SANFL 2011 and Leagues Championship Cup

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Soaks
Bronze

Re: SANFL 2011 and Leagues Championship Cup

Post by Soaks »

Rob wrote:
Soaks wrote:
Rob wrote:Perhaps the consensus in Adelaide.....

Although despite the result, i'd still well and truly lean towards the VFL as being the strongest league. Take all AFL players out and they'd probably be the strongest, then add 10 AFL clubs' reserves players and its going to improve the standard considerably. Williamstown have flogged both WAFL and SANFL opposition away from home, and when you look at their lineup, it's no surprise.
Maybe at a representative level but at club level I don't think there is much between the three leagues.

I think Williamstown and Claremont,on Foxtel Cup results,deserve to be favorites.A SANFL club has only been tested once when Williamstown beat West Adelaide.(but I wouldn't call 3 goals a flogging)
Only because you probably didn't watch the game.

Got me there.Didn't watch the whole game.Channel surfed and only caught bits and pieces.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Agree that Williamstown and Claremont are favourites. Some of the games recently have been a fairly high standard. You can watch highlight packages and full match replays here: www.afl.com.au/foxtelcup

Will be interesting to see what sort of crowd they get this Saturday at Adelaide Oval for Port Adelaide v North Adelaide. The 2 quarter finals have been confirmed for Etihad Stadium and Patersons Stadium - both stand-alone games with no AFL curtain raiser.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I'd be all over this if I was in Adelaide.

I'm really hoping Foxtel and the state leagues stick this out, perhaps expand it in to a fa cup style comp involving all state league teams. It could really be something.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Swan Districts have really been quite average at WAFL level this season though Rob, so not an accurate representation. Another side the Royals have been woeful yet have managed to get to the Semi Finals of the Foxtel Cup.

Needs to be two divisions though, the real interest is still in the latter ends of the competition when the three strongest leagues are left to play each other...

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

SANFL news says that the winner of Port and North Adelaide will play Claremont at Subiaco on the 16th of July.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Soaks wrote:SANFL news says that the winner of Port and North Adelaide will play Claremont at Subiaco on the 16th of July.
Not surprised they have moved a Claremont game back to Perth...

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

SANFL footy is alive and well - contrast the doom & gloom articles written by Mike Rucci in this weeks 'tiser regarding both the Crows and Ports off field worries.
An update on Norwood from the horses mouth so to speak:
The Redlegs take on the Panthers this Saturday at Coopers Stadium from 2.10pm.

Be sure to get along and see the boys this week and keep the momentum going that we currently have on and off the field.

In 2011 the Norwood Football Club is enjoying its highest level of member and sponsor support in twenty years. Not since the Crows first played in 1991, have the Norwood faithful been so enthusiastically behind the Redlegs!

So far in 2011, 3527 members have joined the Club, a 60% increase on last season. This membership total is the highest recorded since the early 90's.

After 10 games, 54,482 people have seen Norwood in action and the average home match attendance in 2011 is 5,783, which leads the league, and is up 40% on last year. 23,131 fans have piled into Coopers Stadium already this season, making it far and away the best supported home venue in the SANFL.

400 past players have become financial members of the Club - up from just 64 last year, and 15 new sponsors have joined the Club.

The Norwood Football Club has always enjoyed the passionate support of some of the most loyal fans in the SANFL, and in 2011 they are out in force!!

And there is plenty to come! Starting this Saturday at Coopers Stadium. See you there.

Dominic Shepley

Chief Executive Officer

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:The Norwood Football Club has always enjoyed the passionate support of some of the most loyal fans in the SANFL, and in 2011 they are out in force!!
:wank:

Westies have loyal supporters. When they're bottom of the ladder 1,500 show. When they're top, 1,500.

Norwood is a 3,000 supporter club with a rent a crowd. Have you ever given directions to a Norwood supporter to find the Parade? I sure have!

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

Claremont v Port Adelaide @ Subi oval 16th july

Last (and only) time these two teams met was in 1971 with Claremont taking the chocolates 10.6.66 to 3.5.23

Tough hoodoo to break.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Crowd number at Unley added.

Crowd total for Round 11 -- 15,902

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

yob wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:The Norwood Football Club has always enjoyed the passionate support of some of the most loyal fans in the SANFL, and in 2011 they are out in force!!

Westies have loyal supporters. When they're bottom of the ladder 1,500 show. When they're top, 1,500.

Norwood is a 3,000 supporter club with a rent a crowd. Have you ever given directions to a Norwood supporter to find the Parade? I sure have!
every team in every sport around the world has some bandwagon element. What no person can pick at is that over 3,500 fans have become financial members of a (yank - lingo) minor league team rather than follow the brighter lights of the AFL

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
yob wrote:

every team in every sport around the world has some bandwagon element. What no person can pick at is that over 3,500 fans have become financial members of a (yank - lingo) minor league team rather than follow the brighter lights of the AFL
I dunno. I lived in Adelaide for 25 years and I find picking at Norwood quite easy.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

What I find interesting is that despite it being one of the high-economic clubs in Adelaide, it has a lot of support.

But from a few oral interviews I did, it never used to be like that.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:What I find interesting is that despite it being one of the high-economic clubs in Adelaide, it has a lot of support.

But from a few oral interviews I did, it never used to be like that.
Norwood was a better off than most working class suburb that cashed in on their appreciating houses and moved North East. The club draws bugger all of its support from the Norwood area. Your average Norwood resident finds the concept of football quite repugnant.

Even when I was a kid going to primary school there 20 years ago it was a different place.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Round 12

SATURDAY
Sturt 16.10 (106)
West Adelaide 7.6 (48)
2,287 @ Commander Centre Oval, Unley

Norwood 22.12 (144)
South Adelaide 10.8 (68)
3,026 @ Coopers Stadium, Norwood

Central District 22.11 (143)
Glenelg 6.14 (50)
2,550 @ Playford Alive Oval, Elizabeth

Crowd total for Round 12 -- 7,863

So far this is the only time of the year the aggregate figure has dropped below 10,000... but there were only three games on.