MCG AFL Crowds

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
cam
Gold

MCG AFL Crowds

Post by cam »

Useless information, however I thought I would post it anyway. It was in the Herald Sun the other day.

Home And Away Attendances
At the MCG 1992 - 2002

1992 - 33,382
1993 - 39,323
1994 - 44,119
1995 - 48,127
1996 - 46,114
1997 - 43,488
1998 - 47,585
1999 - 42,370
2000 - 46,141
2001 - 47,425
2002 - 41,868

They are fantastic crowds for this great stadium, and if finals were included, they would be much higher.

The article was just about how the AFL wants more control over scheduling finals at the G.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

The MCC is just a greedy group of unscrupulous old farts and their incredibly crafty lawyers. For a cricket club to have so much control over a completely different sport is ludicrous.
As a Brisbane Lions fan I sympathise with Crows supporters like you Yob. Too often, our teams have earned important games during the finals series and Wizard Cup only to see the MCC exercise its 'right' (who was the idiot in the AFL that agreed to this???) to let dickhead teams like Collingwood, Essendon, North Melbourne (just 'Kangaroos' is the stupidest team name ever) and Carlton have homeground advantage.
Well Yob, at least you and I know that between us, both our teams have won FOUR of the last SIX premierships (actually.... interstate teams have won SIX out of the last ELEVEN- better than 50%...so HA!).
Aaaaahhhh.....It really feels good to get things off your chest by bagging anything from Victoria.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I was expecting a comment like that from your argee.
You have to understand that the MCG is the HOME of Aussie Rules, therefore it's well within its rights to host at least 1 match per week during the finals. It's similar with the NRL. Telstra Stadium is the home of Rugby League. If Melbourne Storm finished on top of the ladder, won its qualifying final, the Prelim final would still be held at Telstra Stadium (or Aussie Stadium).

And also, if Victoria was a one team town, i'm sure we would be doing much better on the field! Don't bag the sporting capital.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

I do understand your point Cam. I really do. But surely you can also understand that it is extremely frustrating for all of us here in non-Melbourne when the best three teams in the comp (Brisbane, Adelaide & Port) have to miss out on important home ground advantage during the finals. I am more than fine with the Grand Final being played at the MCG. It is just commonsense to play the GF there. But, surely the AFL can work something out where the above 3 teams get what they worked all season for. Brisbane, Adelaide and Port may as well have lost a few more regular season games and finished 3rd, 4th and 5th instead of 1st, 2nd and 3rd for the venues they ended up playing at during the finals in 2002.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The West Coast Eagles have had it done twice against essendon and Carlton the Eagles were the higher placed team, yet the people in the eastern states never made a big deal about it as it was a "Western" Australian team. key word "western" outcast, other side of nulabor, not worth making a fuss about. But when a team such as Adelaide bouyed by their patriotic media launch attacks on the AFL for one final the whole continent listens and thinks adelaide are the only team to be badly done by.

If people thought about it teams from WA start 8 points behind the rest due to the travel and disregard put on our teams, the only positive points is that the ING Cup final, NBL Finals and most probably the NSL Grand Final will be played in Perth, giving our city and team the right to have the same breathing space as eastern sates teams. It just shows you we start 8 points behind but a million points in front. Due to our loyaltly, passion, support of all LOCAL teams ( including soccer) and living in a city blessed with more sunlight then any other in Australia. Ahh aren't ya jeaulous

Ok now my sob story has finished yes i do think the MCC are a bunch of greedy people, but really adelaide cant be complaining about travelling an hour and a half to a final in a plane. It just shows you when south australians want to have a whinge everythings directed at victoria, and much of it is just a sob story much like mine above. Get realistic south Aussies your football team isnt hardly done by just look across the nullabor to West Coast and Fremantle and then you can see the real problems the AFL give us. Then you will realise that you don't have as big a problem as the media leads us to believe. Remember we were the first team to take the premiership off Victoria, the first team in a grand final and have played in more grand finals then any other interstate clubs. all this from a team in the outcast region of Australia.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Don't worry Egan, Brisbane (who also have to travel huge distances for away games) is going to win more premierships for a while yet, so the Eagles record will be broken in time. Thats got to be better than a Victorian or South Australian team winning it.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

argee your not serious are you?, Brisbane do not have to travel huge distances you are on the doorstep of sydney, a mere 2 hour flight to Melbourne and adelaide, have a think about the eagles travel plan launceston, brisbane, melbourne, adelaide, sydney these locations all require anywhere from 2 1/2 hours to 6 hours if you think Brisbane have to travel as far as the eagles u have another thing coming. I do think though that the eagles will be right for a premiership in 2,3 years time remember we thrashed Brisbane at home, and yes they had to travel a long way ( for the only time in the year) so i do think the eagles will try as hard as anything to protect there record, lets hope sydney and port adelaide win it so they dont overtake the eagles.
Just remember argee Perth is the most isolated city in the world, so you can never compare the Lions travel distance to the eagles.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Most isolated city in the world. Come on Egan. When was your last trip to Vladivostok :lol: :lol: That Trans Siberian railway isn't exactly an "All Stations to the City" service :lol: :lol:

But you are right. Perth is the most isolated city in OZ.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Ill tell you now Vladivostok has a major city in Pyonyang closer to it then Perth has a major city. If you look at Vladivostok and where it is situitated its not very isolated at all ( look at a map). Its a confirmed fact that Perth is the most isolated city in the world. Hmm you have failed to look at Vladivostok on the coast of russia being close to china, and the major cities around the border, aswell as the closeness to the korean peninsula and capital Pyongyang. Sorry Jeffles you'll have to wrong this time, just lets hope the Wildcats beat Sydney and then you can say Vladivostok is more isolated then Perth. The series isnt over eastern staters. Wildcats are formidible at home and this time we have our home crowd barracking us home. Go Wildcats

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

What about the political barrier between the two cities. Pyongyang is the last bastion of Communism. North Korea is a joke :lol: I've lost that argument Egan. At the moment it is Sydney 84-64 over the Wildcats in the 4th. Looking good.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

Anyway back to the point... does anyone knows when the deal between the MCC and AFL finishes? I heard it was in 2007. Lets hope that the AFL wakes up and tell the MCC to shove it. Why should they control vital issues such as home finals etc for our league? its a bit like the AFL telling the NRl where to play! And i cant wait to see the day when its an Eagles, Docker grand final (abt 20 yrs) at a packed 85,000 subi, eagles winning of course! :D

mike

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

because, as mentioned above, the MCG is the home of Australian Football. As is Telstra Stadium - home of Rugby League. The AFL Grand Final will always be played at the MCG. (Will the NRL Grand Final ever be played in Melbourne?)

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »