RWC

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
SNogan
Bronze

RWC

Post by SNogan »

It's disappointing the ARU has scheduled so many games outside of the Sydney heartland. Hopefully those in Perth Melbourne and Adeliade can get along to some great games of rugby.

The closest venue to me is Central Coast stadium and to see Ireland and Argentina have been drawn to play there is good, but its disappointing that the much awaited game between the two will be shown in Adeliade of all places.

The finals are out of the question due to the pricing and the few tickets available, the ARU should learn from leagues past mistakes and build on the heartland-- WHy should they waste their time trying to spread the game in afl territory.

There should have been a pre-release for the 'rugby community' in this second round coming on sale, chances are my ticket preferences for all the sydney games im going to see wont be available.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Rugby World Cup has a huge amount of games, can you imagine the logistical problems if the World Cup in NSW hosted 75% of matches with Brisbane 25% which are the rugby heartlands aswell as townsvill, canberra, wollongong. Aswell as not reaching the wider population it also does not allow the nation to fully support the world cup. Why becaue of better support should you be more likely to see it then another citizen in Perth. The games in Perth will be well supported as will the games in the other states. The pinnacle event is in Sydney. Newcastle missed out as it has a pathetic stadium as did the WACA for its even worse stadium (can't even believe they bidded). The fact is the Rugby World Cup was aimed at the whole nation not the rugby heartlands. Hope you enjoy the Ireland versus Argentine game. The reason of spreading as the name is called the AUSTRALIAN WALLABIES not the NEW SOUTH WALES WALLABIES and australians will support the team as is evident by recent crowds, its time to let go of the past and see that the future of Rugby Union is it being spread around the nation. I for one congratulate the huge spread around the nation of the games, should be supported by everyone.

guy41
Bronze

darwin

Post by guy41 »

Did Darwin not get a game because of its venue, because I thought they played rugby more than Launceston. By the way York Park looks good now.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

The Rugby World Cup is an Australian event, not a New South Wales event.
The Event is a 'national' event, not a 'state/city' event, same with the Cricket and Soccer World Cups.
The ARU are trying to grow. What's the point of focusing on one state?

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

If I remember correctly, the last few Wallabies games at Subiaco were very well attended, and I wouldn't worry too much about Launceston being outside of Rugby heartland. There is only one game at York Park and I am sure that it will be well attended, considering there is only one game.
Sydney has got plenty of games over the entire month of RWC. Surely spreading the games across Australia is beneficial for the profile of Rugby.

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

If I were a Union administratior I'd be putting more than Italy v Argentina at Gosford if I wanted a Super 12 franchise there. Neither side will be anywhere near the finals.

The interesting thing is that by having such a crap game at Gosford, and completely ignoring Newcastle, a major centre in Union's chief area - NSW country, the major spoting event in regional NSW will remain the Newcastle Knigts every second week.

Spreading Union around Australia is a good marketing ploy, but what does that mean in the long term? Union is only a minor sport. I cannot sustain any consistent advances into any other market. Hell, it only provides a handful of games into Sydney, Canberra and brisbane each year.

All Adelaide, Perth, Launceston, Melbourne et al will get is an exhibition match. Nothnig more, nothing less.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

They had to organise the games based on estimated attendance and ticket demand. Holding a game there for one of the contenders is a waste if more tickets will be sold at a larger venue than Gosford.

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

Marathon is larger by about 3000 people. Bugger all really. Unless, of course, they can't get that many to a crap Union game.

guy41
Bronze

d

Post by guy41 »

I thought they picked gosford cause it was halfway between sydney and newcastle

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It's to do with facilities. Energy Australia is just too poor a ground to hold the match at. Even WIN Stadium has better corporate facilities.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

I think the reason the RWC will not be at Newcastle is because there were perceived problems with making EnergyAustralia Stadium a 'CLEAN' (sponsorship free) stadium. These problems were more easily dealt with at Gosford and Wollongong.

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

Snogan and Misty Bee are both idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rugby is a nationwide sport, it is advancing in Victoria and WA as well as the rest of thew nation. The Romaina and Namibia game at York park was a sell out, it would have never been a sell out in Sydney.

It's people like you two that are dragging the sport from being spread further, get some brains you dumbas$$'s

my eagle eye
Bronze

Post by my eagle eye »

If Rugby is the game they play in heaven then I'd rather be in hell.

Long live Rugby League.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Snogan and Misty Bee are both idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rugby is a nationwide sport, it is advancing in Victoria and WA as well as the rest of thew nation. The Romaina and Namibia game at York park was a sell out, it would have never been a sell out in Sydney.
Now there's a case of the pot calling the kettle black. You've underestimated the "event" crowd at these matches. To quote the Tasmanian RU boss at York Park "Most people won't have a clue what's going on" (he seriously said that).

The scheduling of matches ll around the country worked a treat. Greta tickte sales and poublicity. But Rugby Union (like RL) is firmly entrenched in NSW, Qld and ACT with small followings elsewhere.

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

You also forget that the WC was swollen by thousands of britis, Kiwi and SA Union fans, who had to buy tickets to other games to get finals tickets.. To suggest that Union is ahead of, or even near League in terms of popularity is rather stuipid.