SANFL 2011 and Leagues Championship Cup

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Re: SANFL 2011 and Leagues Championship Cup

Post by yob »

Westies are playing Williamstown in the QF of the Sponsor Name Cup this week end. SANFL's 6th V VFL's 3rd, this should be an interesting measure of the leagues. If a lowly SANFL team beats a top ranked VFL team it proves the SANFL is a superior comp, and if the VFL team wins it proves nothing.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

yob wrote:Westies are playing Williamstown in the QF of the Sponsor Name Cup this week end. SANFL's 6th V VFL's 3rd, this should be an interesting measure of the leagues. If a lowly SANFL team beats a top ranked VFL team it proves the SANFL is a superior comp, and if the VFL team wins it proves nothing.
:lol:

East Perth only beat the Thunder by one goal.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:
yob wrote:Westies are playing Williamstown in the QF of the Sponsor Name Cup this week end. SANFL's 6th V VFL's 3rd, this should be an interesting measure of the leagues. If a lowly SANFL team beats a top ranked VFL team it proves the SANFL is a superior comp, and if the VFL team wins it proves nothing.
:lol:

East Perth only beat the Thunder by one goal.
I've decided from now on I'll only accept the name Real Blunder.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

NT Thunder (Real Blunder) are in great form atm, they are sitting on top of the NEAFL Northern Ladder and haven't lost a game. Some ex AFL players no doubt helping their cause. Also with all of them coming straight in from playing the summer season helps as well.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

SATURDAY
Norwood 7.12 (54)
Central District 7.11 (53)
4,655 @ Coopers Stadium, Norwood

North Adelaide 16.8 (104)
Woodville-West Torrens 13.12 (90)
2,347 @ Unleash Solar Oval, Woodville

South Adelaide 16.6 (102)
Glenelg 16.6 (102)
2,526 @ Hickinbotham Oval, Noarlunga

SUNDAY
Port Adelaide 14.5 (89)
Sturt 6.15 (51)
3,154 @ AAMI Stadium

Crowd total for Round 10 -- 12,682
Last edited by U REDS on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Crowd number for Port vs. Sturt match taken from Round 11 SANFL Budget.

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

U REDS wrote:Crowd number for Port vs. Sturt match taken from Round 11 SANFL Budget.
That was a curtain raiser ?

Thats like saying 500 watched the Magoos cause 2500 turn up to the League game.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

That figure was probably taken at the end of the third quarter.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Time to give Claremont some credit for flogging the Bullants in the Foxtel cup on the weekend.

Looks like the SANFL might even be the 3rd best state league in the country.*

*insert comment about how their best teams squibbed it, so it's no real measure of anything

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:Time to give Claremont some credit for flogging the Bullants in the Foxtel cup on the weekend.

*insert comment about how their best teams squibbed it, so it's no real measure of anything
Proves VFL isn't the best.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

yob wrote:
Rob wrote:Time to give Claremont some credit for flogging the Bullants in the Foxtel cup on the weekend.

Proves VFL isn't the best.
have they ever tried to claim this? I thought it was widely touted that the AFL is/was best, then daylight, then concensus choice SANFL. Mind you I live in Adelaide and support an SANFL club so my understanding of the situation has probably been shaped by the local rag;)

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Perhaps the consensus in Adelaide.....

Although despite the result, i'd still well and truly lean towards the VFL as being the strongest league. Take all AFL players out and they'd probably be the strongest, then add 10 AFL clubs' reserves players and its going to improve the standard considerably. Williamstown have flogged both WAFL and SANFL opposition away from home, and when you look at their lineup, it's no surprise.

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

Rob wrote:Perhaps the consensus in Adelaide.....

Although despite the result, i'd still well and truly lean towards the VFL as being the strongest league. Take all AFL players out and they'd probably be the strongest, then add 10 AFL clubs' reserves players and its going to improve the standard considerably. Williamstown have flogged both WAFL and SANFL opposition away from home, and when you look at their lineup, it's no surprise.
Maybe at a representative level but at club level I don't think there is much between the three leagues.

I think Williamstown and Claremont,on Foxtel Cup results,deserve to be favorites.A SANFL club has only been tested once when Williamstown beat West Adelaide.(but I wouldn't call 3 goals a flogging)

Also,East Perth(who have been shite in the WAFL) beat North Ballarat who in turn beat Williamstown in the VFL last week.Lucky two SANFL clubs play each other next.Guaranteed at least one club in the semi finals.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Round 11

SATURDAY
Central District 14.8 (92)
Port Adelaide 10.7 (67)
3,479 @ Playford Alive Oval, Elizabeth

SUNDAY
Woodville-West Torrens 10.14 (74)
Sturt 10.8 (68)
2,866 @ Commander Centre Oval, Unley

West Adelaide 14.16 (100)
North Adelaide 10.7 (67)
2,794 @ Prospect Oval

MONDAY
Norwood 15.10 (100)
Glenelg 13.8 (86)
6,763 @ Gliderol Stadium, Glenelg
Last edited by U REDS on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Soaks wrote:
Rob wrote:Perhaps the consensus in Adelaide.....

Maybe at a representative level but at club level I don't think there is much between the three leagues.

I think Williamstown and Claremont,on Foxtel Cup results,deserve to be favorites.A SANFL club has only been tested once when Williamstown beat West Adelaide.(but I wouldn't call 3 goals a flogging)
Only because you probably didn't watch the game. It was all over halfway through the 2nd quarter, Williamstown were killing them. It was only because West Adelaide kicked something like the last 6 goals of the game in junk time that it looked a lot closer than what it actually was.

Although poor Claremont look like they're going to have to travel again in the semis. And then if they win, the final is scheduled for Etihad. They're going to end up doing more travel in the Foxtel Cup alone than most Victorian sides do in an entire AFL season. Couldn't blame them if they got rolled in the semi, it's not like they'd be accustomed to travelling.