Pura Cup in Newcastle

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
cam
Gold

Pura Cup in Newcastle

Post by cam »

The Pura Cup match in Newcastle between NSW and WA seemed to be a success. The crowds were:
Day 1: 4,248
Day 2: 4,953
Day 3: 4,433
Day 4: 2,558
Total: 16,192

So not too bad at all (for a Pura Cup match), and it was a good game also.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It is a great initiative. My fellow Sydneysiders won't watch Pura Cup so you may as well take it somewhere where they will. If that match was at the SCG there would've been a quarter of the attendance. Also not that the ING match played at Coffs Harbour this month got over 8000. Taking cricket to country areas has been a great move for the Blues. I hope they keep it up.

It was a goo match too at Newcastle. The Blues getting home by two runs.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

riverinafl
Bronze

Post by riverinafl »

Also Lavington Oval,
Robertson and Maher Ovals in Wagga,
Narrandera Sportsground and

Exies Oval in Griffith which has hosted International One Day matches in the past and is also one of the best Day/Night venues outside the NSW Metro Cities.

SEE

http://www.riverinafl.netfirms.com/Exies%20Oval.html
http://www.riverinafl.netfirms.com/Favo ... diums.html

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

They've continued. In what is becoing one of the Pura Cup's highlights, the Newcastle match has delighted organisers again.

After 3 days, the aggregate attendance is 15,800. Day 1 alone got 6321. Brilliant. I'd like to seee NSW take a match to Wollongong as well. Wollongong has hosted tour matches in the past. I think it will go down well.

Surely this is the way to go for the Blues. Other states may not benefit as much (since other states don't have big cities outsider the capital) but there is a lot of merit in this. I'd like to see Qld in the north (if you could avoid tropical rain), the Vics in Geelong, and Tassie in their north.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Go the Vics! Anyway, the crowds were: 6231, 3932, 5638, 1853 (Total: 17,654). Bloody great.

In the past, Victoria has played games in Ballarat and I think also Bendigo - may have only been 1 day games though.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Bloody Vics. They're specials for the Pura Cup. Still, hat do you expect when more than half of the NSW attack is toiling away in the Test side for most of the season :wink:

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Considering that the 1999/00 Pura Milk Cup final was played at the Allan Border Field in Brisbane in front of a total crowd of 15,747, I'd say its perfectly feasible for interstate matches to be played in regional centres.

In fact, several regional Qld grounds have been used for first-class cricket in the past. They are: Salter Oval, Bundaberg; Bundaberg Rum Stadium, Cairns; Roy Henzell Oval, Henzell Park, Caloundra; Harrup Park, Mackay; Newtown Oval, Maryborough; Heritage Oval, Toowoomba; and Endeavour Park, Murray, Townsville.

P.S. Of all the name changes that have come about through sponsorship deals, I reckon that the renaming of the Sheffield Shield is the most sacrilegious.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Totally agree James. Sheffield Shield was the best name and one of the best trophies you'll see. Bloody sponsors.