Australian Test Cricket Team

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
gyfox
Platinum

Australian Test Cricket Team

Post by gyfox »

I am lost for words about the management of the Test Team over this season but this last episode takes the cake.

4 players dropped because they didn't submit by email or make a personal presentation about what they bring to the team.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/wat ... 2fw9i.html

the crow
Gold

Re: Australian Test Cricket Team

Post by the crow »

Mickey Arthur's is a Dbag....where is his presentation to Australian cricket fans for being a dick, sack all the entire coaching, selection and management team FFS.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

When I heard that players had been stood down, I assumed it must be drugs, PEDs, gambling or match-fixing, rather than not handing in their homework on time

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Good news is that Shane Watson should retire from the test team

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Either we're not being told the full story, or this is the most bizarre management decision in the history of professional sport.

Yes, the four players deserve some form of punishment for not complying with the coach's instruction, but - dropping them from a Test match?!?!?

Questions:

Why did Arthur feel it necessary to ask the players to do this task? As coach, does he not know the answers to these questions already? Is he incapable of getting the players to accomplish the stated goals?

Having been asked by the coach to do this task, why did four players (a quarter of the touring party) fail to comply?

I would suggest that the answers to these questions would indicate that Arthur does not have the ability to effectively coach this team anymore, and that he has lost the support of (at the very least) a large section of the team. As such, I am hoping that someone at the highest levels of CA have the balls to do the obvious and replace Arthur with someone else.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Why did Arthur feel it necessary to ask the players to do this task? As coach, does he not know the answers to these questions already? Is he incapable of getting the players to accomplish the stated goals?
It comes off as the type of passive-aggressive management technique that only an insecure manager would try - throwing it back at the players to tell the manager what they can do...I mean really. It's his bloody job to know and to decide.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Cricket Australia said there were other undisclosed breaches by these four players as well.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

forgot to floss and brush their teeth?

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

didn't make their beds probably.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

they probably did something boonie got away with

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Why would the high performance manager go public criticising the Vice Captain as sometimes not being a team man? Is it really the way to bring the best out of the player and the team. Good on Watson for getting off the plane and straight away putting Howard in his place. There certainly appears to be a link between the teams poor performance and the new regime that is establishing a new culture.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

It's all very bizarre. They are on a PR disaster course ATM. Pattinson's statement sounded like he was a hostage from a kidnapper.

Cronulla would be happy this has happened however...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »