Fans abandon Force

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Nines
Silver

Fans abandon Force

Post by Nines »

That's the headlines in this saturdays's West Australian .
Only 15k to see the Force's best win on of season .
What's is happenning out there at Perry Lakes ?
What would have been the New limited headlines ?

AndrewM
Bronze

Post by AndrewM »

the headline should have read Force fans abandon Subiaco. I took a picture on my mobile from near the three tier stand which really shows how sh*t it is for rugby. I'll try and post it tomorrow if I can upload it

The Reds at the moment aren't the biggest drawcard in the comp and there doesn't seem to be many Reds fans in Perth compared to Brumbies and Waratahs fans either

As I said in another post, I am counting down the days till the Force move to Members Equity

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

AndrewM wrote: I am counting down the days till the Force move to Members Equity
Is that an organised date ?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

AndrewM wrote:the headline should have read Force fans abandon Subiaco. I took a picture on my mobile from near the three tier stand which really shows how sh*t it is for rugby.
I can assure you, it's just as sh*t for footy as well.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Rob wrote:
AndrewM wrote:the headline should have read Force fans abandon Subiaco. I took a picture on my mobile from near the three tier stand which really shows how sh*t it is for rugby.
I can assure you, it's just as sh*t for footy as well.
:lol:

It's still a great crowd compared to what the :lol: NZ provinces get AND this is in an emerging market. The Farce will pack a redeveloped MES.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

And are more profitable than similar expansion sides in the AFL such as the Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Jeffles wrote: It's still a great crowd compared to what the :lol: NZ provinces get AND this is in an emerging market. The Farce will pack a redeveloped MES.
Yes it's still a great crowd , but originally twice as many people were willing to attend Subiaco . The crowds are still going down in spite of the crowd now occupying the better viewing seats .it must be a worry .
What is the latest situation with MES ?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Egan wrote:And are more profitable than similar expansion sides in the AFL such as the Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans.
How much did the Force make last year? And are you comparing current ie season 08 to season 08 or Season 08 S14 to Season 89 AFL (Sorry VFL)?

Because the Lions are one of the most profitable teams going around, indeed last year they made a profit of over $2 Million before the GFC hit their investments. Which they haven't sold so it isn't money lost par say, just not worth as much atm. Plus multi million doller profits through the successfully years which let them invest alot of money for a rain day.

No idea on the Swans although I always assumed they got along all right.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

beastjim wrote:How much did the Force make last year?
I don't think that is an issue . I assume they are still in a quite healthy position and comparissons to the AFL are quite meaningless as the turnovers involved at AFL clubs at huge these days .

The issue as I see it is the accelerated downward trend in home crowds .
I'd like to know what's happenning about MES too as MES was upgraded for the farce and now they could easily accomodate them .

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Nines wrote:
beastjim wrote:How much did the Force make last year?
I don't think that is an issue . I assume they are still in a quite healthy position and comparissons to the AFL are quite meaningless as the turnovers involved at AFL clubs at huge these days .

The issue as I see it is the accelerated downward trend in home crowds .
I'd like to know what's happenning about MES too as MES was upgraded for the farce and now they could easily accomodate them .

The current upgrades to MES were done prior to the force coming in.

They were offered an additional upgrade to the stadium (around 25k capacity IIRC) on the grounds that they agree to play all their home games there in their 2nd season, to which they refused. AFAIK, the offer is now off the table.

The worry for the force is that they're going the way of the Wildcats, the Perth Heat and the Glory, which all went through periods of popularity for a few years only for support to diminish for no apparant reason other than the novelty simply wearing off. A move to MES should help them as it should encourage fans to get season tickets and hopefully for their sake they can sell 80% of the ground before the season.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Rob wrote:The worry for the force is that they're going the way of the Wildcats, the Perth Heat and the Glory, which all went through periods of popularity for a few years only for support to diminish for no apparant reason other than the novelty simply wearing off.
You might include the Reds in there as well.
It's the dynamics of the Perth sporting market .

Rob wrote: A move to MES should help them as it should encourage fans to get season tickets and hopefully for their sake they can sell 80% of the ground before the season.
But is there any talk of a move ?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Rob wrote:
The worry for the force is that they're going the way of the Wildcats, the Perth Heat and the Glory, which all went through periods of popularity for a few years only for support to diminish for no apparant reason other than the novelty simply wearing off. A move to MES should help them as it should encourage fans to get season tickets and hopefully for their sake they can sell 80% of the ground before the season.
Especially when you consider Perth is far less propped up by the ARU then what the AFL props up Brisbane and Sydney, the comparison in profit situation is huge. 1 million profits, going down to $850,000.

And Rob, there is a reason why crowds are dropping. "not for no apparent reason" Subiaco Oval. There have been numerous studies that show the distance from the pitch is impacting on attendance.

Eg There pre-season game had more people than the last regular season game at the sh*t hole.

AndrewM
Bronze

Post by AndrewM »

Trying to find the official Western Force Press release, but here's a start

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 01,00.html [/url]

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Andrew mate, that redevelopment is very unlikely to happen.

They are going to stick a few more temporary stands on to get it to 22,500 I think.

:lol:

Auckland and Perth, still have no idea about stadia...

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Egan wrote: There have been numerous studies that show the distance from the pitch is impacting on attendance.
But at least 20k seats would have better viewing than the SCG .