A-League second division

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Re: A-League second division

Post by Egan »

beastjim wrote:Like it or not we will get a second division because the AFC is essentially forcing us to do it, don't do it and we won't get the AFC Champions League spots and perhaps it could affect our standing in the confederation. Hopefully the benefits of being in Asia, participating in the AFC Champions League ect, out weighs the negatives.
A2-League is going to be hard for the FFA to set up, and there will be issues. The top flight league will have to support the second league financially but it is not unachievable with a good set of financial backers and a strong tv contract. The problem is finding the location for an extra swathe of teams who will run on a shoe string, which is what Jacob is trying to get at with this list. The thing to remember is that if these teams get promoted they need to be able to step up with both a decent team and support structures. A stadium that is basically a grass hill with a main stand may be good enough for the A2-League, but it might not be good enough for the A-League.
So for the cities I fully support a team on the Sunshine Coast, it is now the biggest population area without a professional sporting team of any flavour. The first team in up there will be a big success, but I wouldn't want to be second. Coffs Harbour could also be a decent option in a "North Coast NSW team".
We don't get more Champions League spots, but there is no risk of the current two we get.

IMO the financial problems with setting up the B League is no way near strong enough to validify just for two Champions League spots, which continue to be a drain on A-League franchise. (Will be different in several years time).

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I agree. The cost of a 2nd div is way out of proportion to the benefit we get in 1 or 2 additional ACL spots

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

If a second division is established I could imagine there would be promotion/relegation from the various state leagues but nothing between it and the A-League.

To do so would be totally detrimental to the state of the league. Despite the affirmations from the AFC we must ensure the strength of the league is not compromised just for the sake of an extra ACL spot or two.

I could imagine the formula for any possible promotion and relegation between the second and top tier of the football pyramid would be the same as the US model where teams have to prove they have the stadium, finances and fan base to compete in the league.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

hot_dogma wrote:If a second division is established I could imagine there would be promotion/relegation from the various state leagues but nothing between it and the A-League.

To do so would be totally detrimental to the state of the league. Despite the affirmations from the AFC we must ensure the strength of the league is not compromised just for the sake of an extra ACL spot or two.

I could imagine the formula for any possible promotion and relegation between the second and top tier of the football pyramid would be the same as the US model where teams have to prove they have the stadium, finances and fan base to compete in the league.
Do we include the New Zealand League in Division 2?

FFA Cup I think gives them one spot. You only get another ACL spot from a promotion/relegation system. It also delivers all sorts of fun and games for me. Add to the list Adelaide City Force v Adelaide United as a pressure cooker...

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Egan wrote:
hot_dogma wrote:If a second division is established I could imagine there would be promotion/relegation from the various state leagues but nothing between it and the A-League.

Do we include the New Zealand League in Division 2?

FFA Cup I think gives them one spot. You only get another ACL spot from a promotion/relegation system. It also delivers all sorts of fun and games for me. Add to the list Adelaide City Force v Adelaide United as a pressure cooker...
No I wouldn't as the NZFC makes up that shortfall.