The Ashes 2009

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Soaks wrote: I hope Hughes used his spare time wisely
I think big Merv spent most of his time in the pub. :wink: If selection of quicks during the series was his call then he should be looking for another job. Hilfehaus was by far our best but he needed support and that doesn't mean having another 3 strike bowlers in the team. Clark should have been there every time he was fit.

As for the other Hughes, hopefully he sorts out his issues with the short ball very quickly because Watson is not an opener. 4 LBW's in 5 innings.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Well that was embarrassing. We were geninely outplayed. A few selection decisions may have changed things as would some decent bowling at the death in Cardiff but England are deserving winners.

broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

gyfox wrote:As for the other Hughes, hopefully he sorts out his issues with the short ball very quickly because Watson is not an opener. 4 LBW's in 5 innings.
Thats the thing, with all the talk about Hughes technical deficiency with playing the short ball, they bring in a guy that has just has as big a deficiency himself. I'd drop Hussey and put Watson down at 5 or 6. Clarke can then move up to 4 which is the perfect position for him.

All this talk about sacking Ponting as captain worries me a bit. It feels like we might see him retire early if hes forced out which would be an absolute shame as he's one of Australia's greatest batsmen.

We've dropped down to 4 in the ICC Test Rankings now with Sri Lanka even ahead of us. They've well and trully flown under the radar over the past 12 months.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

broncos wrote:
All this talk about sacking Ponting as captain worries me a bit. It feels like we might see him retire early if hes forced out which would be an absolute shame as he's one of Australia's greatest batsmen.

We've dropped down to 4 in the ICC Test Rankings now with Sri Lanka even ahead of us. They've well and trully flown under the radar over the past 12 months.
He now however has the unfortunate legacy of a captain who lost the ashes 2 times and an ashes game at lords......keep him as a batsman yes but take the captaincy away from him ASAP. Stack him up against modern Australian cricket captains, and the selectors as well.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

How many tosses did England win in this series?

They won everyone I saw.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

England won four of five.

For mine, the howler of Ponting's that stands out is the bowling to Anderson and Panesar at the death in Cardiff. Though he's not the best tactician, I'd keep him there as captian. I don't think an alternative could do better. We still woukld have lost.

Again, Australia's vulnerability against good swing bowling is revealed. It's cost us against the Proteas, India (sometimes) and England. Peter Roebuck that Australian pitches are becoming more and more homogenous. I think that's a fair point.

So we slip to 4th in the rankings. No surprise given we've lost series to three different teams in the past 12 months. On the brght side we have Pakistan and West Indies at home as well as a our to NZ in the next 8 months. That should get the climb going.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I don't know why the media are wanting to show us the scenes in England...

I don't want to know, talk or even think about that ashes. I have avoided as much of the media as I can and walk away when the ashes stuff comes on TV...

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

Just when I was getting worried about my drinking habits as a student, we lose the ashes...

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

Jeffles wrote:England won four of five.
It was such a close series between two decent but inconsistent teams

People are analysing it and saying that England won all the big moments and all this nonsense but at the end of the day the difference was literally a coin toss.

You can't really blame Ponting’s captaincy.
Last edited by Spirit of Santos on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

...just dont let it be SIR Freddy Flintoff...i realy couldnt cope with that.

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

Dean Jones states he reckons Warnie should be captain for the next two years until Clarke is ready for the job.Nice thought but :shock: