The Rugby Thread

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
warlock
Bronze

Post by warlock »

Surely newcastle with the stadium upgrade has to be in the mix to host a rugby test

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Come on guys, this is school rugby right? Surely your on the prowl for hot mothers not hot sisters :lol: .

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

warlock wrote:Surely newcastle with the stadium upgrade has to be in the mix to host a rugby test
You'd think so. A Test against Italy, Romania or Argentina would be suitable.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Jeffles wrote:
warlock wrote:Surely newcastle with the stadium upgrade has to be in the mix to host a rugby test
You'd think so. A Test against Italy, Romania or Argentina would be suitable.
I'm sure you would get more to a 40,000 seat stadium there for those teams than Melbourne is capable of attracting. Lonnie got 15,000 for a Romania v Namibia match and Melbourne gets 20,000 for Wallabies v Italy. :roll:

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Comparing the Hype of the Rugby World Cup to a normal Wallabies match is comparing Apples and Oranges gyfox. Suncorp got sold out for USA v Scotland IIRC, if they played tonight I wouldn't think 10,000 would turn up. You need to use the lessor drawing teams to go to different places. Melbourne has gotten Bledisloe Cup/Tri Nations games before, Italy doesn't compare. Canberra gets any Wallabies match and it basically sells out, I wonder what the Wind Chill factor was that night. Newcastle, Gold Coast, Townsville or even perhaps Adelaide. Could have been a better choice for the match.

For me the ARU should have sent the Frogs to Melbourne, three matches in Sydney is probably 1 to many, especially when you are sharing around only 7 matches. Left Sydney with the Barbarians and Kiwis. Italy off to one of the places I mentioned above.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Gyfox its about delivering a test match a year to Melbourne and Perth...

But also making sure they can earn a lot of money from games at Telstra due to the large capacity...

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

beastjim wrote:Comparing the Hype of the Rugby World Cup to a normal Wallabies match is comparing Apples and Oranges gyfox. Suncorp got sold out for USA v Scotland IIRC, if they played tonight I wouldn't think 10,000 would turn up. You need to use the lessor drawing teams to go to different places. Melbourne has gotten Bledisloe Cup/Tri Nations games before, Italy doesn't compare. Canberra gets any Wallabies match and it basically sells out, I wonder what the Wind Chill factor was that night. Newcastle, Gold Coast, Townsville or even perhaps Adelaide. Could have been a better choice for the match.

For me the ARU should have sent the Frogs to Melbourne, three matches in Sydney is probably 1 to many, especially when you are sharing around only 7 matches. Left Sydney with the Barbarians and Kiwis. Italy off to one of the places I mentioned above.
Any scheduling should be determined by the Abs.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

beastjim wrote:Comparing the Hype of the Rugby World Cup to a normal Wallabies match is comparing Apples and Oranges gyfox.
I can tell you that the majority went because it was a rugby international not because it also happened to be a World Cup game. Now that Aurora stadium has a capacity of 22,000 it would be full for a Wallabies v Italy game just because it is the Australian National team.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote:Gyfox its about delivering a test match a year to Melbourne and Perth...

But also making sure they can earn a lot of money from games at Telstra due to the large capacity...
I know the strategy, its the reverse of what happens in football. If there are other cities that will support a game better surely they need to be considered.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The ARU strategy is why Union is a lot stronger in Perth than Football.

It delivers the indication that the Wallabies are for all of Australia.

People from Newcastle can easily travel if they want to, get to the game by car or train.

Those in Melbourne can not. Would be a stupid move for them to abandon having a test match a year in Melbourne. 20,000 is dissapointing, but Union is in a slump everywhere. It was also a bigger crowd than what Canberra got for the same test match.

They had not had a Union test match for years...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote: Those in Melbourne can not. Would be a stupid move for them to abandon having a test match a year in Melbourne. 20,000 is dissapointing, but Union is in a slump everywhere. It was also a bigger crowd than what Canberra got for the same test match.
The crowd at the Wallabies Italy game in Canberra was 22,468 which is why Melbourne's crowd is so poor.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Ok, the crowd was bigger in Canberra...Helped by the fact a test match had not been played in Canberra for years...

Yes the crowd was poor. But to strip the right for Melbourne to have annual test matches is ridiculous.

Its the credit to the ARU that they have a national policy in regards to spreading the game to everyone.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote:Ok, the crowd was bigger in Canberra...Helped by the fact a test match had not been played in Canberra for years...

Yes the crowd was poor. But to strip the right for Melbourne to have annual test matches is ridiculous.

Its the credit to the ARU that they have a national policy in regards to spreading the game to everyone.
I wasn't necessarily meaning that melbourne should miss out but that other cities like Newcastle should get a look in too. I certainly don't think Melbourne should ever get the All Blacks... it sells out in Sydney with tickets between $150 and $300 each.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

And got 87,000 to the MCG previously. Any All Blacks match would be at the G...

Sydney feels they have the divine right to have an All Blacks test every year...Melbourne is good nationally in terms of its building up supporter base for an eventual team.

So take the two test matches a year that Sydney get and give one to Newcastle?

Perth
Melbourne
Brisbane
Sydney times 2
Canberra (This was the extra test match this year, 1 more than usual...due to Lions tour)

Just not feasible in the plan atm. Canberra is also more profitable to go to than Newcastle...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote:And got 87,000 to the MCG previously. Any All Blacks match would be at the G...

Sydney feels they have the divine right to have an All Blacks test every year...Melbourne is good nationally in terms of its building up supporter base for an eventual team.

So take the two test matches a year that Sydney get and give one to Newcastle?

Perth
Melbourne
Brisbane
Sydney times 2
Canberra (This was the extra test match this year, 1 more than usual...due to Lions tour)

Just not feasible in the plan atm. Canberra is also more profitable to go to than Newcastle...
Melbourne shouldn't get another All Blacks game until they learn to turn up for the other tests they get.