Australian Rules Football in Queensland

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
bazza
Silver

Re: Australian Rules Football in Queensland

Post by bazza »

people are more interested in code wars

Nines
Silver

Re: AFL in Queensland

Post by Nines »

nobleoz wrote:Interesting report that since Ablett's announcement GC Suns have added 1,000 members. The reponse has been better than when Hunt signed on - obviously Aussie Rules followers waiting to see.

And they just love KH's 60m goal !!

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Once again NRL schedules Titans against Suns. Suns 16k; Titans 10k. Once again AFL bigger. Perhaps NRL will not be so foolish in 2012?

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

nobleoz wrote:Perhaps NRL will not be so foolish in 2012?
As far as I know the NRL will still be letting Channel 9 and Fox Sports select the time and day for each rounds matches to be played approximately 8 weeks before hand

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

nobleoz wrote:Once again NRL schedules Titans against Suns. Suns 16k; Titans 10k. Once again AFL bigger. Perhaps NRL will not be so foolish in 2012?
How did the TV ratings compare?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

nobleoz wrote:Once again NRL schedules Titans against Suns. Suns 16k; Titans 10k. Once again AFL bigger. Perhaps NRL will not be so foolish in 2012?
How much money will the AFL lose due to massive subsidising of the Gold Coast?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Boba Fett wrote:
I'd imagine the Suns had more viewers due to the game being on FTA in Queensland and SA.

And Egan, who gives a sh*t? Given the AFL Is a not for profit organisation whose objective is to promote the game, i'd rather them propping up the Suns than a private owner, whose objective is to make a profit, doing the same. You can bet your ass the AFL is going to have a lot more patience.

I have to add that for a side that has been completely uncompetitive for the bulk of the year their support has been phenomenal. They outdrew Port Adelaide on the weekend, and only just fell short against North, who were playing for a finals spot. It's not like tickets are cheap either like they are in Victoria.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Thanks for that response, Rob. I would be very interested in the TV numbers on the Gold Coast for last Saty.

I don't think any sports lover would regard money invested in a new club as losing money, esp when it gets 16,000 at a game. Maybe Roy Masters would!

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Egan wrote:
Probably a similar amount to how much News Ltd has lost propping up the Storm.

Mr MacPhisto
Bronze

Post by Mr MacPhisto »

Boba Fett wrote:
It's tough to get figures for the Gold Coast.

Last round in Brisbane (free to air) only:

31,000 watched the Suns on CH10.
81,000 watched Collingwood play Brisbane on CH10.

The Broncos and Titans weren't on free-to-air, but 285,000 watched Souths play the Cowboys in the Friday night late game (9:30pm-11pm) on CH9.

(figures from talkingfooty.com)

On Fox Nationally (metro + regional):

Titans v Raiders 231,000
Gold Coast v Adelaide 112,000

(figures from tvtonight.com.au)

Trowling through the FTA numbers available on talkingfooty (I didn't include a couple AFL games as viewer numbers were missing) gives the following TV audience averages for the seasons so far (Brisbane audiences for Queensland Teams):

Broncos 288,000 (16 FTA Games)
Cowboys 261,000 (6 FTA Games)
Titans 219,000 (9 FTA Games)
Lions 78,000 (16 FTA Games)
Suns 59,000 (19 FTA Games)

It's worth noting that (a) all "regional" team averages are inflated by local derbys against the Broncos or Lions, and (b) Friday night rugby league will pull a better audience than Sunday afternoon league and Saturday and Sunday AFL. I assume there is no easy way of getting Gold Coast City audience numbers, though my assumption is that the Suns would rate quite well. I'd be surprised if they out-rate the Titans though. The Suns have pulled terrific gates on the back of being a new team with a great new stadium. Down the road, the Titans are having a horror season of their own (wooden spoon contenders), and their season average attendance of 15,000 is well down on the 20,000 they've averaged across previous seasons. We wont know the true GC sporting landscape until a few years down the track when both the Titans and Suns are (hopefully) in finals contention in the same season.

I can't be bothered troweling through Fox sports figures, but a quick glance shows NRL generally out-rates the AFL (especially once regional viewers are included).

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

nobleoz wrote:Thanks for that response, Rob. I would be very interested in the TV numbers on the Gold Coast for last Saty.
I doubt they would have been very big, the Suns haven't exactly set the world on fire with their TV ratings after their first few games. Which is understandable given most of their games have been over by 1/4 time.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Their margins have improved as you'd expect. Gotta give them credit for that. It's probably a good thing for them that the Lions are doing it tough as well.

Is Gold Coast the only place where you can get Foxtel and Austar?

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Egan wrote:
Obviously you'd have to produce a spreadsheet and establish a timeline but the AFL would've done there sums and at the moment I'd say they'd be very happy .
So , be happy egan .

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Good effort by the Suns today. Crowd of 19,000.......must have brought season's average to 16,000. All looking good for 2012

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

nobleoz wrote:Good effort by the Suns today. Crowd of 19,000.......must have brought season's average to 16,000. All looking good for 2012
Good result .
Improving onfield performance should counter reduced novelty factor in 2012 .