Cricket 2009/10

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Boba Fett wrote:
"... It's unfortunate if people are going to judge the popularity of Test cricket or international cricket by ... the crowds in attendance..."
The above quote by CA chief James Sutherland is one of the more astonishing examples of head-in-the-sand attitude I have ever read!

What other measurement of popularity could possible be more relevant than attendance? :shock:
if he's a northerner then it's TV ratings

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

ANZ Stadium has been approved by the ICC to host ODI's. Interesting.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/anz ... -k6dj.html

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Is anyone going to give a f**k about 50 over cricket by 2015?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Rob wrote:Is anyone going to give a f**k about 50 over cricket by 2015?
IMO, yes. It is a version of cricket whereas 20/20 isn't.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

If there's less of it. I mean, the Champions Trophy can piss off. It's not the World Cup. Similarly, we go and play seven ODIs in India for the sake of it. No one gives a f**k about that but I think they will care about the World Cup.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

gyfox wrote:
IMO, yes. It is a version of cricket whereas 20/20 isn't.
No kidding.

Will anyone give a f**k about 20 over cricket when Austrlaia's new baseball league starts?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

gyfox wrote:ANZ Stadium has been approved by the ICC to host ODI's. Interesting.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/anz ... -k6dj.html

:roll: got their tape measure out and measured from brown paper bag to brown paper bag?????

1 day and 20/20 games are not first class games last time i looked therefore ANZ dosnt comply because it wasnt certified before 2007...

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:
If there's less of it. I mean, the Champions Trophy can piss off. It's not the World Cup. Similarly, we go and play seven ODIs in India for the sake of it. No one gives a f**k about that but I think they will care about the World Cup.
We will continue to play a lot of ODI games in India, regardless of whether Australia gives a stuff about them or not. Makes a bucket load of money for Cricket Australia.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

16 wickets in a day.

West Indies look brilliant. Should play all test matches at GABBA...

kame_22
Bronze

Post by kame_22 »

16 wickets in a day.

I played cricket last night we were like 2/78 or something and then we finished it was like 6/119 i was like sh*t

kame_22
Bronze

Post by kame_22 »

16 wickets in a day.

now we look a lot better now

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Great last session...

Well worth the $25

Good day, Cricket/Wildcats/ Pub 8)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

After the first Test it was a very enthralling series. Well played West Indies though Benn is a bit chirpy.

Pakistan have played well in NZ. Hopefully they cont9inue to make the summer a good one.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

It was a curious series...

For all the expectations of how Australia was going to wipe the floor with the Windies, it turned out rather differently. Did Australia not play to expectations? Did the Windies exceed theirs? Bit of both?

One thing is not in doubt - Australian cricketers by and large do not react well to unexpected pressure. Very poor behaviour - which to me reflects badly on the captain. One of the reasons that Ponting will nt be regarded as one of the great captains. Very good batsman, but not much chop as a leader.

Rob
Gold

Re: Cricket 2009/10

Post by Rob »

Worth a read for the austadiums reference if nothing else.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ ... -mrs8.html

Cricket Australia unfazed by turnout
DANIEL RAMUS
January 24, 2010
Cricket Australia has played down concerns over Friday night's lacklustre crowd for the first one-dayer between Australia and Pakistan at the Gabba.

The attendance of 19,758 was the lowest for a one-day international involving Australia in Queensland since the Brisbane Cricket Ground was remodelled in 1999.

And, according to website www.austadiums.com, Friday's crowd was the second-lowest attendance to the first ODI of an Australian summer since 2002-03. It was beaten only by a crowd of 16,690 in Adelaide for a match between Australia and New Zealand in the Chappell-Hadlee series of December 2007.

It should be noted that the series against New Zealand took place in an unusual five-week gap in the Test schedule between November 20, 2007, when the Australia-Sri Lanka series ended, and December 26, 2007, when the Australia-India series began. This possibly contributed to the low attendance on that occasion. It was also the first summer Australia was without Test stalwarts Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath.

Cricket Australia spokesman Peter Young was unconcerned by the low attendance in Brisbane, and feels there is a place for all three forms of cricket in the future.

''Long-term … particularly when we get into a summer next year which will involve an Ashes series, and then in subsequent summer seasons that will involve India and South Africa … we're confident that there is scope for three formats: Test cricket, one-day international cricket, and interstate Twenty20,'' Young said yesterday.

But he admitted it was unrealistic to sustain three international formats, highlighting the value of the Twenty20 Big Bash. ''We remain convinced that developing Twenty20 predominantly as an interstate product is the way to go. We've always argued that it should be an interstate format because it's just not possible to contemplate having three international formats,'' he said.

While admitting the Brisbane crowd was lower than Cricket Australia would have liked, Young said it met projections. ''Clearly, I think everyone would have liked a bigger attendance,'' he said. ''At the moment we are on track for where we thought we would be [at this stage in the series]. The projection experts told us 20,000 for Friday night and it was [19,758], so for all intents and purposes they were spot on.''

As of yesterday, only about 17,000 tickets had been pre-sold for today's second ODI between Australia and Pakistan at the SCG.