GO SOCCEROOS!!!

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
cam
Gold

GO SOCCEROOS!!!

Post by cam »

What a win!! 3-1

Well, we can now beet the English in anything and everything!

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

It was worth it just to see the dirty look on the faces of Posh and Becks sitting in their own private box towards the end of the game.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

my eagle eye
Bronze

Post by my eagle eye »

marcus wrote:
Such a better feeling than it was 5 years ago with that tragic loss to Iran :(
And the loss to Uraguay in 2001!

tailz
Bronze

Post by tailz »

don't follow the soccer but go australia. just waiting for the smart arse comment from a certain poster that england throw the game and are still better then australia at everything :roll:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Good call about Posh and Becks argee. I was thinking that when I saw it this morning. and about what you said tailz, that's what I was thinking too. And this is my pre-emptive comeback.

Even though England were not taking the game seriously, it is still a serious embarrassment to let Australia, ranked 50 in the world, beat you by two goals at home. They would not be happy at losing, friendly or not. Because it was a friendly, England should've expected a draw or a win by 1 goal. Instead they lost by 2.

Th incredible irony is, the English youngsters that came on in the 2nd half drew their half 1-1. While the seasoned pros lost their half 2-0.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

What I don't understand is the fuss made by all of the top English clubs about their Aussie players playing in the game.
It was a FIFA sheduled day for international friendlies. All of the top national teams were playing and they also have a large number of players in the English league. If all the clubs were concerned about injuries and time off taken by their players for international friendlies then maybe the FA should not have scheduled games for a week either side of the Wednesday in question.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I watched the match live and was also happy that they won, actualy ecstatic i mean i woke up at 3:00 am and really even though i didnt get bak to sleep, It was a great game to watch.

Yet we can not get too carried away with our fortunes, we won a "FREINDLY" and it was a very histroic moment for us first time playing england in england and our first win against them. Yet we failed to qualify for the confederations cup, yes i know they had a different squad but the fact is they are a very incosistent. I may seem to put this match into context not like the media and sports fan but really all it was a freindly and really we can not get too carried away with a victory, theirs a lot of blood sweat and tears before Germany 2006, the SOCCEROOS must qualify regardless whether we beat england or not. This has to be are 1st priority

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

We are more than likely going to have to play New Zealand for the right to play at Germany 2006. And it would be just like the Kiwis to beat us when we are so close.
By the way, the FIFA world rankings are crap. Australia does not deserve to not even be in the top 50 when we would easily beat a top ten team like the USA- I know....I found it hard to believe that even America was in the top ten. We are only ranked 50 because of the low overall standing of the Oceania Confederation.

Post by Guest »

Argee, the clubs and the FA are not the same so obviously they wil disagree on friendlies.
No England player were allowed to play more than one half, and I think the clubs wanted the same to apply for the australians. Ofcourse that is not up to them, but then again the match should never have been played, the clubs dont want to pay astronomical wages, for players to be away playing irrelevant games

Post by Guest »

Football is ultra competitive. France won the cup in 98 but did not even qualify in 94 despite Europe sending around 15 teams, so I think Australia are rather lucky to get direct qualification to the world cup, but once youre there, there is no reason why you should not do well.
T he best way for you to succeed is good youth development, not any national league you may have, and then by the time theyre 15 the best players should go to europe,and