Greater Western Sydney Giants

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
add0001
Bronze

Greater Western Sydney Giants

Post by add0001 »

only 1/2 a year until the new AFL club greater western sydney giants make there AFL (Regular season) debut.

nobleoz
Gold

Re: Greater Western Sydney Giants

Post by nobleoz »

The excitement is lost on most people :cry:

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

add0001 wrote:only 1/2 a year until the new AFL club greater western sydney giants make there AFL (Regular season) debut.
Actually, they make THEIR AFL debut.

I've enjoyed the addition of the Suns to the AFL this year - hopefully the Giants will be just as enjoyable next year.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

When I was 20 I would have jumped at the opportunity to live in the GWS players accom at Breakfast Point. But there wasn't the money Scully is going to get, & I wasn't more than an average footballer!

Amaru
Bronze

Post by Amaru »

If the GWS recruit right they could be a force in a few years to come. First thing they need to do is piss Sheedy off he is a clown these days and way past it. Chocco will do the serious coaching but even as the public face of GWS, Sheedy is a joke.

It will be interesting to see how the GWS impacts on the Sydney sporting landscape and whether it can eventually stand on its own two feet. I would anticipate they would probably have a season similar to the GCS in terms of attendances. Winning games straight away won't be the biggest priority, building a team from scratch and shaping it for future success will be. Having said that, they will still need to win some games to keep their fans interested and get some momentum going. Problem is, I just can't see where they will get their wins from. I expect GCS to have the better of them next year and I think Port Adelaide will show some improvement from this year with the likes of Butcher and Trengrove and the investment in getting some decent assistant coaches. 

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

They won't get the same crowds as the Suns, at least not late in the year when it's likely that they'll be playing a few dead rubbers. Probably get more people to their first game and the derby though, so their average might be 20k or so if they're lucky and Folau starts kicking a few goals. I reckon an average crowd of 15k or so would be considered successful, but i'd expect some sub 10k crowds at times.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

They're Melbourne Heart with a shitload more money to spend but shitload more costs to cover.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Signing of McDonald is interesting. Trying to remember if any other new club signed an ex-captain......Brisbane Bears?

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

nobleoz wrote:Signing of McDonald is interesting. Trying to remember if any other new club signed an ex-captain......Brisbane Bears?
That was Brad Hardie from the Bulldogs wasn't it?

And do the Swans count as a new club? If so, then Paul Roos moving from Fitzroy would qualify.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

No, Bob, I was only counting up the start-up clubs. Bears, Crows, WCE, Freo, GC & GWS

add0001
Bronze

Post by add0001 »

Boba Fett wrote:
add0001 wrote:only 1/2 a year until the new AFL club greater western sydney giants make there AFL (Regular season) debut.
Actually, they make THEIR AFL debut.

I've enjoyed the addition of the Suns to the AFL this year - hopefully the Giants will be just as enjoyable next year.

They will actually be making AFL regular season debut as they played NAB cup this year.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

nice save

add0001
Bronze

Post by add0001 »

well get your f*cking chops on and discuss they will be playing soon with a qauility line up.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

We could just take the piss instead. They're going to be both sh*t and lonely. The Greater Western Sydney Nigels.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

In 5 years their crowds/membership will be bigger than local NRL clubs. Actually, might exceed them this year :lol: