Greater Western Sydney Giants

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

Re: Greater Western Sydney Giants

Post by Jeffles »

I think the AFL will be able to withstand the pressure from other clubs as long as the subsidy does not stop the funds increasing in dollar terms and as long as the team is not successful on the field. if either of those things change, the heat will be on. No doubt the AFL will want on field results and I suspect they will get them given how certain markets and rules are skewed to their favour. The off field will follow, even if that doesn't mean they get in the black. The AFL would consider it a success if their subsidy is reduced.

Just on this assistance to expansion clubs, ARLC boss John Grant said a couple of weeks ago there is a case for special assistance to Melbourne Storm.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Jeffles wrote: Anyway, the ratio of memberships is encouraging for them
From the report, the number of members (6k) is about half the foundation membership number (12k)

The proportion of 'GWS' residents is now 38% (2304) of membership - the proportion of Foundation Members was 25% (about 3,000)

It looks like most of the Canberra residents didn't decide to take up real membership while the numbers in Sydney have stayed about the same - thus improving the ratio of Sydney to non-Sydney members

Still 'Western Sydney ratio of members improves' is a better story than 'Canberra members drop out'

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Simmo79 wrote: No organisation anywhere in any context gives a blank cheque for an indefinite period to any project.
I think we can safely assume that.
Simmo79 wrote:There would have to be confidential benchmarks they need to achieve for continued funding.
I think we can safely assume that the AFL have a plan mapped out
and there would be a bottom line involved.
Considering the main expense (stadia) is out of the way and the major income (TV) is coming in then the running costs of a club aren't such a deficeit as they might seem.
Hence you'll see support for teams like the Storm.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

bazza wrote:
Jeffles wrote: Anyway, the ratio of memberships is encouraging for them
From the report, the number of members (6k) is about half the foundation membership number (12k)

The proportion of 'GWS' residents is now 38% (2304) of membership - the proportion of Foundation Members was 25% (about 3,000)

It looks like most of the Canberra residents didn't decide to take up real membership while the numbers in Sydney have stayed about the same - thus improving the ratio of Sydney to non-Sydney members

Still 'Western Sydney ratio of members improves' is a better story than 'Canberra members drop out'
Yeah, that's probably a fair call. But i'd be inclined to look at the figures in about round 5 or 6 before passing any judgement. They've still got a lot of selling time in both Sydney and Canberra.

After watching them on the weekend, the wildcard in all of this is Folau. For a bloke that still hasn't played a single AFL game yet, he was damned impressive. And if he does what he does well, it's going to put bums on seats. Good full forwards do. TBH, I didn't expect him to take marks like that until halfway through the season at least.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Rob wrote:For a bloke that still hasn't played a single AFL game yet, he was damned impressive. And if he does what he does well, it's going to put bums on seats. Good full forwards do. TBH, I didn't expect him to take marks like that until halfway through the season at least.
skills like catching a football are required to be used regularly in rugby league

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

A good mark can definitely briong bums on seats. I remember the Capper effect in Sydney, Mark II. When he came to Sydney for the second time in 1991, the news highlights would be full of him taking screamers. Never mind the team regularly lost lost of he had a wobbly shot. The marks were news. The Swans increased their crowds by around 2000 per game even though they only went up two spots on the ladder. From what I remember at the time, he had a big impact. When he left in 1992, crowds went back down. If Israel can do the same, he will draw a crowd - even though he is immensely unpopular in Sydney for deserting NSW for Qld in RL.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Jeffles wrote:A good mark can definitely briong bums on seats. I remember the Capper effect in Sydney, Mark II. When he came to Sydney for the second time in 1991, the news highlights would be full of him taking screamers. Never mind the team regularly lost lost of he had a wobbly shot. The marks were news. The Swans increased their crowds by around 2000 per game even though they only went up two spots on the ladder. From what I remember at the time, he had a big impact. When he left in 1992, crowds went back down. If Israel can do the same, he will draw a crowd - even though he is immensely unpopular in Sydney for deserting NSW for Qld in RL.
It's not restricted to a good mark.
All sports need their characters. Mark "wacko" Jackson drew an extra 5k regularly where ever he played. With the ever increasinging professionalism in sports this element this element is often lacking.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Izzy definitely has the larger than life personality that draws big crowds

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I see that they are hoping for a record attendance on Mar 24 for the 1st game of a new club. Highest is Adelaide Crows at 44,000

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Simmo79 wrote:Izzy definitely has the larger than life personality that draws big crowds
I wonder how many heads this went over.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I'm just being a dick. Luckily he's always played hard for Sydney and NSW so he has the local hero angle locked down already

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Jeffles wrote:
Simmo79 wrote:Izzy definitely has the larger than life personality that draws big crowds
I wonder how many heads this went over.
I actually become quite terrified watching the guy. He's a black hole of emotion.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

bazza wrote:
Rob wrote:For a bloke that still hasn't played a single AFL game yet, he was damned impressive. And if he does what he does well, it's going to put bums on seats. Good full forwards do. TBH, I didn't expect him to take marks like that until halfway through the season at least.
skills like catching a football are required to be used regularly in rugby league
LOL, not out in front with some gorilla on your tail trying to punch it away. I saw Slater's effort in the wet last weekend, and whilst I don't want to take anything away from him, have a look at what the Canberra players were doing in the contest. They looked like a couple of retards. One was merely ballast and the other was trying to take the ball on his chest.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

How many Swans supporters will go to games to watch a game of Aussie Rules?

Will they be prepared to go to Homebush?

2,300 is a relatively low base level of support...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

^ Yes, but it's half of what the Swans had after ten years in Sydney and GWS haven't kicked a ball in anger.

Speaking of memberships, in my fantasy world, there would be a measurement in all codes about the substance of each, the same way job numbers are sometimes referred to as "full time equivalent". I.e. One 12 game membership = 2 x 6 game memberships = 1 unit of full season equivalent.