NRL 2012

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
IanRitchie
Platinum

Re: NRL 2012

Post by IanRitchie »

Jeffles wrote: From the Matt Rendell files, Ch 9 news reported some ex-Parra players self-styled as "experts" were blaming an oversupply of Polynesian players for Parramatta's misfortunes. I find that hard to accept given the Warriros made the GF last year. I think Parra's problems come down to an oversupply of players not playing to their reputation. On paper, they are a top 8 side.
that argument might have held water about 15 years ago. nowdays any polynesian player (to the extent being suggested) that isn't professional enough would be shipped off to england (or souths) pretty fast. parra's problems come down to the fact that hayne plays about five games a year, and the fact that kearney looks like he doesn't know where he is when he's in the coaches box.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Yeah. I think Danny Weidler got himself nowhere giving that story oxygen. From what I undrstand, these blokes aren't connected with the club any longer. But that's Parra. They're never short of people diagnosing what's gone wrong over the past 25 years.

Channel Nein is asking Minister Conroy for permission to show NRL on GEM. For once they are being proactive about their coverage.
yob wrote:
Jeffles wrote:how good is it to see Wests Tigers fans disappointed?
Heaven, basically.
It is. My local pub if full of WT fans whenever they play. Always good to see them put the boot into their own after a loss.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Cooper Cronk press conference tomorrow. He's expected to leave Melbourne for GC Titans for $3.2m over 4 years, which would make him one of the highest paid in the game. Apparently the best Storm could do was $2.2m.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/s ... 6312540044

Melbourne captain Cameron Smith has counselled agains the move saying "...if he’s going to a place where they are under the pump financially and was to fall over, it would just be a really bad decision,”

Two things to love about this quote. Not only is he the Storm captain, but he's also Captain Obvious. Second, that quote about a club under the pump was brought to you by a Melbourne player. The ironing is delicious

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

He just needed an offer for Cronulla to get the trifecta

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Fans of the GC Titans drama should be directed to the greatest Rugby League show on earth, and their twitter account.

twitter.com/fireuponfbi

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

He stays with Melbourne. Very good press conference. He's quite articulate.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Unfortunately, the company in question has taken the whole Canberra raiding thing a bit too literally in other arenas
Raiders sponsor in new territory

Lee Gaskin

The Canberra Raiders are $1.7 million richer, but their new sponsor insists the lucrative deal didn't come at the expense of the ACT Brumbies.

Huawei Australia chairman John Lord today denied the Chinese technology giant was close to becoming the major sponsor of the ACT Brumbies before penning the Raiders deal.

Huawei has an option to extend the deal until the end of 2015 in an announcement made on the lawns outside Parliament House this morning.

Advertisement: Story continues below The Raiders played the first four rounds of the NRL season without a major sponsor, and modelled the new jersey with the Huawei logo they will wear against the North Queensland Cowboys at Canberra Stadium on Monday night.

Huawei was in discussions with several Australian sporting clubs, including the Brumbies and the Raiders, before finally settling on the Raiders at the start of this month.

Huawei pulled out of talks with the Brumbies just before Christmas, with the Super Rugby club securing the University of Canberra as its major sponsor before the start of the season.

‘‘We were not close to signing a deal (with the Brumbies),’’ Lord said.

‘‘As you can imagine a company of this size that has never done it before, it was a long process.

‘‘It’s taken us a long time to work through.

‘‘We’ve gone through a very intensive process, looked at the options and it’s very exciting to join this iconic rugby league team, the Canberra Raiders.’’

Huawei is the world’s second-largest producer of telecommunications products with ambitions to take top spot by the end of the year.

It has 140,000 employees world-wide with 800 of those in Australia.

Lord believes the Raiders are the perfect fit for the company’s first foray into sports sponsorship.

‘‘We wanted to get branding, get our name known among Australians and in households, and what better way than a sports team,’’ he said.

‘‘The process we went through over the last six to eight months, the Raiders have been very active in giving us a good proposal.

‘‘A little bit late into the season, but this is our first ever sponsorship worldwide so we wanted to make sure we got it right.’’

Huawei has been blocked by the Australian Federal Government from tendering for business involved with the National Broadband Network, allegedly following warnings from ASIO.

Asked if ASIO would have any reservations about the sponsorship deal, Lord replied, ‘‘I hope they’re strong supporters of the Canberra Raiders like us, it’s probably the one thing we agree on.’’

Raiders chief executive Don Furner said on-field performance would be crucial in dictating whether Huawei extended its naming-rights deal.

‘‘If we don’t perform in those two years they are free to go, but we are hoping that they extend it long-term,’’ Furner said.

‘‘I think we’ll be successful, we’ll do our best to support them and they’re brand and do our best to make them a household name.

‘‘We’re very happy to have a company of Huawei’s size on board and it’s a vote of confidence in Canberra as a city.’’
Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z1qZDMoskA

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Maybe ASIO will pick up a few season tickets.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Simmo79 wrote: Asked if ASIO would have any reservations about the sponsorship deal, Lord replied, ‘‘I hope they’re strong supporters of the Canberra Raiders like us, it’s probably the one thing we agree on.’’
if they're based in canberra they're probably gws fans.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

So what do we think of the NRL's Greater Eastern Melbourne project? I don't think they'll be ready for 2015

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:So what do we think of the NRL's Greater Eastern Melbourne project? I don't think they'll be ready for 2015
It'll be the death of aussie rules in South Africa and Denmark...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I'm torn about yesterday's result. On one hand WT lost. On the other hand, Souths won.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Parra is only 2 points outside the 8

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Jeffles wrote:I'm torn about yesterday's result. On one hand WT lost. On the other hand, Souths won.
Like!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Penrith's in the 8 on pouints difference. They have the amusing record after five rounds of two wins (both away) and three losses (all at home). I'm sure their ticketed members are feeling ripped off right now.

The SMH reports WT might renew their interest in Willie mason now that Gareth Ellis is out for up to three months. They're not that stupid, are they?