Domestic Cricket 2009-10

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Well hopefully NSW will be 2.6mill better off early tomorrow morning!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

the crow wrote:Well hopefully NSW will be 2.6mill better off early tomorrow morning!
They are, does all of that go to the players though?

Or some goes to the cricket body?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote:
the crow wrote:Well hopefully NSW will be 2.6mill better off early tomorrow morning!
They are, does all of that go to the players though?

Or some goes to the cricket body?
Allan Border was just saying on the Ford Ranger Cup commentary that the NSW players get about $100,000 each.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

nobleoz brought to my attention of the opinion in The Australian by Patrtick Smith.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 70,00.html

He states that Cricket's newfound riches and three formats will "soak up athletes".
Anyone agree?

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

deejaybee wrote:nobleoz brought to my attention of the opinion in The Australian by Patrtick Smith.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 70,00.html

He states that Cricket's newfound riches and three formats will "soak up athletes".
Anyone agree?
I thought "cricket" and "athletes" were mutually exclusive words. :)

Come down to my cricket club.I'll show you some "athletes" :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

There are more riches in World Football...

So naturally they will soke up most of the athletes. Load of crap...

You can't change the dominance of athletes in AFL and NRL around with simply more money coming out of the Sub-Continent for cricketers.

I was watching the Ford Ranger Broadcast until the TV was taken over from me.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Hehehe. I haven't seen any crowd shots, sounds rather small and there has been little promotion for the game. So small that we have lost the ball.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well Done Bulls...

Didn't watch much, but what I saw you were well on top throughout the game.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Yeah i was watching the A-League. Watching the scores the bulls did well, a heavy rain shower went through towards the start of their innings. So it would have certainly helped things for the bowlers. Hartley's promotion to the top of the order appears to be a smart move so far, could finally help push him towards Australian selection.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Peter Roebuck is complaining about the SCG and Australian pitches generally in his column today. He makes a fair point linking the run feasts to the decline of Test cricket. The scorecard in India and Sri Lanka's Test is supporting that argument as well.

Last year 23 of the 30 regular season Sheffield Shield matches tielded results. So far his year there have been two outrights from six completed fixtures with NSW v Tas set for a draw. WA and Vic are currently having a lively match so that should take the ratio to 5 draws out of 8.

Of the completed draws, the NSW v WA game waas affected by rain but the scorecard shows it was heading for a draw. Qld v SA manufactured an exciting finish but the other two were boring run feasts.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The wicket in Perth was absolutely shizenhausen.

Glad they are in Melbourne rather than Perth as well. Rain and wind the last two days :roll:

SCG's wicket is not drop in is it?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

^ no SCG is rebuilt every season...there was alot of games there last year so the wicket square got a bit of a hiding.

wildcat
Bronze

Post by wildcat »

How come sheffield shield games are 4 days?

Seeing as its a devopment league of sorts, with players not jsut playing for their state but also the potential of playing for Australia, wouldn't it make more sense to make them 5 days?

This would lead to fewer draws

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

They compensate by playing 96 overs in a day instead of 90. Means there is about a difference of 50 overs, sometimes that would mean a result but on a majority of occasions probably not. Plus it keeps costs down, because there is no way the Shield runs at a profit for any team. I say, more green decks around the country, a good way to get a result is the rip through the top order in the first session and a team be 5 down.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Two 4s of the last two balls of the day see Tassie win by one wicket in the Shield. Unbelieveable win. The two teams play a F50 game tomorrow under lights at Bellerive - the first major d/n game there .

Brad Hodge retiring too. Shame - he should be in the Australian team but realises that won't happen so he is bowing out. He's bludgeoned attacks all over the country so as a Blues fan I won't miss him that much.