WAFL Attendance Figures

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

JF - WAFL footy is not about the standard of the game its like the SANFL...is the very essence of Western Australian sporting identity...its got a close affiliation and seriously every time I am at the ground am entertained...I have always enjoyed watching WAFL footy...and it is the football that has given me my greatest job...over and above what entertainment AFL has given me...the supporters are in the grandstand at Leederville Oval and this is not shown...the crowds they do submit seem accurate to the tee...if you are at the ground and spend a long time analysing it...like I do sometimes

Hope you enjoyed the WAFL program...although I have no idea why the Dockers and Eagles are in the programs which irritates me.

Rob I agree, but seriously think about those who have to cover the game...a 2 day weekend...its AFL who are scheduling the games on Saturdays which they never used to do...and effectively if they change the days...they change tradition, off set alot of fans (Sunday games dont neccesarily work, rest day, family picnics etc) and really let the AFL dictate when they can and can't play football.

Plus Joondalup managed to get a rather respectable crowd to the venue and Swan Districts/Subiaco and Sth Fremantle Crowd have been up a huge amount.

The East Perth fan base has plummeted after they had nearly every match during the glory days in the 2000+category.

Temps of 28 on Saturday should bring the crowds out to the games...and I am looking forward to watching WAFL footy once again.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

For a guernsey it makes a great billboard. Ewwww!

Speaking of low attendance figures, I want to go watch Sydney AFL at Henson Park. Are HD or JF up for that?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Swan Dist v West Perth at Steel Blue 2,476
Subiaco v East Perth at Leederville 1,984
South Frem v Claremont at Fremantle 1,740
Perth v Peel at EFTel 1,338

Slightly dissapointing...fine weekend...the Perth v Peel and swan Districts v West Perth are very good however...the South Frem v Claremont (2nd v 3rd) is a shocking attendance.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

East Perth v Swan Dist at Leederville 2,161
East Frem v Perth at Geraldton 1,983
West Perth v South Frem at Joondalup 1,507
Peel v Subiaco at Rushton 1,125

The game at Joondalup and leederville are great crowds for the conditions and the game.

Peel crowd, well it was obvious that Subi Supporters dont travel, but with never being in a finals series its always going to struggle, getting that many people is a creditable effort...its a challenge for people to change traditional teams to the Thunder.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Peel has the same problems as South Adelaide when it comes to pulling crowds. Bugger all success, and an absolute hike for away supporters.

Crowds of around 2,000 are alright. Not as high as say... Egan's post count, but still alright.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

So I take it the feral girls aren't an incentive to make the trip on the 5000 Class railmotor to Noarlunga.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Heh... the Noarlunga line. Beautiful scenery along the line, with plenty of hills, coastal views, teenagers with 15 pieces of metal sticking out of their faces...

The selling point of Adelaide trains is that they're running on a 20/80 biodiesel mixture.
Last edited by yob on Wed May 18, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Add to the fact Subi fans travelling south have to sit on the grass...no away facilities for travelling fans :lol:

But a 2 million dollar upgrade of the ground should change this...350 seat stand for away supporters and demolition of the old grandstand with a whole new stand.
teenagers with 15 pieces of metal sticking out of their faces...
Sounds like Forrest Place in the city. :lol:

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote: Peel crowd, well it was obvious that Subi Supporters dont travel, but with never being in a finals series its always going to struggle, getting that many people is a creditable effort...its a challenge for people to change traditional teams to the Thunder.
I don't think so, it's purely because they're shite, although the fact Rushton Park is a dump of a ground doesn't help. But if they were top 4 they would be getting 3-4,000 a game.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

In 30 years time Mandurah is predicted to have 180,000 people (or nearly the size of Hobart), I hope when its this size we are getting 5-6,000 a week as it is our cities biggest sporting organisation in a very highly populated area...nearly the size of Hobart. No wonder why they need to bring the train down now!

58,000 people in Mandurah at moment, with all the kids that go to the game, lets hope they bring their kids to the game when they grow up.

Rushton Park will have a totally different face in a few years, a modern ground with fantastic facilities.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:In 30 years time Mandurah is predicted to have 180,000 people (or nearly the size of Hobart), I hope when its this size we are getting 5-6,000 a week as it is our cities biggest sporting organisation in a very highly populated area...nearly the size of Hobart. No wonder why they need to bring the train down now!

58,000 people in Mandurah at moment, with all the kids that go to the game, lets hope they bring their kids to the game when they grow up.

Rushton Park will have a totally different face in a few years, a modern ground with fantastic facilities.
I should hope so....they don't need anything special, just something similar to the other WAFL grounds. i.e a half decent members grandstand seating about 1000, a small grandstand for away supporters seating a few hundred, and a hill circling the rest of the ground, perhaps a small terraced area with a shelter.

At the moment they don't have any of them. What the hell is that building on the outer wing? Talk about taking up good viewing space. Demolish the bastard and put up a decent grassed bank!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Hehe that is owned by the Netball down here, is the association's function room, canteen and backs onto Rushton park. I always thought they would do something like they did with the stand next to the clubrooms on the other side that only seats about 150-200 people in boxes...and just build a second tier on top of the building...all they have done presently is let Mandurah Toyota put its name on the roof...but Im sure Mandurah Toyota can get naming rights for the stand :wink:

Pssst - A tip to get into Rushton Park free for WAFL games, go through the netball courts and the gate is left open for anyone just to sit out and get a free ticket to the WAFL...have only done it once...since the thunder needs my dollar.

All development will be going on the Dower St side of the road.

I haven't been to Rushton all this year, and I find myself going to Joondalup this week, hope the good crowds at that venue continues.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

West Perth v Claremont at Joondalup 1,814
East Frem v Subiaco at East Fremantle 1,443
Peel v Swan Dist at Rushton 1,218
East Perth v South Frem at Leederville 1,160

Bottom sides playing the top sides had some affect on crowd numbers...1814 looked a very generous figure for the Joondalup game. Apparently these are not official crowds because the WAFL do not release Official crowds anymore.

But anyhow they are figures that are more then just estimations.

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

why wouldn't the WAFL be counting the crowd figures. Are they that ashamed of them. :cry: :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Swan Dist v East Frem at Steel Blue 2,185
Subiaco v Perth at Leederville 1,995
South Frem v Peel at Fremantle 1,580
Claremont v East Perth at Claremont 1,474

So Matt and Sam who went to the game with me on Saturday...do you really think it got up to 1580?

Was probably around 1200 I am expecting.

A good crowd for the other two games...Swans should have a big crowd in a few weeks time when they play top of the ladder subiaco...hopefully 2750+