Mothers Day Football

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

Mothers Day Football

Post by Jeffles »

IS it good? The AFL got two 12,000ish crowds in Melbourne on they day. Penrith got 18,000 in NRL, Newcastle got 14,000 ish and Brisbane got 13,000ish in NRL too.

I think it is a goer. Don't look at the AFL crowds. Dogs-Freo would draw no one at the best of times. And Dees fans don't often come out in droves. I think a match with the bigger clubs would've done well. Having said that, Mothers Day would be a great chance for smaller clubs to draw crowds. I'll explain how.

With so many families going to football Mother's Day sport makes perfect sense. Many NRL clubs have promos like free giftbags for mums, discounted entry for mums with their kids, etc although I didn't hear of anything this year because I wasn't paying attention. Maybe if the AFL (poorer clubs) got onto this idea they'd draw better on the day. The Dogs and Dees had a great chance but couldn't quite do it. They way the Dogs played I'm not surprised no one went.

My point is that football can wok well complimentary to a special occassion or holiday. Mothers Day should be no different.