to be the equivalent of uni degrees


There are merits in K.Rudd's view. I think Julia Gillard is on another planet. But I think these specialisations come about through hard work and particular staff members enthusiasm that builds a culture. I know the horror stories of UWA has come about due to particular staff members ineptitude.

Martin Gibbs left UWA and a few others...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EST-1996-New-Football-begins/305721319556718

User avatar
redback_original
Silver
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 11:03 am

Postby redback_original » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:56 pm

Wow.. I never knew you when to Notre Dame.

That's so cool. Fighting Irish. Contracts with NBC.

You've hit the nail on the head about specialisations and ''particular staff members". That's what it's all about rather than the institutions they work for.

The three line response from ANU is to be expected. Real universities don't go out of their way to be nice.

So why do you hate UWA so much? Do you think they deserve to be Go8?

User avatar
Egan
Platinum
Posts: 16921
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:14 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Postby Egan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:06 pm

redback_original wrote:Wow.. I never knew you when to Notre Dame.

That's so cool. Fighting Irish. Contracts with NBC.

You've hit the nail on the head about specialisations and ''particular staff members". That's what it's all about rather than the institutions they work for.


The three line response from ANU is to be expected. Real universities don't go out of their way to be nice.

So why do you hate UWA so much? Do you think they deserve to be Go8?


Notre Dame Australia :lol:

I have no doubt UWA is a good university, but for Archaeology they are hopeless. Curtin rivals them in some engineering courses. My Uncles partner is an Accountant and he says they prefer Curtin Students over UWA.

Murdoch have a very good program in Indonesian, I know some very bright and intelligent people who have chosen Murdoch.

Notre Dame is the fastest growing university in the country.

As I say when i first went to Notre Dame, I was choosing between it and Murdoch. I got my first preference in Mass Communications, but because Notre Dame have a different system, I also got an acceptance from them. They have an interview system - interview every student and look at you not just on results but the interview.

I chose Notre Dame initially because they offered a specialised degree in Politics and Journalism, something nobody else in WA was offering...

I find UWA irritating because people seem to go there to say "im from uwa". However one of my good mates Sathc goes to UWA and they have an awesome library to use for research. Its all about what is the best personal fit for every student...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EST-1996-New-Football-begins/305721319556718

User avatar
redback_original
Silver
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 11:03 am

Postby redback_original » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:17 pm

Egan wrote:
redback_original wrote:Wow.. I never knew you when to Notre Dame.

That's so cool. Fighting Irish. Contracts with NBC.

You've hit the nail on the head about specialisations and ''particular staff members". That's what it's all about rather than the institutions they work for.


The three line response from ANU is to be expected. Real universities don't go out of their way to be nice.

So why do you hate UWA so much? Do you think they deserve to be Go8?


Notre Dame Australia :lol:

I have no doubt UWA is a good university, but for Archaeology they are hopeless. Curtin rivals them in some engineering courses. My Uncles partner is an Accountant and he says they prefer Curtin Students over UWA.

Murdoch have a very good program in Indonesian, I know some very bright and intelligent people who have chosen Murdoch.

Notre Dame is the fastest growing university in the country.

As I say when i first went to Notre Dame, I was choosing between it and Murdoch. I got my first preference in Mass Communications, but because Notre Dame have a different system, I also got an acceptance from them. They have an interview system - interview every student and look at you not just on results but the interview.

I chose Notre Dame initially because they offered a specialised degree in Politics and Journalism, something nobody else in WA was offering...

I find UWA irritating because people seem to go there to say "im from uwa". However one of my good mates Sathc goes to UWA and they have an awesome library to use for research. Its all about what is the best personal fit for every student...


That's very interesting about Notre Dame - they sound quite innovative.

The whole thing with people saying ''I went to UWA" is because there was a time when universities were universities.

Back in 1987 the Hawke government decided that anyone could become a uni. Teachers colleges became unis overnight.

Please don't get angry when I ask this, but is Flinders one of these pre-1987 instutions?

User avatar
Egan
Platinum
Posts: 16921
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:14 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Postby Egan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:30 pm

redback_original wrote:
That's very interesting about Notre Dame - they sound quite innovative.

The whole thing with people saying ''I went to UWA" is because there was a time when universities were universities.

Back in 1987 the Hawke government decided that anyone could become a uni. Teachers colleges became unis overnight.

Please don't get angry when I ask this, but is Flinders one of these pre-1987 instutions?


Just looking at wikipedia Academic Rating of World Universities compiled Jiao Tong University. Flinders rated 10th. Flinders was founded in 1966



UWA - 1911
Edith Cowan - Teachers College in 1902 became a university 1991 (its reputation in Perth is not good. Although it has one of the nations most famous Political analysts in Dr Peter Van Onselen.
Murdoch 1973
Curtin - 1966 Western Australian Information of Technology - Changed to Curtin in 1986
Notre Dame University - Commenced in 1992 as one of Australia's first private universities. Initially it was done to provide a catholic teaching school. But now incorporatesMedicine, Law, Physio, Arts, Psychology etc
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EST-1996-New-Football-begins/305721319556718

User avatar
redback_original
Silver
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 11:03 am

Postby redback_original » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:35 pm

Egan wrote:
redback_original wrote:
That's very interesting about Notre Dame - they sound quite innovative.

The whole thing with people saying ''I went to UWA" is because there was a time when universities were universities.

Back in 1987 the Hawke government decided that anyone could become a uni. Teachers colleges became unis overnight.

Please don't get angry when I ask this, but is Flinders one of these pre-1987 instutions?


Just looking at wikipedia Academic Rating of World Universities compiled Jiao Tong University. Flinders rated 10th. Flinders was founded in 1966



UWA - 1911
Edith Cowan - Teachers College in 1902 became a university 1991 (its reputation in Perth is not good. Although it has one of the nations most famous Political analysts in Dr Peter Van Onselen.
Murdoch 1973
Curtin - 1966 Western Australian Information of Technology - Changed to Curtin in 1986
Notre Dame University - Commenced in 1992 as one of Australia's first private universities. Initially it was done to provide a catholic teaching school. But now incorporatesMedicine, Law, Physio, Arts, Psychology etc


Rated 10th??????? In Australia???? So does that mean that if there was a Go10 it would be in it?

User avatar
Egan
Platinum
Posts: 16921
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:14 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Postby Egan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:37 pm

redback_original wrote:
Rated 10th??????? In Australia???? So does that mean that if there was a Go10 it would be in it?


According to Jiao Tong University...

Yes :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EST-1996-New-Football-begins/305721319556718

User avatar
Egan
Platinum
Posts: 16921
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:14 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Postby Egan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flinders_University

Here is the wiki link...]

Here is the ranking link from the wiki page

http://www.arwu.org/rank2008/ARWU2008_TopAsia(EN).htm

Top 100 Universities in the Asia Pacific region...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EST-1996-New-Football-begins/305721319556718


Return to “Website”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest