A-LEAGUE launch: "New Football"

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
beastjim
Gold

Re: A-LEAGUE launch: "New Football"

Post by beastjim »

And the game between Gold Coast and Central Coast doesn't make it to the 20 minute mark thanks to a water logged pitch. Now has to be replayed and It would look like either Australia Day or February 9/10 would be the likely dates to fit the game into the schedule.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Honestly, sometime I wonder if footbal in this country is cursed or something:(
Did John Safran get 'that' curse lifted only to have it re-land on the A-League?

the atmosphere actually sounded pretty good over the pouring rain, Skilled Park would be a cracker of an away day if GCU could get AUFC sized crowds! The pitch was terrible, is that because of the weather or has pre-season training for the Titans started already?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Titans don't train at the stadium. The pitch is pretty much a disaster.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

As I understand it the pitch has suffered because of all the rain SE Queensland has had over the past couple of months. Real shame it bucketed down so much on Sunday - would have been great to see the stadium near capacity for an A-League game.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Never fear, the Fury are doing the FREE entry thing now too for their game against the 'Nix on Dec 27.

They've always got pretty good support, so I reckon they'll pack it out...provided a monsoon doesn't hit!

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

The other curious thing about the washed out GCU-CCM game was the report that people were still trying to get into the game when it was called off (almost twenty minutes after the start). Is the crowd management at this stadium so bad they can't move people in and out quickly? There were only 10,000 people there!

Or were these people just badly organised?

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Boba Fett wrote:The other curious thing about the washed out GCU-CCM game was the report that people were still trying to get into the game when it was called off (almost twenty minutes after the start). Is the crowd management at this stadium so bad they can't move people in and out quickly? There were only 10,000 people there!

Or were these people just badly organised?
I've never been to Robina Stadium, but I'm hearing all sorts of stories about how difficult it is to find a car park nearby. I suppose if you didn't go to Titans games(cos you're a football person for example and Clive's one-off offer tempted you into attending), its feasible that you might have difficulties finding a park and then getting into the ground in time for kick-off?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

People need to realise that you're not meant to drive and park, and Gold Coast locals should know this by now, its been 3 years I think. Drive to a train station (say Nerang or Varsity Lakes) and get the train.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Sitting on a train next to a... sh*t do I have to say this. Working class person. Is just too much for the middle class sensibilities of the average driver.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

yob wrote:Sitting on a train next to a... sh*t do I have to say this. Working class person. Is just too much for the middle class sensibilities of the average driver.
But these are people living on the Gold Coast, how strong can their middle class sensibilities be?

broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

I don't know about arriving, but Robina sucks when trying to leave. Most people are catching the train, so the lineup at the train station is hell on earth. Mind you, this was for a Titans game where 20 000 attended so I can't imagine it being as bad for the GCU game.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

for a gcu game it'd probably be like the crowds dispersing to class after a high school assembly.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Some high schools on the GC have bigger enrollments then GCU crowds.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Oh and Palmer (through Queensland Nickel) is going to bank roll the Fury to have a free entry game. I think he has been seen by the three ghosts of Christmas past or something. Its the upcoming game against the Nix on Dec 27.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

beastjim wrote:Some high schools on the GC have bigger enrollments then GCU crowds.

they just need to put on an all you can eat buffet and pokies at your seat to get the oldies crown in....or have a white shoe and pony tail day