SANFL 2011 and Leagues Championship Cup

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Re: SANFL 2011 and Leagues Championship Cup

Post by yob »

Tuned in to the live coverage on Life FM and they're speaking some weird language I don't understand. Something like "what do the doggies need to do to get back in to the contest?"

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Crowd 25,234.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

WWT wins by 3 points, Centrals kicks a behind with the last kick of the game.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

WWT dominated the first 3 quarters of the game and Centrals to their great credit came from 24 points down at 3/4 time to lost by just 3 points in the end. The Eagles just stopped dead in the final term and the Bulldogs outscored them 4.4 to 1.1. Central's Lee Spurr kicked out of a pack and luckily for WWT it only just missed to the left at 27:49 of the last, the siren sounded about 15 seconds later so if Spurr had goaled, Centrals would have won and equaled the great Sturt side who won 5 SANFL premierships in a row (1966-70).

Did anyone hear Craig Parry's Jack Oatey Medal acceptance speech? I don't think went down well when he said into the microphone something about a "phucking good time" coming up that night as it was shown live on ABC1, but the crowd and Eagles players loved it hehehe. Within about 2 seconds of Parry's f-word the ABC changed camera's away from him and tried to cover for it lol.

Yet ANOTHER disappointing Bulldogs vs Eagles Grand Final Crowd at Footy Park. Only 25,234 showed up today (including my Eagles supporting brother his 2 sons...). They have now met in 6 Grand Finals since 2000 with a total attendance of just 164,405 and an average of 27,400 (53% of capacity.....damn you for putting that stat in my head Cam :lol: :twisted: )

Since 2000, SANFL Grand Final Crowds have been
2000 CD vs WWT - 34,819
2001 CD vs WWT - 26,378
2002 CD vs S - 35,187
2003 CD vs WA - 28,199
2004 CD vs WWT - 24,207
2005 CD vs WWT - 28,637
2006 CD vs WWT - 25,130
2007 CD vs NA - 30,478
2008 CD vs G - 34,128
2009 CD vs S - 35,647
2010 CD vs N - 34,355
2011 CD vs WWT - 25,234

I know Centrals supporters rarely show their faces at games other than the GF but where are the Eagles supporters? The 2003 crowd is easily explained, West Adelaide have never had the biggest support base. In fact for supporters we're probably ranked 7th in front of the Eagles and South Adelaide. But other than their 2000 clash, every CD vs WWT Grand Final has failed to draw over 29,000 fans yet when the Dogs played North, Glenelg and Norwood they attracted over 30,000 and both games against Sturt have drawn over 35,000. In terms of GF crowds it makes me yearn for the days of Port vs Sturt or Norwood when a crowd of 50,000 was expected, not just dreamed of.

Significantly in the 12 years of Dog Domination, they have not played Port Adelaide in a Grand Final. When Port defeated Centrals in the 1995 and '96 GF's they drew 45,786 and 46,120 respectively (back when Footy Park's capacity was around 46,000). Kinda shows who has the biggest following among the SANFL clubs doesn't it.....

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Lets face it... the AFL has taken the shine away from our competition.

And as for Centrals supporters rarely showing their faces other than the GF, that goes for all the clubs really. Several thousands of people go missing during the regular season, probably because they're at AAMI Stadium instead of roughing it with those that still appreciate the State League game.

Last of all, many fellow Dogs fans I've spoken to said they'd rather have lost it to the Eagles than anybody else.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

U REDS wrote:Last of all, many fellow Dogs fans I've spoken to said they'd rather have lost it to the Eagles than anybody else.
WWT was a good choice but hey I'm easy.

Amaru
Bronze

Post by Amaru »

Let's be brutally honest about the poor SANFL crowds hey. Some of it has to do with the AFL now containing two AFL clubs. The other part has to do with one of those clubs being the PAFC. It has nothing to do with Centrals, or West Adelaide, or WWT. I'm no fan of Port Adelaide, but be true to yourselves, they were the powerhouse club of the SANFL when they were serious about the SANFL. They dominated at a time when the SANFL was a half decent competition, unlike Centrals who now dominate after the horse bolted long ago. I know Port struggle to get crowds in the AFL, but take them out of the AFL and put them back in the SANFL, where it is the PAFC, not the PAMFC, where they are based at Alberton and play their home games at Alberton, and there is no Power team to follow, and you watch the crowds come back. Not only Port crowds, but Norwood, Glenelg, Sturt and Centrals' crowds. Because suddenly, Port v Norwood, Port v Glenelg, Port v Sturt and Port v Centrals would take on a whole new meaning. It would reinvigotrate a whole lot of other club fan bases because suddenly a whole lot more Norwood and Glenelg etc fans would be interested again because the real Port Adelaide would be back. I know they had the one club merger with the Power and the Magpies, but there is still two teams, which causes some fans to follow only one club and other fans to follow only the other club, ie, there is still a perception out there that they are separate clubs.

Sorry to say Centrals' fans, but as dominant as you have been since 2000, you will never capture the aura that Port Adelaide had in the SANFL when it was the powerhouse club of the SANFL. The SANFL is a shadow of its former self. Like I said in an earlier post above, I used to see footage of the 50s and 60s' grand finals where the crowds would spill over on to the field. To get 25k to the grand final this year just shows how much interest has been lost in the SANFL by SA fans. Put the real PAFC back in, and that interest would grow very quickly again. Maybe Port has to realise that it was a strong SANFL club, not an AFL club. If things get much worse for them in the AFL, it may have to go back to being an SANFL club only. This wouldn't please the Port fans too much I suspect, because obviously they prefer to have their club in the AFL, but they need to be realistic, if their crowds keep dropping and their debt keeps growing, maybe they will have no choice. This wouldn't please the Centrals' fans too much either I suspect becasuse suddenly their actual and perceived status as the SANFL powerhouse club would be under serious immediate threat, and with all PAFC resources being applied to dominating the SANFL again, I can't see it taking too long before the PAFC start winning SANFL premierships again.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Looks like Glenelg night games are going ahead. They'd sell the venue out easily at least once IMO.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6223138328