Cricket World Cup: Bad Mix of Sport & Politics

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!

Should the Australian Cricket team have to play in Zimbabwe?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:56 pm

Yes
50%
No
38%
Not sure
13%

Total votes: 8

argee
Bronze

Cricket World Cup: Bad Mix of Sport & Politics

Post by argee »

What are people's thoughts about the governments apprehension about Australia playing cricket in Zimbabwe.?
Didn't world sports bodies learn anything about involving politics in sports events from the Moscow Olympic boycott?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I think they should play if there is no danger to the players. Why should cricket alone be called on to make a protest whereas business and diplomatic interests in Zimbabwe remain.

Foreign Affairs is worried that the Aussies playing there might lead to protesters being hurt. Rubbish! They'd be hurt or not either way because Mugbae is a prick. Also, I doubt his regime would try anything hile there is a higher media presence in the country, which there would be if there were World Cup matches.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Good point. Mugabe might be a prick but I doubt he'd be so stupid as to sanction any violence with the world's media on his country.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The ICC has never said that they supported the Mugabe regeme, the horrific murder of white people. But what about the decent Zimbabweans both black and white seeing there nation in a world cup. The Cricket World Cup has nothing to do with the mugabe regeme so the Cricketers should go an play in Zimbabwe, if trouble arises south africas only a few hundred kms away from bulawayo if u look at a map.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

You've hit the nail right on the head Egan. That is exactly the point.
The only people who miss out are the players and spectators. The U.S. led boycott of the Moscow Olympics was supposed to make some kind of political point, but instead a large number of athletes missed their one opportunity for an Olympic medal. Surely this is evidence enough that the games in Zimbabwe & Kenya should go ahead unless there is a REAL threat to the players, not just a because of someone's bad FEELING or stupid media hysteria that something might happen.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Although this doesn't really help my point it i interesting. I was reading my book of quotations and stumbled upon this snippet about cricket.

"Cricket civilises people and creates good gentlemen. I want everyone to play cricket in Zimbabwe; I want ours to be a nation of gentlemen"

Robert Mugabe, The Sunday Times (UK), 1984

How about that for irony!!!!!