Rugbly League worse off due to Soccer

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

beastjim wrote:
deejaybee wrote:I travel farther to play football than i would if i played Aussie-Rules.

FOOTBALL IS WORSE OFF DUE TO EARLY 20TH CENTURY URBAN PLANNING IN VICTORIA
Try playing AFL in Brisbane. The Junior league alone stretches from Bribie Island to Caboolture, to Ipswich, to Jimboomba, to Beaudesert, to Beenleigh, to Redland Bay/Victoria Point and everywhere in between, over 40 clubs now I believe. The State League Division 2 Seniors comp stretches from Noosa to Coolangatta.
I suppose that is one of the advantages Sydney has with junior football. There are 15 District Associations in the Sydney Basin each with 10,000+ players so you don't have to go very far to your kids games.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

haha, it doesn't bother me at all, and the distance is 10 minutes!

I was just keeping in line with the original post :D

Nines
Silver

Re: Rugbly League worse off due to Soccer

Post by Nines »

bazza wrote: More people have played soccer compared to RL in NSW for the past 30 years at least.
Isn't that what the ABS is saying ?
bazza wrote: When you are in you have finished school and realise that you don't realy have much chance of being a professional rugby league player
How many nrl clubs in the Sydney basin Vs AL clubs ?

Statistically much easier to be a nrl player .

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

This thread is actually quite interesting as it plays on the emotions of what thoughts have been festering in my noggin for the past month.

Despite me being a very passionate football supporter who travels all around Australia and the world to watch Sydney FC and the Socceroos (plus Mooroolbark) I have recently had the urge to take up rugby league - in Melbourne!

Now I know it would mean having to go somewhere near Dandenong and end up being the only non-Polynesian in the team but a) I'm dark and solid enough and b) I just have the intrinsic urge to play a sport where I can legitimately belt the sh*t out of someone.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

beastjim wrote: Try playing AFL in Brisbane. The Junior league alone stretches from Bribie Island to Caboolture, to Ipswich, to Jimboomba, to Beaudesert, to Beenleigh, to Redland Bay/Victoria Point and everywhere in between, over 40 clubs now I believe. The State League Division 2 Seniors comp stretches from Noosa to Coolangatta.
Surely they have clubs creating their own league.

I know that I participated in the Peel Junior Soccer Association, which had teams from Mandurah, Waroona, Pinjarra, Dawesville and Baldivis...

Played at one location in mandurah every week. Surely there are some associations that create their own league?

PJSA and Mandurah City have become incredibly strong since they have built Hyundai Stadium.

If attendance was kept they would probably rival Peel Thunder and are 4th in the Premier League - highest level in the WA State League.

Big threat to Australian Rules Football if Peel Thunder goes and you have a successful soccer club like Mandurah City...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

bazza and keithroosters are the two most likely to post proper responses. I ecourage you guys not to. This forum is littered with threads where people had this intention and things went bad.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Egan wrote: Surely they have clubs creating their own league.
I just don't think the thought process occurs, plus there aren't that many clubs in the out lying regions where another league could succeed. They keep it local in the under 8/9/10/11's playing a wider pool of clubs as you get older (so like under 8's is only the couple of closest and usually club organised, where as by under 11's its the whole of the Northside together) and then in Under 12's its anywhere that plays at the same level as you.

You could go for even a perhaps more simple North/South devide, but the couple of strongest clubs like playing together (Aspley, Sandgate, Mt Gravatt, Mourningside, Sherwood, Redlands) and so to split them would make things more repetitive and less competitive.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Get them to contact the Peel Junior Soccer Association, is not that hard.

But maybe Brisbane doesn't work like the Peel region, where sport is highly regionalised and they couldn't give a sh*t about playing any of the city teams...

I'd expect Gold Coast to have a seperate junior league...

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Jeffles wrote:bazza and keithroosters are the two most likely to post proper responses. I ecourage you guys not to. This forum is littered with threads where people had this intention and things went bad.
Thought I might derail this thread into talk about how far some people have to go for their sport.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Egan wrote:Get them to contact the Peel Junior Soccer Association, is not that hard.

But maybe Brisbane doesn't work like the Peel region, where sport is highly regionalised and they couldn't give a sh*t about playing any of the city teams...

I'd expect Gold Coast to have a seperate junior league...
Yeah of course, Sunshine Coast and Toowoomba as well. Goes to whole of South East Queensland for Under 18's however they are alligned with Senior clubs.

Some of the outer lying clubs would almost be better off joining say the Gold Coast League, however the Brisbane league is rather well run so it has it's trade offs and advantages.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

i want to know exactly what the f**k a "rugbly league" is.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

beastjim wrote:
Jeffles wrote:bazza and keithroosters are the two most likely to post proper responses. I ecourage you guys not to. This forum is littered with threads where people had this intention and things went bad.
Thought I might derail this thread into talk about how far some people have to go for their sport.
May as well declare the whole forum a fight club .

Who out there is interested in serious discussion ?

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

If this was a fight club, you would have just broken the first rule.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

With the soccer WC coming to Australia and rl grounds being perfect for the round ball game I can see the WC interferring hugely in the nrl season .

. :cry:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Nines wrote:With the soccer WC coming to Australia and rl grounds being perfect for the round ball game I can see the WC interferring hugely in the nrl season .

. :cry:
Your not joining your fellow evangelist in support of the Football World Cup...