Relevance of Commonwealth Games

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Scott
Bronze

Relevance of Commonwealth Games

Post by Scott »

This may be old hat, but the discussion about the MSAC got me thinking again about the relevance of the Commonwealth Games (CG) in global sporting terms. I'm sure the Games will be an organisational success and whatever goverment is in power in Victoria in 2006 will strut around like peacocks boasting about it, but in the terms of overall sporting achievement, the CG really is parse.

To me, Sydney 2000 showed that Australia needs to "play" in the world sporting stage, not a sporting gathering of the former British Empire that in terms of overall results is 2 or 3 rungs below true international class. Sure, I remember 1982 in Brisbane, and the reaction of Australia generally, but will we feel the same about Melbourne 2006?...I doubt it. The Olympics matters, individual sport world championships matter, region games matters, the CG doesn't.

I know for some minor sports (eg. bowls) GC gold is the pinnacle of achievement, so unilaterally dumping the CG is maybe not an immediate option, but it needs to happen eventually.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Dont dump the commonwealth game. It may not have the prestige of the Olympics but imagine dumping the commonwealth games and saying to people like Dawn Fraser, Keiran Perkins Cathy Freeman and the likes that the games arent important enough to keep. For me I love watching the Games and if the ratings for the games wernt high with the huge coverage given, do you think it would still be on?

The commonealth games still have relevance and its our occasion to show the world how dominant we are in sport and to win the medal tally. Also for sport like Netball they rate the Games as equal to World Championship success with the strongest nations part of the commonwealth. At Melbourne Basketball will make its debut.But has been dumped from the New Delhi itinerary for 2010. It seems as though even people in India will be immersed by the tradition the Commonwealth games hold.

Athletics is very competitive as mentioned before athletics, hockey to a degree, cycling, triathlon

All together an awesome competition

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The entire Commonwealth is a weird set up. Mozambique has membership because of its proximity to Commonwealth nations yet it was always a Portuguese colony and never a British one.

The Commonwealth Games (muhc like the political organisation) is fast losing relevance in these times. It is a look back to history only.

In saying that, I think the tournament should be kept. We win almost everything and it is good practice to keep our athletes motivated.

F1
Bronze

Post by F1 »

I agree we should definately keep the Commonwealth Games, there are a no. of sports which are almost exclusively played by Commonwealth countries eg. cricket, netball, squash etc.

Having said that, I also believe we need to try and form an Asia Pacific Games involving countries of the Asia Pacific rim- not only would this have a huge sporting powerhouses like the US and China but it would foster better relationships in a region will be the economic (if not alreday) centre of the world.
Remember it was Australia that founded APEC on a similar platform.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

I can't really question its relevance today, because I'm not 100 per cent sure of its relevance to previous generations. Clearly, in years long past the CG would have held significance as a celebration of Empire. More recently, the success of the Brisbane Games, Hayley Lewis in Auckland, and Kieran Perkins and Cathy Freeman in Victoria means that the CG are looked upon with great fondness.

If it does hold less relevance today, maybe it’s because our athletes are so dominant. In the past, when (if) it was harder to win Commonwealth gold, success would have been regarded as a very significant achievement.

No doubt, today it still provides our athletes with solid competition, gives them something to aim for and rewards all their hard work.
F1 wrote:I also believe we need to try and form an Asia Pacific Games involving countries of the Asia Pacific rim
Good idea. Not sure though how it could fit into an already busy calendar, but it would be worth making room for. The Pan Pacific swimming championships are very successful and could form the nucleus for such a multi-sport competition.

I wonder which of the two meets (CG & Pan Pacs) our swimmers regard more highly? Perhaps that's as good a gauge as any to judge the relevance of the Commonwealth Games today.