SANFL 2010

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
HoldenV8
Silver

Re: SANFL 2010

Post by HoldenV8 »

Can something be done about Centrals? This is getting beyond a joke.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

HoldenV8 wrote:Can something be done about Centrals? This is getting beyond a joke.
Umm, manipulating the League for one team is the AFL's caper - not the SANFL, the other 8 clubs have been trying for 10 years now, Centrals are getting older, they cannot keep it up forever....they will fall sooner rather than later. Bugger it, I'd even barrack for the bloody Magpies in the Granny next year If they were up against Centrals!

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

The N in SANFL comes from the Australian National Football Council, later known as the National Football League which was the quasi-controlling body of Australian football which eventually was usurped and taken over by the AFL.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

yob wrote:
cam wrote:What is the name of the actual SA football board? Is it the SANFL or something else? Eg, in Victoria, it was Football Victoria, and the AFL forced them to change their name to AFL Victoria, however the name of the league "Victorian Football League" has remained unchanged. If in SA is all comes under the SANFL name, maybe change that to AFL-SA but leave the name of the actual league as the SANFL? Or the SAFL - I've always wondered why the word "National" appears in there(?).
South Australian Football Commission oversees football in SA.

The N is an overhang from a generation old effort to nationalise the code. The WAFL was also once the WANFL. Quite frankly the only functional reason to keep it is it rolls off the tongue better - note, Victorians are the only people who pronounce it 'Sanfull.' We annunciate the letters individually. In Adelaide there's 5 brands that loosely fall in to 3 different categories. AFL is AFL. 'S-A-N-F-L' and 'local footy' is SANFL. 'Amateurs' and 'country footy' to describe amateur leagues.

And to further muddy the waters, top country footy players are generally better paid than SANFL players. It's basically a dog's breakfast, but the sum of all the parts lays a rank turd all over the WAFL.
:lol:

Let's see what happens when this Pokie shitfight occurs...

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Do you mean the new pokies restrictions flagged by our fearless federal leaders?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ Yes, which is one of the key reason the gulf between the SANFL and WAFL got so large.

A lot of SANFL clubs will struggle once they have to look at revenue away from the huge profits of Pokies Machines which delivers more money for marketing, player salaries, club rooms, hotels, etc etc. Will need a totally different financial model.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
HoldenV8 wrote:Can something be done about Centrals? This is getting beyond a joke.
Umm, manipulating the League for one team is the AFL's caper - not the SANFL, the other 8 clubs have been trying for 10 years now, Centrals are getting older, they cannot keep it up forever....they will fall sooner rather than later. Bugger it, I'd even barrack for the bloody Magpies in the Granny next year If they were up against Centrals!
Oh please no. You traitor :!: :!: :!: Don't you know the SANFL Fans Code?? LOL Only those who are Port Magpies supporters shall barrack for them. All others are allowed to only if a Port win benefits their own clubs quest for a finals berth. Since a Port win over Centrals in a Grand Final doesn't benefit anyone but the Port Adelaide Magpies, you're not allowed to barrack for them over Centrals in a GF. :lol:

And you're right about Centrals, they can't last forever. Even the great St. George sides who won 11 NSWRL premierships in a row got stopped eventually.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

HoldenV8 wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
Oh please no. You traitor :!: :!: :!: Don't you know the SANFL Fans Code?? LOL Only those who are Port Magpies supporters shall barrack for them. All others are allowed to only if a Port win benefits their own clubs quest for a finals berth. Since a Port win over Centrals in a Grand Final doesn't benefit anyone but the Port Adelaide Magpies, you're not allowed to barrack for them over Centrals in a GF. :lol:

And you're right about Centrals, they can't last forever. Even the great St. George sides who won 11 NSWRL premierships in a row got stopped eventually.
I don't know my NSWRL lore as well as I know my SANFL lore, but didn't the mandarins at HQ change the rules to help hasten the end of the dragons 11-in-a-row?? Is that when Cronulla-Sutherland were carved out of St George's territory? My Aunt used to be a Mad St.George fan until our family moved from NSW to SA via NJ? So i might have gotten a biased opinion re: rule changes from her *shrug*

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The change to limited tackle in 1967 was a global change, remembering RL is played in more than one country. I think it's a misconception that it was to stop STG. Cronulla's admission was more am attempt at weakening Saints but it's worth noting they were only one win from playing in their 12th GF in 1967.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

One win, one goal kick actually. Even great St. George players of the time admitted the 4 tackle rule wasn't there to stop St. George. What stopped them is that they had gotten older and past their prime and that the crop coming through, while good enough to reach grand finals (1971), just weren't as good as their illustrious predecessors. Of course, there were also a new crop of great players coming through playing for other clubs. Bob Fulton, Arthur Beetson, Ron Coote etc.

The 4 tackle rule came in to stop bash and barge football. Before this teams could conceivably have possession for an entire half as there was no need to kick on the last tackle since there was no last tackle.

As for the SANFL, they won't change anything just to beat Centrals. Its actually been a boom time for them. The SANFL competition is healthier now than it has been since the birth of the Crows in late 1990. They and Centrals and the rest of the league know Centrals won't last forever. They are in a great time now but give it 5 or 10 years and they'll be back to where they were before this, often struggling to make the finals.

Amaru
Bronze

Post by Amaru »

Yes. Make them play Collingwood in a pre season game at that sh*t heap Elizabeth. By playing it at scumville it will ensure a decent crowd. The 30-35 goal ass reaming the pies would give them will batter their confidence so severely they will go back to the feeble state they once were when the SANFL actually meant something.

GO YOU PIES.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

:lol:

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Promote them to the AFL !

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

And now Noarlunga to get night footy:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 5937802856

Brings the list of night capable venues to:

Norwood
Lizbf
Richmond
Noarlunga
Thebby ???

And now only the Bays, Strut, Port and North without lights. Asterix on the Bays as they've been planning lights for a while but I have NFI if they're up.