RIP David Hookes

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

RIP David Hookes

Post by Jeffles »

An absolute tragedy. To the overseas visitors of the forum, I post the following article.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/ ... 85418.html

Cricket star Hookes is dead
January 19, 2004

Tragic end ... David Hookes.

Former Test cricketer David Hookes died tonight, his brother Terry Cranagh told journalists this evening.

Hookes' brother Cranagh told journalists the 48-year-old died in the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne from injuries sustained after being bashed outside a Melbourne hotel last night.

Hookes and his Victorian teammates had been having celebratory drinks at the Beaconsfield Hotel in inner-suburban St Kilda after winning an ING Cup game against South Australia.

A hotel bouncer was charged with assault over the attack, and has been released on bail after appearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court today.

Mr Cranagh told journalists he and his family wanted to thank paramedics, bystanders and Alfred hospital staff who attempted to help his brother.

"We'd also like to thank community members who expressed their support at this difficult time," he said.

Mr Cranagh said the Hookes family was grateful to Cricket Australia and Cricket Victoria for their support.

He said the family's thoughts were with Hookes' past and present team-mates.

"We trust the police will conduct a full investigation into the cause of the incident and that the justice process will provide us with some insight into what occurred," he said.

Prime Minister John Howard tonight mourned the death of David Hookes, saying he was an accomplished cricketer and immensely likeable person.

Mr Howard said in a statement: "The tragic death of David Hookes, in such violent circumstances, will sadden not only cricket fans but all Australians.

"He was an exciting and accomplished test cricketer, a talented broadcaster and an immensely likeable person.

"His ability and enthusiasm gave inspiration and encouragement to many young cricketers. To his wife and family I extend my deepest sympathy. There are many of their fellow Australians who will be thinking of them tonight."

Tributes and expressions of sympathy flowed for Hookes and his family as a man arrested over the incident faced Melbourne Magistrates Court.

Witnesses' accounts of the incident vary somewhat, but about 11.45pm (AEDT) as his group was leaving, Hookes was punched and he fell heavily.

Paramedics worked hard to revive Hookes while police took Zdravco Micevic in for questioning.

Early today, pub bouncer Micevic, 21, of Ruth Street, St Albans, Melbourne was charged with one count of common law assault and he appeared before Melbourne Magistrates Court.

Magistrate Peter Couzens remanded the case until April 13.

The police voiced no opposition to Micevic being freed on bail and he was released on the condition he report to Keilor Downs Police Station three times a week, continue to live at his current address, surrender his passport and accept no work as a crowd controller or visit any licensed premises.

St Kilda resident Roman Longer said a scuffle between several people broke out just moments before Hookes was punched unconscious near the pub.

Mr Longer said he saw a group of people pushing and shoving metres away from his Cowderoy Street home about 11.30pm (AEDT).

"There was a scuffle that occurred between five or six people," he said.

Mr Longer said he went to call police and then saw a man lying on the road surrounded by people.

"The group moved to the other side of the street and I looked up and all of a sudden there was someone on the ground," he said.

"People started doing CPR on him, they continued to do that for more than half an hour."

Mr Longer said residents had been concerned for some time about the noise from the pub and the large crowds it attracted on Sunday nights.

Acting prime minister John Anderson said the incident was a shock and extended the nation's sympathy to Hookes and his family.

"I know I would speak for all Australians when I extend that sympathy to them," Mr Anderson told reporters.

Victorian cricket officials and players also offered their support.

Victorian Cricket Association executive director Ken Jacobs said he had visited Hookes in hospital.

"We are obviously thinking of David and his family, certainly our thoughts are with them and we'll do anything we can to support them," he said.

He declined to comment further due to the police investigation.

Earlier Cricket Australia chief executive officer James Sutherland spoke of the sports body's shock.

"Cricket Australia was shocked to learn of the incident involving David Hookes this morning," he said in a prepared statement.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time."

-----------------------

Jeffles Tribute. An icon of Australian cricket. Will be immortalised in cricketing circles for the caning he gave to Tony Greig in Hookes' Test debut, the Centenary Test of 1977 at the MCG. Greig sledged the young South Australian, widely shouting that "his balls hadn't dropped yet." Hookes replied with a famous lashing in one over. He hit Greig for 5 consecutive fours.

I have two personal memories of David Hookes. He was the first ever cricket card I ever had from the old Scanelan packets. I didn't know him before but I always remembered those red and white cards when his name was raised thereafter. I also remember him as the bloke who called Shane Warne's alleged South African text partner a, "dopey hairy backed shiela." MAGNIFICENT!

Goodbye Mr Hookes.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I'm still in absolute shock. A massive loss to the game, and it's just so hard to accept the fact he's gone.

He was doing a great job as coach of the Vic Bushrangers, has topped the ratings with his afternoon radio show for the last 10 years, and of course the host of Inside Cricket on Fox Sports as well as commentating all of the overseas series involving the Aussies.

He'll be very missed.

This Friday's Pura Cup game against SA will be posponed.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

An absolute tragedy, although not knowing much about him until the last few years im sure he was everything people are saying about him.

An absolute legend, it just seems so stupid that a person would even attempt to try to hit anyone even if it wasnt a celebrity to control a situation.

The old catchcry of violence doesnt solve anything can attribuly be attributed to Hookes not of the bouncer. As Hookes tried to resolved the altication as reported.

I feel priveliged to have watched the final epiosode of Inside Cricket that Hookes hosted, i learnt much about this man, i had not known anything about him a few years ago.

To the victorian cricket side, the death of a coach must be one of the most distressing aspects of life. Like the Kingsley football club, the club will arise above adverisity. And will be stronger for this horrible setback. Hopefully good comes of it and the crowds at the MCG will improve for victoiran games. It would be a fitting tribute to the man.

Finally an absolute tragedy for the family and Im sure all cricket fans and australians think of those who are associated with Hookes at this time.

RIP you achieved much for this country and will forever be remembered.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I just remembered. When Tony Greig sledged David Hookes, Hookes replied with "At least I'm playing for the country I was born in" (or words to that effect).

A great loss. Sydney was rocked a few years ago when a young man was murdered after an attack by ovverzealous Star City Security. Now we have overzealous security responsible for another death (allegedly). Maybe something should be done.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

David was amongst the best Cricketers South Australia has produced. He'll be sadly missed here as well as in Victoria where he'd recently taken residency to Coach the Victorian side.

This is a terrible tragedy, and I was shocked when I heard he was in a coma. When I had heard he died, I was in disbelief. I hope they find out the complete story as to how this all unfolded, and hopefully justice will prevail if it is found to be needed.

:cry:
RIP David, you'd done more for Cricket in this state than anyone I can remember in the last 3 decades...

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

a tragic loss of a true australian champion