2008-09 NBL Season

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

wolves and victory man
Silver

Post by wolves and victory man »

Is this competition going to die in the arse or what :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Just reading on nbl.com.au that Peter Crawford is the marquee player for the Crocodiles :lol:

Seems as if the NBL has introduced the marquee system.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The only marquee the NBL can afford is the scrolling text in a MS Word 97 document.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=ne ... y&id=78282

For Snakepit fans...

Monday 10th August...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

That might tempt me.

broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

St Mary's was Patrick Mills' College team was it not?

How's this new season shaping up? Looking at that article I notice we have a new NBL symbol. Is that the extent of Basketball Australia's plans, just changing the symbol and getting more cash from Fox?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It was his team. They have a few Aussies on their roster and to tie into that their online store sells toy Kangaroos dressed in St Mary's colours.

Anyway I didn't go but it was a sell out. Video of the game and the Snakepit can be seen at the link below.

http://wollongonghawks.com.au/results/s ... gaels.html

Is it just me or did there used to be more seating at the left end. They must've had more temp seating behind the permanent seating. I also noticed that the seating behind the hoops are brown benches. They used to have the same cream and green livery of seat patterns Brandon Park employed in the NSL days of the Wolves.

Funny how certain cities/states employ patterns of seat livery. Gabba = Cazaly's. Canberra Stadium = National Hockey Centre, ACT. Snakepit used to equal Brandon Park. The old late 1990s temporary eastern stand at Adelaide Oval was similar to the Grand Prix track.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Major Sponsor for the NBL

www.thewest.com.au

The National Basketball League has been handed a lifeline in the form of a three-year major sponsorship deal with OAMPS Insurance Brokers.

The partnership is a major coup for the struggling competition in the lead-up to the 2009-10 season, which tips off on September 24.

The announcement follows on from the recent agreement struck with Fox Sports that will see the NBL's live television coverage increase.

Basketball Australia chief executive Larry Sengstock said the partnership showed that basketball's grass roots strength made the sport an attractive commercial proposition.

"It is fantastic that a major company like OAMPS... has recognised the tangible commercial benefits of aligning their brand with the sport of basketball and our more than 600,000 grass roots participants and 370,000 registered members," Sengstock said.

"By sponsoring the NBL they have clearly understood the leverage basketball's massive participation base can give them into the community.

"They have also demonstrated a keenness to engage at the club, state and association level using their extensive national network of offices to establish deep links with the basketball community.

As well as undisclosed cash component of the agreement, OAMPS will offer NBL players traineeships to help them prepare for life after basketball.

OAMPS will also provide a community grant to support the NBL's array of community programs, starting with an indigenous camp at the Top End Challenge pre-season tournament in September.

"This deal is a win-win, not just for the NBL, but for the whole of basketball," Sengstock said.

Also in the west today Bendat was asking for 1 million dollars in compensation for the continued delays of the Perth Arena opening up, He said the Wildcats would compete in the NBL, but he will not always prop them up, wanting to concentrate more on charities. He says the Government have a vested interest in giving the Wildcats 1 million dollars because of the club being the major tenant at the new venue...

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

"It is fantastic that a major company like OAMPS...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And good luck to one of WA's richest men looking for government handouts.....

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Actually OAMPS is a part of the Wesfarmers conglomerate which is an ASX20 company.

The NBL however is still utterly shithouse.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://nbl.com.au/site/_content/documen ... source.pdf

Good to see more Perth games on the TV. It pissed me and a lot of Wildcats supporters that they ignored covering our matches. Now they are covering game where the demand is - Perth...

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Game 1 this Thursday live on Fox from Auckland...

Looking forward to heading to the Wildcats game at North Shore against the Breakers.

Any of our New Zealand friends interested in an austadiums gathering?

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Egan wrote: Good to see more Perth games on the TV. It pissed me and a lot of Wildcats supporters that they ignored covering our matches. Now they are covering game where the demand is - Perth...
Yep , where the demand is , rich people with fox and 4WDs in Perth .
Oh, are you talking about Subiaco people again ?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Nines wrote:
Yep , where the demand is , rich people with fox and 4WDs in Perth .
Oh, are you talking about Subiaco people again ?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

I am talking about Perth, Adelaide and Townsville which are the three strongest basketball markets in terms of attendances.

They are now delivering more games of these clubs on the TV rather than covering lower attended and supported clubs.