Socceroos

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Simmo79
Platinum

Socceroos

Post by Simmo79 »

[this can be the perpetual Aus national socka/futbol thread]

Apparently Lord Pax predicts 64k + for tomorrow night's Aus v U R still Gay match. Anyone else going?

All hail Pax!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Good god not another disciple of the PAX.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Where is eff see?

Pax - 8)

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

I'll be there.

Ricardo
Silver

Post by Ricardo »

64,000 :shock:

Thats optimistic, i would've thought no more then 50k.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

PAX can't be trusted :P

Ricardo
Silver

Post by Ricardo »

61,795....i was way off. Poor Jones.

broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

See, people always challenge the laws of the pax but deep down everyone knows the system is fool proof :lol:

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Still yet to see the game!

I was at the Storm-Bunnies game last night, so had the Foxtel IQ set up to tape the Socceroos game and was planning on coming home and watching the game "live" as I had avoided the result all night.

I get home and the Foxtel IQ has f***ed up and the game didn't tape! Not bloody happy.

From the highlights I saw, it was a disappointing result for Australia. From various reports we played pretty well, especially in the first 35 mins, but a few mistakes at the back allowed Uruguay to score their 2 goals. So the performance was pretty good, but the result not what we were after.

Which is why it was disappointing to hear Gerard Whately on The Offsiders this morning make the following comment (slight paraphrasing):

People spoke all week about how this was a second and third string Socceroos line up and I guess after the performance last night they were proved correct.

To me it seemed like an ignorant comment from someone who hadn't seen the game and just looked at the result and thought "..well they must have been ordinary".

I guess you can look at it and think if all our experienced players were playing then these mistakes more than likely wouldn't have happened and we may have won, which bodes well for the Asian Cup.

The fact we can take on a Top 20 nation like Uruguay with a "second string" side and put in a decent performance bodes well for the future of Australian Football.

I wont comment on the Brad Jones mistake as nothing needs to be said, it was a f**k up of collossal proportions.

I'll sit down and watch the game on replay today and then make a judgment for myself, but if a relatively inexperienced side can can take on a pretty much full strength Uruguay and hold their own then I am not too worried.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Socceroos to play Argentina in September
June 3, 2007 - 11:39AM

The Socceroos' international against Argentina has been re-scheduled for September 11 at the MCG.

Football Federation Australia on Sunday confirmed the new date after Argentina requested the match, originally scheduled for this Wednesday, be postponed.

"We'd like to thank all the fans for their patience and understanding while we finalised a new date for the match," said FFA chief executive Ben Buckley.

"We have worked hard with the Argentinean Association, the Victorian Government and the MCG to set a date in stone which will enable Argentina to bring their best players to Australia.

"We are very grateful for the continued strong support of the government in Victoria through this whole process."

The Argentina clash was originally planned as part of a South American double-header, to follow the Socceroos' World Cup playoff re-match with Uruguay at Telstra Stadium, which Uruguay won 2-1 on Saturday night.
September 8th (we play Mexico in the USA) and September 12th are official FIFA match dates.

I suspect they are playing it the day before a FIFA date to allow more time for the players to get back to Europe, which should see the strongest Socceroos squad possible make the trip.

So we have 3 more months to wait!

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

I was quite impressed with the way we played despite the scoreline. For our 2nd and 3rd tier players to put up a performance was commendable against their first team and I thought it was a disgrace that some people in my area booed at the final whistle.

Apart from Jones' howler it would have been a scoreline I'd have been very happy to take at the start as I was seriously thinking it would be a pasting.

If McDonald wasn't such a goal hungry runt we may have been 3 up as twice Thompson was in the clear running into an open goal but McDonald went for glory instead. The second being from a tightish angle when all he had to do was cut across to his ex-Morwell team mate.

I thought Carle was a spark when he came on. In the second half we petered out a bit. Perhaps Arnold should have introduced him earlier.

Also I thought the atmosphere last night was almost as bad as this effort.

Thank God I chose to get Cat B and ended up on the front row of the top tier rather than the shitfight that was the home end.

Joey
Silver

Post by Joey »

hot_dogma wrote:Apart from Jones' howler it would have been a scoreline I'd have been very happy to take at the start as I was seriously thinking it would be a pasting.

If McDonald wasn't such a goal hungry runt we may have been 3 up as twice Thompson was in the clear running into an open goal but McDonald went for glory instead. The second being from a tightish angle when all he had to do was cut across to his ex-Morwell team mate.

I thought Carle was a spark when he came on. In the second half we petered out a bit. Perhaps Arnold should have introduced him earlier.
I was worried about a pasting too. Could have happened too.

McDonald didn't impress me either, same with Griffiths. They took too long on the ball or were hogs. Sterjovski (who should now, deservedly, have some more credibility within followers) and Emerton destroyed the wings in the first half.

I thought the two A-League players, Carle and Thompson (Allsopp didn't get enough time for me to judge well enough) really showed some tremendous skill, especially against some top-tier European-based players. Thompson's line running and positing was terrific. Some of the triangles that Emerton, Thompson and Carle created also impressed.

By the way, good on Emerton for shoving whoever it was back to the ground after that pathetic dive.

I thought Valeri was strong too. He didn't play as well as Grella can, but he played a holding position very well. Recoba seemed to not like him much either. Does he realise they are actually from the same club?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 15,00.html
Football
Roos chase pot of gold
By Val Migliacciot
June 27, 2007

AUSTRALIA will need to win next month's Asian Cup to reduce Football Federation Australia's spiralling debt.

FFA (Football Federation Australia) is currently believed to be around $3.8 million in the red despite the lucrative deals it signed before and after the World Cup.

This comes after the World Cup "cashcow" has seemingly run dry as the Socceroos prepare for their third biggest tournament.

Australia will "pay to play" in next month's Asian Cup with the Asian Football Confederation not compensating any of the 16 nations at the tournament.

The Asian Cup is expecting to send the Football Federation of Australia into further debt, which could blow out to an estimated $6.8 million if the Socceroos make the final or the third-place play- off.

However Australia can make up for the lack of Asian Cup finances by winning the tournament, which will see them qualify for the 2009 Confederations Cup in South Africa.

This tournament should see the Socceroos earn at least $1.5 million in appearance money plus ongoing bonuses of around $500,000 for each win.

Asia's empty pockets are a stark contrast to the rich UEFA European confederation. UEFA handed out nearly $28 million to Greece for winning EURO 2004, while other nations were guaranteed $7.6 million just for qualifying plus a $950,000 bonus for each group stage win.

The FFA is expected to fork out an estimated $500,000 for each Asian Cup clash with Socceroos wages apparently accounting for most of incurred costs.

The Socceroos are reported to be on at least $5000 a match at the Asian Cup plus payments from player-generated revenue.

The losses also paint a bleak financial picture for Australia's A-League clubs, with only Melbourne Victory believed to be in the black after its premiership.

Even the Fox Sports TV deal, which is estimated to be worth $120 million until 2013, doesn't appear to be lucrative enough to keep the FFA out of debt.

John Aloisi's world famous 2005 penalty allowed the Socceroos a share of FIFA's fortune at last year's World Cup with the national team earning an estimated $9.5 million in prizemoney for the tournament. Nobody was available to comment from the FFA last night.
WTF? No prize money from the Asian Cup, not even for winning the damn thing?

Ricardo
Silver

Post by Ricardo »

There has to be a mistake there, surely the Asian Cup would offer at least $1 million for the winners, i thought this tournament was second only to the European Championships and with the amount of people watching you'd think the sponsorship $$ would boost the prize money.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Nope, it's been reported a bit lately that there is no prizemoney offered. I guess it pays to remember that the AFC has probably never really had a great deal of money at their disposal.

It's probably only in the last few years that people have realised the potential in Asia and when any real money has started flowing into the game.

An officer from the AFC said recently they hope to offer prizemoney for the 2011 Asian Cup.

Also, the AFC Champions League only offers Prize Money for the top few clubs (that will be changed when they reform the competition) as well.

I think it's just a case of the AFC not having sufficient money flow to allow prizemoney.

Now that people realise the massive potential of Asia as a confederation, hopefully they can attract larger sponsorship, which obviously means more money for the AFC which means proper prizemoney can be offered.