Australian baseball

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Egan wrote:
nobleoz wrote:Norwood Oval :)
I would say that was Baseball helping Australian Rules football. Because it was Baseball that brought lights that were suitable to play matches at night, not just for football but for baseball as well.
That was definitely the case at Moorabbin.

If it wasn't for the Reds moving there after Waverley Linton St wouldn't have lights that are capable of hosting night matches if they wanted to.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

From the information I have got today it seems as if Canberra will get the 6th ABL license...

docker
Bronze

Post by docker »

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Can't believe you guys missed this one.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 89,00.html
Major League Baseball backs Australian Baseball League

By Bernie Pramberg

November 23, 2009 11:00pm

AMERICAN sporting giant Major League Baseball will underwrite the new Australian Baseball League for at least five years.

MLB's Peter Wermuth, who is in Brisbane this week working on infrastructure of the league to be launched next year, said it was the first time his organisation had been financially involved in backing a national competition outside the US.

Wermuth's visit included his first look at a live cricket match when he attended Sunday's All Stars v Australian XI Twenty20 game at the Gabba.

"It was well done . . . interesting," Wermuth said.

The ABL is expected to start in October 2010 and will involve six teams, with another two expected to be added within two years.

Teams from Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Canberra will each play 40 games, with the playoffs to be held in February.

"This is a first-time involvement for MLB outside the US," Wermuth said.

"The fact you are in the southern hemisphere means professional players in America and Japan can play the off-season in Australia."

Wermuth said the quality of Australian baseball, which has more than 100 players involved professionally in the US and Asia, was another reason for MLB's commitment.

"I don't think the public here realise just how good the standard of play is," he said.

"The priority is to make the ABL self-sufficient and to showcase Australian talent."

Each team will be allowed a number of imports, probably be limited to four.

Wermuth said the quality of venues in some states was a problem.

"The lack of facilities is kind of surprising considering the standard of the game here," he said.

"The baseball facilities are definitely inferior to places like Italy and Holland."

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

"The lack of facilities is kind of surprising considering the standard of the game here," he said.

"The baseball facilities are definitely inferior to places like Italy and Holland."
Mostly talking about QLD, SA and ACT when he mentions these inferior facilities.

Will be interesting to see the success of the ABL.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Bernie Pramberg - I'm pretty sure he was on Southern Cross Radio (2UE and 4BC) rugby league broadcasts. Haven't seen his name for ten years.

I heard about this on Grandstand the other week. I'd go to watch a game.

dan027
Bronze

Post by dan027 »

Egan wrote:

Mostly talking about QLD, SA and ACT when he mentions these inferior facilities.

Will be interesting to see the success of the ABL.
I dare say he would also be referring to Melbourne, the writing is well and truly on the wall for Altona, with no Claxton Shield games there this season and zero intention to use it for the new ABL.

Geelong's playing facilities are first class best i have seen, but spectator facilities(seating) leaves alot for improvement, i went to the the vic vs nsw game there on saturday night, also with alot of radio advertisment down there and the offer of half price entry for geelong football club members did not seem to produce any none baseball fans to the games.

However friday night there was a large crowd of 2200 for the game at la trobe uni, which is a very good sign for the new league even better with a central stadium i would think.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Punt Rd conversion would be perfect...

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

I had the thought of using the RNA here in Brisbane. Not sure how well it would work, but its central location would be hard to ignore, including new lights and plenty of carparking and good Public Transport access. I guess it all depends on how many people they think should be attending. This year's facility at Newmarket looks okay, access would be an issue but not impossible. If you look at the map (Market Street, Newmarket), it is directly to the north of Brisbane City's home ground (of NSL fame)

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Headquarters of ABL is on Gold Coast.

Be interesting if they could put the baseball venue for when Gold Coast gets a team next to Robina Stadium...

dan027
Bronze

Post by dan027 »

Egan wrote:Punt Rd conversion would be perfect...
Its all gone quiet on the punt road idea, im certain the first year will be played out at la trobe uni, unless they have an upcoming announcement very soon...

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I've been told there is an announcement coming before January on the new ABL...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

beastjim wrote:I had the thought of using the RNA here in Brisbane. Not sure how well it would work, but its central location would be hard to ignore, including new lights and plenty of carparking and good Public Transport access. I guess it all depends on how many people they think should be attending. This year's facility at Newmarket looks okay, access would be an issue but not impossible. If you look at the map (Market Street, Newmarket), it is directly to the north of Brisbane City's home ground (of NSL fame)
It looked a good venue in the old ABL days.

dan027
Bronze

Post by dan027 »

Been looking around afew websites and found some good pictures from the recent games, i will add afew as i have the time.

Norwood Oval, original hosted ABL team Adelaide Giants was renowned for its poor lighting back then. Two home series have been hosted there so far, the first against Queensland Rams which attracted 1600 to the Friday night game and the second series against Perth Heat attracted 1590 to the Friday night game

Setting up Norwood to Baseball format

View up the first base line

View of Diamond from the stand

dan027
Bronze

Post by dan027 »

La Trobe University, With all games except one being played in Geeling this year for the Victoria Aces, A crowd of 2,200 turned up for the Friday game against New South Wales Patriots defeating nsw in a come from behind victory 3-2 late in the game.

Crowd shot behind the net

National Anthem

Redmond ex-Waverley/Melbourne Reds mascot in the ABL now the Victoria Aces mascot

Aces Pitcher with a view of the score board

Excellent double play photo