WAFL Attendance Figures

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

WAFL Attendance Figures

Post by Egan »

Here it is I got the WAFL attendance Figures for each club in 2004

Sth Fremantle got the highest average home attendance of 2133.3(Inflated by Derby crowds, so Swannies probably are the best supporterd club in the comp)

Poor old Peel :cry:

Sth Freo 2133.3
Swan Districts 2105.4
East Perth 2051.3
Subiaco 1882.1
West Perth 1828.7
Claremont 1760.6
Perth 1627.5
East Fremantle 1601.5
Peel Thunder 1323.6

Highest attendancen in the WAFL in 2004 4214, 3922

1st Round for WAFL 2005

Claremont Oval 7812
Fremantle Oval 2501 (101 off my personal estimate :wink: )
Swan Districts v Peel Thunder 1805
Subiaco v East Fremantle 1684

It was the highest attendance for any round since Round 1 1994, a great effort...even if the Showgrounds crowd looks inflated...but their could have been more people earlier on...plus i have no idea the capacity of the Showgrounds, so it could have been 7800

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Claremont had a 500 average attendance increase on the previous year
Sth Fremantle 500 average attendance increase from the previous year.

All sides recorded an increase in attendance except Swan Districts and East Perth.

Swan Districts home attendance average slipped 133 people per game.
East Perth's home attendance slipped 79 people per game.

About a 200-300 increase in fans by all clubs across the board...with Thunder having the smallest increase of all WAFL clubs.

East Fremantle stayed relatively the same with a 12 people per game drop.

So people must be coming back slowly to WAFL footy

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Highest Crowds at each ground for 2004

Leederville Oval 3470
Steel Blue Oval 3185
Fremantle 4214
Arena Joondalup 3922
East Fremantle 3065
Claremont 1998
Rushton 1619

But apparently the estimate of the Peel Ground for the easter Saturday match was 2100

Will find out the official crowd later on.

Hope this thread is interesting to some...and not just me :wink:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Bloody oath i'm finding it interesting.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Fantastic crowd at Leederville today, all three grandstands were completely full and a good scattering around the ground and the grassbanks ( well the parts that arent sectioned off with fences...but it was great to have to wait and squash through crowds, having big lines at canteens...mmm Leederville Oval has the best tucker of all the WAFL grounds I have been too :)

3-3500 people I would have estimated to be at the ground and Mitch Morton was an absolute star...should be in the eagles squad next week.

Have the Freo Derby this weekend hopefully the better crowds continue and its 5,000+ for the Friday night derby...heres hoping

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Local Friday night footy is something the SANFL and WAFL really have to get behind. The expectation of a small crowd leaves potential attendees discouraged. This could be averted if significant resources were put into making every Friday match a big one. Rather than try to corral people into adopting a local side in addition to their AFL club, it can just be marketed as a "a big night of local football."

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Its more integral when Fremantle Oval is located in the biggest nightspot in Perth along with Northbridge.

Plus the markets are open across the road, people have alot of entertainment to go to after the match is finished., nightclubs, pubs, restaurants and the buzz around the place is great, everythings packed.

5,000+ will be telling me that WAFL crowds are on the rebound for sure, if we get that for the Sth v Est Fremantle Derby.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Round 2 Attendances

East Perth v Claremont Leederville Oval 2509
Perth v Subiaco Eftel Oval 1579
East Freo v Swan Districts 1459
Peel v Sth Frem 1434

Not bad, most of them competed against the Dockers match, which never would have happened a few years ago...until the AFL decided it would be smart to play on the same day as the WAFL :x

Still hoping for a massive crowd on Friday night...but the weather forecast is not looking good...19 and storms.

Ohwell, am loving going to alot of WAFL games although havent seen the powerhouses Subiaco yet.

Stadium_Seagull
Bronze

Post by Stadium_Seagull »

I'll be there at Freo Oval Friday Night... Standing in the licensed area on the North-East area the with other East Freo supporters. That corner is becoming the area for most East Freo supporters to gather.

Forever_Queensland
Bronze

Post by Forever_Queensland »

thats interesting reading. i thought the crowds would have been bigger considering the number or people they get to afl games around the country. what was the crowd for the grand final, if there is one?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Hmm Ill be in the George Grljusich Media Box for the first half, but if its not wet Ill venture around the ground...have never been to a Freo Derby... hope its great atmosphere

Forever Queensland WAFL GFs range from 20,000-35,000 people depending on who is and isnt playing...a Sth freo v East Freo GF attracted a crowd of 35,000, but Claremont v Subiaco attracts far less people due to less supporters of those clubs.

Should be a good game...despite East Freo not being as strong as in previous years, they always compete hard in the derbies.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Egan wrote:Hmm Ill be in the George Grljusich Media Box for the first half.
So, Egan, is your long term career goal to be the new George Grljusich of WA football??? Still miss his insightful (or for Victorians make that inciteful) commentary. :P

Is George still on air over their?? And will you follow in his footsteps??

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Georgie is still on air...if you listened to NSL over the internet on radio station 6PR you would still here him, tune in about 12:30pm EST on the internet on Mondays and Fridays and you will still here Georgie in action he has a half an hour segment on the Paul Murray show.

Also he has written opinion columns for www.footygoss.com.au

But the tip is that he wont be their for much longer, but the media box will forever be dedicated to him at Fremantle Oval. .

Yes I do want to become a Sports Journo, but at the moment I am just an assistant producer for the radio station dedicated to WAFL football 990am and a student at the University of Notre Dame in Fremantle.

Just need to get that footstep in front of my competitiors, for a very competitive industry...especially sports journalism.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Egan wrote: I am just an assistant producer for the radio station dedicated to WAFL football
Well, I reckon that alone is a "footstep in front of (many) competitiors." Its a 'foot in the door' and in a sports oriented station - great gig to start with - who knows where it may lead? Work hard at it, give it 100% and good luck may well follow.

Thanks for the info on George - brings back memories. Now Dennis Commetti has assumed the 'role model' mantel for WA commentators - even in Vic he was recently rated in HUN poll (so mostly only Victorians voting) as the best in AFL and a book on his on air witticisms a top seller.

Anyway, back on topic, please keep up this thread on WAFL - unfortunately don't hear near enough (next to nothing) over here. I follow grass roots football more than AFL itself. As a budding sports journo and working in WAFL, I recommend, if you haven't already read it, the book "The Footballers: A History of Football in Western Australia" (pub 1985 G Christian, J Lee & B Messenger). You will note this was published prior to the AFL coming to Perth. If you know of any other worthwhile WA football history reads, would like to know.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

I agree with Yob and Egan, I think the SANFL and WAFL have a huge potential for Friday night local games, especially since the AFL seem to have the majority of their Friday nighters at the MCG or Telstra Dome.

Yob, as a fellow Adelaide (and Bloods) man, do you think that the SANFL could look at the possibility of upgrading facilities at Thebarton Oval and using that, rather than Adelaide Oval, as the base for their Friday night games? Ok sure, it could be seen as a W-WT Eagles home ground, but they do play at Woodville. It would mean the SANFL doesn't have to pay the SACA ground hire fees etc.

An idea orth looking at or a pipe dream?