AIHL 2007

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Saints-Premiers
Silver

AIHL 2007

Post by Saints-Premiers »

AIHL needs a thread here.

Season starts April 14 for Melbourne Ice (not sure if thats the first round for everyone).

Being involved with the Ice, I can say the Ice want to come out bigger, better and stronger than last season. They have put the semi final loss down to lack of finals hockey experience. Hopefully they'll be wiser for it this year.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Well I hope to get to some games this year.

Saints-Premiers, will you be coming up to Sydney with the Ice?

Saints-Premiers
Silver

Nah, mate. But I'll more than likely be there when the Bears visit us here.

I designed the Ice's new uniforms for either this season or next season. Not sure yet. I also plan to help out at home games.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Good onya. Volunteering at less-than-popular sporting events is something I admire. :D

I think I will support the Sydney Bears. They used to play at Macquarie, where I went to uni and since they are not West Sydney, they are analagous to the NBL's Sydney Kings, my team in this two team town. Playing at Baulkham Hills doesn't help. Travelling by public transport, it is easier for me to get to West Sydney's home ice in Blacktown and line ball for easiness in travelling to Erina to watch the Central Coast. But Sydney it is.

Do you have a fixture list? The AIHL website is out of action.

EDIT: Here it is.

http://www.sydneybears.com.au/v3/docume ... 8-0001.pdf

Hope to make it to some games.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles take a trip down to Canberra, apparently Canberra gets the largest crowds in the AIHL.

Saints-Premiers
Silver

Yeh I wouldn't know the rinks for the NSW teams, but yeh I do know that the Ice's public image is rising, last year it took off a bit, the club featured in the Age and Herald Sun around finals time and on Any Given Sunday even after the season. Hopefully their profile can increase further even more. Steph, the media manager, is doing a good job promoting the club to the media. Hopefully it can rise. I didn't get down to too many late season games last year but by all reports, with those media stories, they were packing out the Oakleigh Rink (about 1000 seats I'd say). I can't wait for them to move to Docklands (if they do in fact move there).

Yeh, I don't know what happened to the AIHL website the last few months its been down.

Egan, do they have decent rinks (for AIHL standards) in Perth? We need a team there.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

so is there is an ice epedemic in australia right now?

Saints-Premiers
Silver

the crow wrote:so is there is an ice epedemic in australia right now?
Yes.

Gazmon
Bronze

Post by Gazmon »

Not sure if I can follow the bears this year with all the issues involving SIA (Sydney Ice Arena), which I am closely aligned to. Shame the new Emporers cannot get an AIHL franchise, maybe in future.

That said, I think I may just not support a team and just enjoy the hockey.

Can't wait until Jan 08 - NHL All Star Game, here we come!!!!

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Do they ever mention the AIHL on SEN? I could imagine the Made in the USA program on Sunday nights would be the ideal vehicle for promotion.

Saints-Premiers
Silver

I've emailed the Born in the USA crew, not sure if they mentioned anything on air. I do know, however, that the Saturday night overnight guys (One Week at a Time 12am - 6am sunday mornings) are pretty keen followers of the hockey, they even ranked the Ice at No.6 i think for their power-rankings of teams that are hot.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Gazmon wrote:Not sure if I can follow the bears this year with all the issues involving SIA (Sydney Ice Arena), which I am closely aligned to. Shame the new Emporers cannot get an AIHL franchise, maybe in future.

Can you please elaborate. We are a bit short on Ice Hockey news here.

Who are the Emperors?
What happened with the Bears and SIA? Is it a continuation of the conflict that saw Sydney move during the filming of Dancing on Ice at Baulkham Hills?
Last edited by Jeffles on Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Saints-Premiers wrote: Egan, do they have decent rinks (for AIHL standards) in Perth? We need a team there.
If a capacity of 200 people is considered decent then Cockburn Ice Rink in Bibra Lake is AIHL standards.

There are other ice rinks in Padbury and Mirrabooka, but I have no idea the capacity.

I have been to Canberra's Icerink, and apparently they have only one icerink in the whole city at Woden, and the venue seemed identical to Cockburn.

So if that venue at Woden is good enough then Cockburn (Fremantle) side has a venue capable of a AIHL team.

Saints-Premiers
Silver

Having only been to the Oakleigh Rink, I'd say its a tad too small, but if its the same as Canberra then I don't see why a team won't be based there in the future (apart from the obvious costs of sending teams over there - More Double Points Games.)

Gazmon
Bronze

Post by Gazmon »

Jeffles wrote:
Gazmon wrote:Not sure if I can follow the bears this year with all the issues involving SIA (Sydney Ice Arena), which I am closely aligned to. Shame the new Emporers cannot get an AIHL franchise, maybe in future.

Can you please elaborate. We are a bit short on Ice Hockey news here.

Who are the Emperors?
What happened with the Bears and SIA? Is it a continuation of the conflict that saw Sydney move during the filming of Dancing on Ice at Baulkham Hills?
Well, SIA kicked out the Bears during DOI, the Bears moved games to Blacktown and Penrith with a 'deal' in place to come back to SIA once the show was over.

However, the Bears decided against it, told SIA to basically shove their rink up their arse and are now based at Blacktown. One of the Managers at SIA decided to start his own team, the Emporers.