The History of Australian Football

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Nines
Silver

The History of Australian Football

Post by Nines »

This is M P Sharp's account of the early history of Australain Football ,which is debated frequently to have it's own thread . http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLib ... t0401d.pdf

We can see that the NSWFL used just the single term "Football" in it's title and encouraged people to play "Australian Football" in their advertising .

The current Erskineville Oval was home to the Newtown Bloods for most of the last century . It's encouraging to see that a junior team now exists in that area .

Deagan
Bronze

Post by Deagan »

God your boring. I've playyed WAFL all my life, except for when the game was called Westar Rules when I played that instead and even, I dont care.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Nines is trying to 'sanitise' the forums with his agenda ridden caimpaign from the AFL...

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Well, Deagan, it's nice to have someone on this site who actually has played League Football. The best I could do was play with Riverside in SAAFL :cry:

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

nobleoz wrote:Well, Deagan, it's nice to have someone on this site who actually has played League Football. The best I could do was play with Riverside in SAAFL :cry:
I dare say there are quite a few of us on here who have played League Football. Its been played in Australia since 1908.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

[facepalm][/facepalm]

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Gyfox - I thought you had lived in Tassie long enough to understand the different culture & language in states where Aussie Rules is the # 1 football. "League Football" refers to the major leagues in those states (SANFL, WAFL, etc) as opposed to junior & district leagues. I know Rugby League started in NSW in 1908 - but I didn't know it was referred to as league football - I understood the ref was just League or Union.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

EDIT: should have said "Rugby League only started in NSW in 1908" :wink:

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

nobleoz wrote:Gyfox - I thought you had lived in Tassie long enough to understand the different culture & language in states where Aussie Rules is the # 1 football. "League Football" refers to the major leagues in those states (SANFL, WAFL, etc) as opposed to junior & district leagues. I know Rugby League started in NSW in 1908 - but I didn't know it was referred to as league football - I understood the ref was just League or Union.
Oh dear, I forgot to put the :wink: in my last post. I do understand the lingo in the so called southern states but it not used in Tassie to my knowledge. Players have always been referred to as playing TFL (formed in 1879) or sometimes State League players.

Actually Rugby League had a game in Melbourne in 1908 too. The VFL were a bit concerned about this new professional sport, seeing it had outdrawn the 26,000 crowd at the VFL game in Sydney that year by 4,000, so they had the League bods locked out of all enclosed grounds just like Rugby Union did to the NSWFA in the 1880's.

Like Aussie Rules there are many ways to refer to League but you wouldn't normally put "football" at the end because everyone knows that it is football.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

That's what I thought, Gyfox. But do read my edit again :wink:

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

nobleoz wrote:That's what I thought, Gyfox. But do read my edit again :wink:
Yes but Rugby was played in Sydney in the late 1840's. :)

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Deagan wrote:I've playyed WAFL all my life, except for when the game was called Westar Rules when I played that instead and even, I dont care.
That was an interesting time .
Who'd you play for ?

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Marconi are probably one of the most famous clubs in Australian Football.

Personally, I am hoping that the new Gold Coast Galaxy can better them

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Nines wrote:
Deagan wrote:I've playyed WAFL all my life, except for when the game was called Westar Rules when I played that instead and even, I dont care.
That was an interesting time .
Who'd you play for ?

Silence

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I noticed that also. Think he was pulling our legs!