super 12

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
the guy
Silver

super 12

Post by the guy »

i reckon they should try to play super 12 warm up games outside of NSW, ACT, and QLD. If the ARU are serious about expansion, they should give fans in other cities the chance to watch a quality game more than once a year.
any thoughts?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

About 4 or 5 years ago ACT Brumbies and the Wellington Hurricanes played a scratch match at Subiaco Oval I think they got around 20,000 there wouldnt be sure. They havent been back though.

I do agree on it. The fan base in QLD, NSW and ACT has been found. The biggest benefit would be to Melbourne due to the lower Rugby playing population. Perth has double the amount of players then Melbourne. I think scratch matches would give Melbourne the biggest benefits.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

The trials present an opportunity for the state rugby unions to take the game to regional centres. The Waratahs played the Waikato Chiefs in Newcastle on Friday night and I think Queensland have played at Carrara in the past. The QRU should take the game to Townsville as well, if they haven't already.

I imagine the biggest hurdle to playing in say, Melbourne, is the cost of hiring a venue and the inconvenience of making other arrangements; it's only a trial game after all.

In terms of taking the game to new markets more often, the best bet would be to have touring sides stick around a bit longer and play tour matches in Perth, Melbourne, Newcastle, Adelaide etc. It seems the days when a touring side played umpteen tour matches and a Test series are long gone. Today, teams fly in, play a Test or two and then bugger off!

The 2001 British Lions tour took in Perth, Townsville, Brisbane, Gosford, Sydney, Coffs Harbour, Canberra and Melbourne. Now to my mind seeing a quality outfit like the Lions is far better than a hit out between two Super 12 sides, whose only intention is to blow out the cobwebs!

Besides, soon hopefully Melbourne or Perth rugby fans will have their own Super 15 side to support!

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

Besides, soon hopefully Melbourne or Perth rugby fans will have their own Super 15 side to support
hopefully, but if it happens it will take at least 2 years, that is only 2 wallaby tests, i need some quality union to watch, TV just isnt the same

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

You won't see many s12 games outsideof the home venues. There isn't enough of them to go around.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

NSW played a trial in Newcaslte last weekend. They only got 13,000.

We Aussies are pretty territorial. I'm not sure that States moving matches outside states would do well (unless it was a national institution like State of Origin).

The RU people should stick to their current plan of playing Tests all ovr the joint. It's worked well for them thus far.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Jeffles wrote:NSW played a trial in Newcaslte last weekend. They only got 13,000.
Only 13,000??? :roll:

Rugby in January, and a trial game at that. I reckon 13,000 isn't that bad!

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

A few points:

It's February, not January

The Knights average over 20 000

A trial Game at Forster (Wests Tigers v Widnes) drew 8000, over half of their population. On the same weekend.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

James.

I don't think it is that good a crowd. It was the first Waratahs match in Newcastle for a while.

The Warriors got 20,000 to a trial against the Dragons tonight in Hamilton. And that's for a midweek trial. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! :lol:

guy41
Bronze

sevens

Post by guy41 »

Has anybody else noticed how bad the wallabies are going in this years IRB sevens? We lost to Kenya, scraped past USA and then lost to Argentina to finish 10th in the NZ leg, without making any serious ground in the Dubai and South African tournaments. Serious rethink is needed.

r3d_c01n
Bronze

Post by r3d_c01n »

The Super12 is going to rot for another 3 years. Then on the 4th year, which the Rugby world cup is going to be on, they will improve the league again. I mean channel 7 doesn't even give a *** about Union anymore, they are not going to show it anymore until the year the world cup returns.

Other than that enjoy the 3 years of Rugby League without any scum distractions :D

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

Other than that enjoy the 3 years of Rugby League without any scum distractions
Its impossible to enjoy any amount of league, so three years is hell